Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,740,642 times

Advertisements

Right before Christmas, I landed an internship in a different country. I signed the employment contract during the holidays.

I tried looking for a place to live for a long time but the landlords wouldn't reply, or would ask me to meet up with them first. I tried tons of different websites. I looked at hostels but some amounted a week of stay to 1000$ ..., my couchsurfing requests got declined ... It's been a real hassle. It's a small town with very few public transport connections.

I was very much stuck and the company didn't provide any assistance except directing me to a few websites which I already checked. As the notice period was about to start (2 weeks) and I hadn't found a place to live yet, I sent a resignation email to the HR associate telling him about my moving problems. He hasn't replied. I followed with a letter. This was yesterday (Friday).

Today, I unexpectedly got an email from someone willing to give me a place to stay for 10 days.[ B]I therefore wish to retract my resignation[/b]. The company hasn't received my letter yet and they haven't replied to my email.

Is it too late? How should I proceed?

I am aware this makes me look flaky and unreliable, but those accomodation issues were real. I am also very much conscious of the fact that this could later cause me problems in the work environment.

*The HR had contacted certain future employees on Monday to ask about the progress of the accomodation search but they couldn't provide any assistance.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 02-07-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Why would you retract the resignation when you have a place for 10 days only? What will you do after that? Unless you have a place to stay for the entire duration of the internship you should not retract the resignation.

*This is my opinion only and may or may not pertain to you and the decision you make in regards to this situation*

Old 02-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why would you retract the resignation when you have a place for 10 days only? What will you do after that? Unless you have a place to stay for the entire duration of the internship you should not retract the resignation.

*This is my opinion only and may or may not pertain to you and the decision you make in regards to this situation*

Well, once I get there, I will be able to visit rooms and rent one after a week or so.

However, the landlords won't let me rent without meeting up with me first.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 02-07-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
CSD makes a good point... 10 days is not very long. You'd have to be very motivated and perhaps a bit lucky to make sure you can get housing for the long term. Also, are you sure the individual offering you housing for 10 days isn't a serial killer?

It seems odd that neither the company, nor the school that arranged the internship, would have provided you with more assistance to secure safe housing.

At this point if you still want the position, I suggest picking up the phone ASAP and explaining the situation. You've got nothing to lose.

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Is it too late? How should I proceed?

I am aware this makes me look flaky and unreliable, but those accomodation issues were real. I am also very much conscious of the fact that this could later cause me problems in the work environment.

*The HR had contacted certain future employees on Monday to ask about the progress of the accomodation search but they couldn't provide any assistance.
In this case you look flaky and unreliable because you are flaky and unreliable.
I'd just give up on this, it sounds ridiculous.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
CSD makes a good point... 10 days is not very long. You'd have to be very motivated and perhaps a bit lucky to make sure you can get housing for the long term. Also, are you sure the individual offering you housing for 10 days isn't a serial killer?

It seems odd that neither the company, nor the school that arranged the internship, would have provided you with more assistance to secure safe housing.

At this point if you still want the position, I suggest picking up the phone ASAP and explaining the situation. You've got nothing to lose.

Good luck!
I'll call them first thing on Monday.

The company just sent me links to websites such as AirBnB and Bookings which I believe is slightly useless.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
In this case you look flaky and unreliable because you are flaky and unreliable.
I'd just give up on this, it sounds ridiculous.
This wasn't constructive in any way. I'm already aware of this.

Not finding safe housing is a valid reason. I didn't resign because I had a sudden change of heart. This is what I would call "extremely" flaky.

I had to resign because I had no other choice. I couldn't afford to let the notice period pass while waiting for a miracle to happen.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Having Landlords require that you meet in person first is always wise. NEVER, AND I mean NEVER, believe the thing until it is "boots on the ground, seen in person" first. NEVER agree to pay anything up front until it is "boots on the ground, seen in person" and even then, ask a lot of questions of the landlord to be sure they have the proper ability to rent/sublease to you.

Second, If you couldn't afford to go there in advance to scope out housing; and the company offered no help in finding housing; and the company is not helping compensate your housing; and you cannot afford a hotel or the like for a week or two until you find housing; you probably should not have "taken the position".

I say "taken" as I am not clear form your list whether you have indeed, or have not, "taken the position"? I am confused reading it and I am here, on your "SIDE".

Housing is always a problem, and if a company is not willing to provide valid links to proper housing, I would not take the position in another town/city within my state, let alone another country.

Just my two cents worth.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Having Landlords require that you meet in person first is always wise. NEVER, AND I mean NEVER, believe the thing until it is "boots on the ground, seen in person" first. NEVER agree to pay anything up front until it is "boots on the ground, seen in person" and even then, ask a lot of questions of the landlord to be sure they have the proper ability to rent/sublease to you.

Second, If you couldn't afford to go there in advance to scope out housing; and the company offered no help in finding housing; and the company is not helping compensate your housing; and you cannot afford a hotel or the like for a week or two until you find housing; you probably should not have "taken the position".

I say "taken" as I am not clear form your list whether you have indeed, or have not, "taken the position"? I am confused reading it and I am here, on your "SIDE".

Housing is always a problem, and if a company is not willing to provide valid links to proper housing, I would not take the position in another town/city within my state, let alone another country.

Just my two cents worth.
So in your opinion, I shouldn't ask for a withdrawal?

I do have the means now, except the resignation has already been sent.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
So in your opinion, I shouldn't ask for a withdrawal?

I do have the means now, except the resignation has already been sent.
Which country is it? Not all countries are like the US, where you can find a place in one or two days. There are a lot of paperwork and often, it takes longer. 10 days may never be enough then. You have to take that into account before moving forward on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment