Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 2,677 times

Advertisements

I left a previous job because it wasn't the right fit for me. I partnered with a friend to try to start a company. I wasn't sure what title to use so I just went with "Co-founder" on my resume and linkedin. I've been trying to get back into my previous industry and this title seems to have more negative connotations than positive and my resume seems to get automatically thrown out. People have suggested changing my title to fit the industry that I'm targeting. If I went with a new title like "VP of Operations", my network on Linkedin and social media sites will be aware because they know what title I used to use. Will people think I'm falsely representing myself? I have to update my linkedin to fit what I put on my resume because interviewers tend to browse my profile.

Is this acceptable?

Last edited by andrewlig; 02-06-2015 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 04:14 AM

Here's an article where I read about it (especially bullet point #1)

6 Ways To Get A Job After You've Been Your Own Boss - Forbes

However, everyone will be aware that I changed my title

Last edited by andrewlig; 02-06-2015 at 05:02 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
I don't see it as a big deal. I have three years on my resume as a ''sole proprietor'' of my small biz but I have also listed my role as ''owner'' and ''manager''.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I don't see it as a big deal. I have three years on my resume as a ''sole proprietor'' of my small biz but I have also listed my role as ''owner'' and ''manager''.
What if you put just "Manager"?
I want to downplay that it was my own company because I realized hiring managers in my target industry will throw my resume out automatically if I don't

Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlig View Post
What if you put just "Manager"?
I want to downplay that it was my own company because I realized hiring managers in my target industry will throw my resume out automatically if I don't
Not sure why you would want to downplay that you had your own company but, to answer your question, simply designating yourself as "manager" of XYZ company indicates that you were an employee. I've owned and operated two businesses and always designated myself as "owner/operator".

Old 02-06-2015, 05:40 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Would the majority of people on Linkin even notice or care? I think you are putting too much emphasis on something (social media) that does not seem to be important in your situation

Old 02-06-2015, 05:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
I left a previous job because it wasn't the right fit for me. I partnered with a friend to try to start a company. I wasn't sure what title to use so I just went with "Co-founder" on my resume and linkedin. I've been trying to get back into my previous industry and this title seems to have more negative connotations than positive and my resume seems to get automatically thrown out. People have suggested changing my title to fit the industry that I'm targeting. If I went with a new title like "VP of Operations", my network on Linkedin and social media sites will be aware because they know what title I used to use. Will people think I'm falsely representing myself? I have to update my linkedin to fit what I put on my resume because interviewers tend to browse my profile.

Is this acceptable?
If you and your partner came up with the idea to start the company, I don't see why you would change it from co-founder. Would your partner disagree?

To me, just based on what you indicated, the fact that you and a partner came together with the idea of starting this business makes you a co-founder.

Just my .02.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I think it's sad that managers would throw out resumes because you tried to start a company. Without successful new companies, we don't have new jobs and a growing economy. If I was a hiring manager, I'd respect/admire you for it and probably give you an edge over a corporate grunt (alas, I do not have any hiring power before you ask, I'm not even sure what industry you're in to begin with).

Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
How long did the company operate? Being the Founder, Owner, Sole Proprietor or General Manager makes little difference if you only lasted a few years, it's a negative to have tried to operate a business and failed. A potential employer is likely to ask why you are no longer operating the business. For a successful business of 1-2 years that gets sold for a big profit, yes, I would include being the owner but also the reason for leaving as selling the business. If the business was at all related to the work you are applying for, I would include it but avoid mention of being an owner or partner. The title VP of Operations would make more sense.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:

Is this acceptable?
How do you know that the "co-founder" title has a negative connotation and is the reason why your resume is being "thrown out"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment