Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM

239 posts, read 280,974 times

Advertisements

Stay far away from graduate school. PhDs (especially in Chemistry) are a dime a dozen, i.e. over saturated. Unless you want to join the academia (professor), in which the PhD is absolutely required. And this requirement is brought to you by the federal gov which literally requires a PhD to apply for grants from the big agencies.

I'm surprised MSChemist80 hasn't chimed in about chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL I guess you have NO CLUE that the ADMIN is the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON in the realm of executives in major companies and totally indispensable. It's THEIR door you have to go through. AND they normally have the advanced knowledge of the company business and are also the confidant to the executive(s). As a Product Manager in my Fortune 10 company, I was pulled to work next to our business unit President for 6 months - who ended up being sentenced to 6 years in federal prison. Trust me when I tell you one night in a hotel two guys delivered an envelope for him, that I had the lawyer come up and open with me and found huge bribes in there. It was MY JOB to stop it THERE and not expose the guy to shenanigans.

When my boss was looking for an Executive Assistant he went to the Economics forecasting group and hired the smartest one they had with the best personality. They ALL had PhDs BTW. She never left his side for about 3 years straight. EVERY single meeting etc. She worked 24/7 365. His P&L was 5 BILLION dollars and this is in 1992. She was a integral part of the corporate strategies that he was developing and she was also his eyes and ears. PLENTY of upper management got the boot after she witnessed nonsense coming from them. Of course, she was a brilliant person and proved it daily. But PHOTOCOPYING was not beneath her either.
How much did the assitant make by being on call 24/7/365? With the money the admin made the company, she made 100,000s right?

But what i dont understand is how is this a dead end job. Careers aren't like school where you put in x years then promote to next grade for just showing up. The assitant jobs seems like it would give you room to learn company and when one of those scientist jobs you want open, you can apply for it internally. The company already knows you, you know how it operates, and admin can put in a good word for you so you get a step up on competition.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:22 AM

21 posts, read 37,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
How much did the assitant make by being on call 24/7/365? With the money the admin made the company, she made 100,000s right?

But what i dont understand is how is this a dead end job. Careers aren't like school where you put in x years then promote to next grade for just showing up. The assitant jobs seems like it would give you room to learn company and when one of those scientist jobs you want open, you can apply for it internally. The company already knows you, you know how it operates, and admin can put in a good word for you so you get a step up on competition.
I'm the ~only~ admin in our office, so I think it's likely to be the opposite. The boss wouldn't want to lose me because I'm the only one, and he'd have to retrain someone else and go through a lot of trouble.

I'm looking diligently for a new job because I don't want to do this for another week, let alone a year or the rest of my life. I'm fed up with the constant verbal abuse and being scolded no matter how hard I try. I'm disgusted with my boss and the entire situation, I feel like a fool for working there. This job is ruining my health. I'm actually thinking of quitting because it's making me completely miserable and I'm pushing family and friends away. Every day I spend there is a day I'm farther away from a job I actually want. Meh.

I need the money to pay off my loan, and there's no other work around here. I don't have the money to move. I feel like an idiot. I paid over 30k so I could work for some asshat and want to hang myself every day. I feel like a fool for trusting anyone when they said this would be a good idea.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:04 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
We're in a long term deflationary recession, regardless of what the numbers say. There are still 40M people, not retired, floating around in the grey economy, who dropped out of the work force after the 2008 crash.

A different strategy is required, starting out. As an analogy: with the stock market, the crucial determinant for long term returns is asset allocation. With jobs, the crucial determinant for getting a good job is being where the jobs are.

With some research, you can figure out where the jobs are and get there before you are trapped in the provinces. You do better with this strategy than targeting companies piecemeal: once the company you target and you part company, then you have the headache of "how the heck do I get out"? - As you have no doubt read here, companies do not hire long distance candidates. So, you're in the same boat, stuck in the provinces with NO job this time, and with more baggage to move. Eventually, if you are good, you will not be stuck in a local market - there are quite a few jobs not at C-level for which nationwide searches are conducted. For you (and your peers in the junior ranks, for lack of a better term), you are not yet in that tier.

It does not matter if you like the place. Nothing matters more than being in a "high jobs" area, and getting your feet onto a moving escalator. Do whatever you need to do to position yourself appropriately.

For younger people in their first several jobs: think through the "how do I get out after the music is over" scenario. Position yourself in a high jobs area to begin with, before you get cemented into the provinces. At a minimum, even if it's a concrete jungle, you can walk across the street (figuratively) and hire on with a competitor. Ten tough years later, you WILL have the base of experience and accomplishment that will permit you to move to an area where you actually want to be.

Or, you can stay where you are. Imagine yourself twenty years later, stuck for life as a cashier at a 7-11 or a real estate salesman.

It's a tough world. Unforgiving to people who do not think ahead to the ways in which they may become trapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment