Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times

Advertisements

First some back story. I'll try to make it as concise as possible.

I dropped out of college 17 years ago. My husband was in grad school, I was doing a bachelors in music education. We decided to go ahead and get married instead of waiting to finish school, then we accidentally got pregnant. I dropped out since he was so much farther along in school than I was...he was almost done with his program. I was just starting and one of us needed a job. While he finished school, I worked for a couple years in the accounting office of a general contractor doing what I guess would be considered forensic accounting. I basically had to sleuth out where the problems arose in our accounts that didn't balance. It was an entry level position. I had no accounting experience when I got the job through a temp agency. This began as primarily a data entry position and grew into more.

After two years, my husband finished school, we relocated and he got a job. I became a stay at home mom. I haven't worked in 15 years (4 children and then some years of homeschooling). I am now ready to re-enter (or actually enter) the workforce. I am looking for a career and willing to start in an entry level position as long as there is room for upward mobility. Money isn't as big an issue as career enjoyment. I am willing and able to do a volunteer internship to help me figure out where I want to be.

My biggest concern is how do I get my foot in the door after all these years. I have no resume to speak of. Before my short time in accounting, I worked as a waitress in a few different restaurants. In one place I spent three years, creating and managing our training program and leading opening teams to open stores in new locations. I am very motivated, smart and driven.

I know I'll need some updating on my technology skills. Any advice on basic programs and skills that are needed in a wide variety of fields would be appreciated. I am proficient in basic word processing and can use Excel, although I haven't really kept up with updates to those programs over the years. I regularly use social media in my personal life. I have a smart phone and use it with apps for home management.

I'm pretty excited about doing something new. The last 15 years were not the ideal lifestyle for me. I am more of a corporate ladder climber personality, but it was very beneficial for my children. My MBTI is E/INTJ, if that helps with any advice. But please don't give me the standard career suggestions for my type. I am familiar with them and really, most of them require and advanced degree. I am not interested in going to college right now. I would have enjoyed pursuing a PhD or other professional degree when I was younger, but that time is passed. I don't want to lose any more time. I'm just looking for advice and stories on how other women have personally dealt with this issue.

Some things I have considered:

1) Real Estate - Not sure if this would be a good thing for me or not. My biggest concern is a lack of structure. I do best in an established structure that I have the freedom to improve upon.

2) Project Management - Since I have worked in the construction industry, and given that a lack of college degree likely wouldn't be a huge negative in this culture, I thought I might be able to quickly work up from an administrative assistant to a project manager. I enjoy managing projects. I like things that have a beginning and an end and I am the sort who is always searching for the next thing to move on to.

3) Technical Writing and/or advertising - I enjoy writing and I am fairly good at it. I do have writing samples that I can share with a potential employer, but nothing that has been published. Once I got a few contract positions and proved myself, I think it would be fairly easy to move into more advanced positions since I would be judged on the quality of my work rather than a degree. I think I am pretty creative with marketing ideas and such, but don't have any experience in that at all.

I'd love any and all advice for how to proceed and also advice on careers I may not have considered. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
I think to enter anything at this point you would need some formal training. Not only to learn but also to add to your credibility with potential employers. It'll be hard for you to compete with others who have been working all this time. Attending a formal program (that has a good and verifiable record of placing people after completion) can be helpful.

I would narrow down what you want to do (make it specific) and do some research regarding the demand for those things in your area. After making sure there is demand, research the programs offered in your community and if they offer placement services and how good those services are.

Best of luck

Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
I only skimmed, and I saw that money wasn't the biggest issue, but my question would be...

Is $ an issue at all?

Because if it is not, then I would just do what you love or like a lot. Whether that be art, making jewelry or purple candles that smell like chocolate. Whatever.

That's what I would do. It goes without saying that I will never find that myself in that situation.

If you need to bring home a little $, then I'd work 20 hours a week at Home Depot or something and then also do the above.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I only skimmed, and I saw that money wasn't the biggest issue, but my question would be...

Is $ an issue at all?

Because if it is not, then I would just do what you love or like a lot. Whether that be art, making jewelry or purple candles that smell like chocolate. Whatever.

That's what I would do. It goes without saying that I will never find that myself in that situation.

If you need to bring home a little $, then I'd work 20 hours a week at Home Depot or something and then also do the above.
My husband's job provides for our basic needs but not a lot of extra. So I don't have anything to invest in a start up situation. But honestly, I'm not an artsy sort. My husband would LOVE to quit his job and work in the arts. But we need his paycheck. I am more of a management person. I love team oriented work and people. I wouldn't be happy working alone, for the most part, unless it was in some sort of research field where I then collaborated with a team.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM

206 posts, read 404,453 times
I have three tips for you, and for anyone in your position:

1. Network
2. Network
3. Network

That means telling everyone you bump into that you are looking for work along the three lines you outlined above. Try to get from every single person you talk to the name of at least one other person to talk to. You are not asking for a job; you are asking for information about your desired work path. Try and set up at least one phone call or in-person meeting each week, and be sure to (a) thank the person for their time about a week later, and (b) keep in touch to let the person know what happened with the contact they gave you and what you're up to now. This way, you're reminding them of your existence and of your past conversation, so that if something relevant comes to their attention, they'll think of you.

Eventually -- and it could be a few weeks or it could be several long months -- someone will know of something specific that you should pursue.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I think to enter anything at this point you would need some formal training. Not only to learn but also to add to your credibility with potential employers. It'll be hard for you to compete with others who have been working all this time. Attending a formal program (that has a good and verifiable record of placing people after completion) can be helpful.

I would narrow down what you want to do (make it specific) and do some research regarding the demand for those things in your area. After making sure there is demand, research the programs offered in your community and if they offer placement services and how good those services are.

Best of luck
My local community college has a "Computer Basics for Job Seekers" class. But it teaches things that I use every day. Here is the description:

Conquer your fear of technology! Learn basic computer skills that can enhance your search for employment. This course will familiarize you with your computer - how it works and your desktop environment. You'll sharpen your keyboarding skills, learn how to create an email address, send and receive attachments, and use email effectively in your job search.

Do you think that would be helpful just for the line on the resume?

I'm not quite ready to dive into a full-blown multi-year certification program. I'm just not that sure what I want to do. I will likely start at a temp agency and hopefully get enough temp positions that I can work in a few industries. I guess that class would help me get the temp positions...

Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
My husband's job provides for our basic needs but not a lot of extra. So I don't have anything to invest in a start up situation. But honestly, I'm not an artsy sort. My husband would LOVE to quit his job and work in the arts. But we need his paycheck. I am more of a management person. I love team oriented work and people. I wouldn't be happy working alone, for the most part, unless it was in some sort of research field where I then collaborated with a team.
I don't mean this in a bad way, but what makes you think you're a corporate ladder climbing management type when you've never had a day job and been a SAHM for 15 years? You want to enter that game? Everybody I know is trying desperately to get out.

Typically, corporate jobs go those who have walked the straight path (college degree at age 22, starting at the bottom) and you'll definitely need a degree.

If you mean that you are an aggressive type of personality, then I would try sales. Real estate sounds good.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
My local community college has a "Computer Basics for Job Seekers" class. But it teaches things that I use every day. Here is the description:

Conquer your fear of technology! Learn basic computer skills that can enhance your search for employment. This course will familiarize you with your computer - how it works and your desktop environment. You'll sharpen your keyboarding skills, learn how to create an email address, send and receive attachments, and use email effectively in your job search.

Do you think that would be helpful just for the line on the resume?

I'm not quite ready to dive into a full-blown multi-year certification program. I'm just not that sure what I want to do. I will likely start at a temp agency and hopefully get enough temp positions that I can work in a few industries. I guess that class would help me get the temp positions...
No, I don't really think that class would be helpful. Especially if you are already ok with computer basics. I actually think it may hurt you to take that class because it may signify that you need remedial help when in fact, you are ok with computers.

It doesn't really need to be a multi year program, depending on your interests of course. I mean one can train to be a radiology tech or phlebotomist relatively quickly. But it sounds like you are looking for more of a sit down office gig. That may be a bit hard to come by. A temp agency may be able to help, I don't know.

I think assessing and being honest with your interests, aptitude, and your area's demand for those interests and aptitudes is a good exercise. but going into management is kind of unrealistic. And managing in a workplace is very different than what most who haven't managed in a workplace think it to be. I can very much appreciate what it takes to manage a family. I know it's a huge task. A workplace however is very different and the skills it takes to manage in a workplace aren't as comparable as one might think. Regardless, management isn't really a profession someone steps into right? I mean one has to know how an industry and a particular office works in order to manage it. I personally find managing people to be a big ol' PITA. I used to manage a small team and that was ok, but if you get one person who is a problem employee, it can ruin your work life fast. And getting rid of people isn't so easy. There is also of course fields where you manage people but the pay isn't commensurate with the management work. Being a manager of a medical office may be a good example of that. They aren't paid great but take on a lot of headaches. But that is a way to be a manager that isn't as difficult to get to as managing a team of high level programmers or a team of engineers or financial analysts.

Anyway, I won't get too deep. I think you should start with what is in demand in your area and match some of those with your aptitude and interests. Then work towards that through whatever means are best (education, temp agency, networking, etc.). It sounds like you aren't desperate and have a bit of time so be more like a lion on the prowl rather than someone who grabs at anything that passes your way. Being a lion means positioning yourself through strategic means (research what you want and move towards it through further research that informs you of how to get there). Alternatively, you can try to get an administrative assistant position that may leave you unfulfilled and frustrated...that's if you are able to find such a position.

Edit: I agree with Jobaba. You may be romanticizing the corporate ladder. Even if you are able to land a position in a corporate ladder type place (which I hope you do if that's what you want), you will quickly be frustrated when you find out that your mobility is null because of a lack of degree. For someone that desires to be in management and a position of power and decision making, it'll be pure torture.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:13 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,021 times
Hi pegotty,

I've done some hiring and I think I can help. In real estate, you wouldn't need to be hired, but there are several other challenges to the field. I won't work outside of my expertise there.

If you are trying to be hired for a position, the best advice given your short history is to focus on getting yourself physically close to the hiring manager. I don't mean that in an inappropriate way. Get into the same room so you can have a conversation with them.

Resumes are helpful, but I've scanned enough (and not cared) that for entry level positions a major screening factor that takes less than 5 to 10 minutes is seeing how the applicant responds to some basic questions.

I wanted to know the following things about the applicant:
1. Are they diligent? I don't want lazy employees.
2. Are they competent? The job I was hiring for was one where prior experience was virtually impossible. I need to know they can read the instructions and rapidly understand the job.
3. Will they be a pain in the butt for the manager (I was offered the manager role to begin after the hiring events)

That was the end of the things I really cared about. If someone would be a pain in the butt for the manager, I wouldn't recommend them for hiring regardless of their scores on the other two. I had worked in management for this agency before and had been very grateful that the people screening applicants had built an incredible team for me.

If I liked the person, but they were not competent or did not seem diligent, I couldn't recommend them for hiring. I had to mark some interviews "failed" even when I liked the people as individuals because I did not think they were capable of handling the job. The work in this position was fairly intense, so it was an area of concern.

When you go to meet them, you're job is to appear: diligent, competent, and friendly

I had people come to interviews in very..."attractive" attire. For me, being a professional, it did not help their score. Wearing professional attire did help their score, because it meant the manager wouldn't need to tell them how to dress.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
No, I don't really think that class would be helpful. Especially if you are already ok with computer basics. I actually think it may hurt you to take that class because it may signify that you need remedial help when in fact, you are ok with computers.

It doesn't really need to be a multi year program, depending on your interests of course. I mean one can train to be a radiology tech or phlebotomist relatively quickly. But it sounds like you are looking for more of a sit down office gig. That may be a bit hard to come by. A temp agency may be able to help, I don't know.

I think assessing and being honest with your interests, aptitude, and your area's demand for those interests and aptitudes is a good exercise. but going into management is kind of unrealistic. And managing in a workplace is very different than what most who haven't managed in a workplace think it to be. I can very much appreciate what it takes to manage a family. I know it's a huge task. A workplace however is very different and the skills it takes to manage in a workplace aren't as comparable as one might think. Regardless, management isn't really a profession someone steps into right? I mean one has to know how an industry and a particular office works in order to manage it. I personally find managing people to be a big ol' PITA. I used to manage a small team and that was ok, but if you get one person who is a problem employee, it can ruin your work life fast. And getting rid of people isn't so easy. There is also of course fields where you manage people but the pay isn't commensurate with the management work. Being a manager of a medical office may be a good example of that. They aren't paid great but take on a lot of headaches. But that is a way to be a manager that isn't as difficult to get to as managing a team of high level programmers or a team of engineers or financial analysts.

Anyway, I won't get too deep. I think you should start with what is in demand in your area and match some of those with your aptitude and interests. Then work towards that through whatever means are best (education, temp agency, networking, etc.). It sounds like you aren't desperate and have a bit of time so be more like a lion on the prowl rather than someone who grabs at anything that passes your way. Being a lion means positioning yourself through strategic means (research what you want and move towards it through further research that informs you of how to get there). Alternatively, you can try to get an administrative assistant position that may leave you unfulfilled and frustrated...that's if you are able to find such a position.

Edit: I agree with Jobaba. You may be romanticizing the corporate ladder. Even if you are able to land a position in a corporate ladder type place (which I hope you do if that's what you want), you will quickly be frustrated when you find out that your mobility is null because of a lack of degree. For someone that desires to be in management and a position of power and decision making, it'll be pure torture.
A lot of great thoughts. Thank you. First, I do actually think that I have a good grasp on my personality. Lots that I won't say here but I did have 7 years of employment experience before I stopped working and I definitely had the habit of pushing into new positions. I never spent more than 3 years in one place though, mostly because I was young and idealistic. But I was always easily promoted. People around me generally recognize that I am really good at problem solving.

However, I think you might be right about the lack of degree holding me back. I think I need to look for a smaller, growing company. That idea has actually got me thinking about going back to school, but I don't think that's a possibility until my youngest child is in middle school at least... another 5 years. Maybe I could get some work experience under my belt and then go back to school in a few years...? Thinking out loud a little bit.

My field was music education which I don't think I am interested in anymore. I have led a few choral groups in the past few years, which I do enjoy, I think because of the management aspect and I also really love music. (Talk about people skills...have you ever worked with musicians??) But I honestly think I would get bored because of that prospecting aspect of my personality. I'm always looking for something new to get into and I am motivated by money, which is definitely not there in music. I think sales might be a good fit but it would really have to be a product that I believed in. I can't sell something to someone unless I think it's really great... I am honest to a fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment