Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:18 AM

908 posts, read 960,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
I don't have any money to get additional degrees, and I already have a ton of student loan debt. I know that people here want to give me wonderful scorn and ask me why I didn't major in something my brain is incapable of doing, but whatever.

The thing is, I don't want to be a welder or a mechanic. I just wonder when we stopped being able to do with our lives what we really wanted to do with them.
sooo... what exactly is it that you wanted to do with your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 11:20 AM

908 posts, read 960,498 times
i'm not saying everyone should be a STEM major. clearly not. but certain things aren't magic -- people CAN learn skills and knowledge in mechanics, math, health sciences. that's why it's called SCHOOL, not wizardry.

and to people like mastmartam and those in her situation -- i'm not bashing. i'm trying to give advice. as I said I worked as a college advisor for years. I don't wish a minimum wage job on anyone over 18.

Last edited by cis_love; 02-03-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 11:24 AM

60 posts, read 140,181 times
Relocation can be a double-edged sword (much like the vicious cycle of needing more experience to get a job, but you can't get the experience without getting a job). If you move without having gotten a job first, you may run out of money before getting a job. Or if you apply to out-of-state jobs prior to moving, your resume often is tossed aside for people already living in that area.*

*Sure, if you're the very best in your field and went to Harvard and have 20 years of experience, maybe they'd hire you, but for us Average Joes...maybe not so much.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM

687 posts, read 616,169 times
Thanks to everyone for sharing your financial situation. It's good to hear how other people are living. I'm always so taken aback on this forum how quickly people are judged and asked to defend themselves over a few words spoken anonymously over the internet. It's really hard to understand how the anyone thinks that's appropriate at all.

Anyway, I'm happy to hear that at least in the past people with college degrees were making more money than they do now. I came into the job market with a degree not knowing anything other than these abysmal wages.

I interviewed for positions that wanted to pay 10 - 11/hr while requiring a Bachelor's in a STEM field (I live in a relatively high COL area). I finally took a job after 6 mo for 11/hr because I wanted to at least stay in my field, and I could get away with it because I was living rent-free at my boyfriend's and could devote 1/2 my paycheck to paying off student loans. After 6 mo I got a raise to 14/hr, which still felt like a blow considering the work I was doing (no benefits, either). After a year and some I got a raise to 16/hr, and now I'm taking another job at a competing company for 17.50/hr plus extensive benefits (this will be my first job I've ever had with benefits) after my company stated they could not afford to offer me anything better. I'm 28. And now my boyfriend is going back to school and I'm the breadwinner.

The thing is, I've gotten to know all the companies doing this work in my area. All have been struggling since 2008. When they say they don't have the money, they really don't. They are small businesses. The reason why the company I am now working for can afford to give benefits and a higher wage (I'm definitely looking for a raise after 6 months) is because a businessman with a background in banking decided to invest in their company and is injecting them with new capital. And my previous company cannot compete with that but is barely recovering from the debts in 2009. So, it's hard to be bitter at them as much as at the entire situation, and I feel I've done pretty well all considering.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 AM

847 posts, read 1,350,951 times
I think one of the biggest issues that people coming out of school even with a degree that is not deemed "worthless" is that they don't prepare themselves to enter the workforce. They go through school, get average grades, and graduate. They never attempt to get out and work any internships or co-ops, don't do any type of networking, or even step foot in a job fair.

Once one is out of school for a few years still working retail or other dead end jobs it becomes that much more difficult to find that entry level job that gets their foot in the door somewhere that will help him or her start a career.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:03 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I think one of the biggest issues that people coming out of school even with a degree that is not deemed "worthless" is that they don't prepare themselves to enter the workforce. They go through school, get average grades, and graduate. They never attempt to get out and work any internships or co-ops, don't do any type of networking, or even step foot in a job fair.

Once one is out of school for a few years still working retail or other dead end jobs it becomes that much more difficult to find that entry level job that gets their foot in the door somewhere that will help him or her start a career.
I did workstudy in college and worked parttime/fulltime as well. Even the internships and work isn't enough for entry level jobs these days.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM

847 posts, read 1,350,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I did workstudy in college and worked parttime/fulltime as well. Even the internships and work isn't enough for entry level jobs these days.
If one finds the right internship and impresses those that need impressing, many times that same company will extend a full time offer after graduation.

I know this is not always the case but it's pretty easy to at least find out what internships are prone to do this.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:46 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
If one finds the right internship and impresses those that need impressing, many times that same company will extend a full time offer after graduation.

I know this is not always the case but it's pretty easy to at least find out what internships are prone to do this.
Fair enough.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 18,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

Anyone raising family working a job making $15 or less an hour? Any tips I am almost 28 and feel life is not going anywhere.
I raised 3 kids on $12 an hour with lots of overtime and occasional child support. We lived in a very low col area which helped and made very frugal choices. We lived in a small house, drove an older car, shopped Aldis, thrift shops etc. I did try going back to school but studying on top of overtime and parenting didn't work out. It wasn't easy, but we managed and in the area I live in most people are in the same boat. Manufacturing is what drives employment in this area.

So now the kids are raised, I have remarried, still at $12 an hour (different job, long story), and I am planning to move in about a year and go to community college. More because I hate factory work than to make more money although that will certainly be a welcome bonus.

As far as feeling stuck, I can certainly empathize with that. Honestly, you might need to move or go back to school or both. Some thinking outside of the box and some risk are going to be required to make your life what ever it is that you would like it to be. If you don't have kids at this time, live as frugally as possible. Cut out everything you don't need to live and save, save, save. Consider getting a second job as well, then, when you are ready, make your move, whatever that may be. If you have kids already its more complicated, will definitely take longer, but it is still doable. If you don't like the path you are on change it. It won't be easy, you will make mistakes, but it is worth it in the end.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,021 times
My gf makes $14/hr and works 50 hrs/wk. She also gets full benefits at a pretty reasonable price. She is 21 with no work experience and has been at our job for about 6 months. She works very hard (physical work) however, and I'm sure not a lot could handle it. She has an app on her phone that tracks how much she walks a day, and she averages 6 or 7 miles each day at work and some days as much as 10 miles. Not to mention, it is all out doors and we work up north. This morning it was below 0, and she's been outside the entire day.

She does very good and works very hard. They are very appreciative of her work and I know it's more than most people could handle. I feel bad sometimes she works as hard as she does while I sit in an office and make about 5x what she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment