Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixfed View Post
No degree is a golden ticket to a good job... Having a marketable major certainly helps; however, it is only a fraction of your resume that gets you an interview... Once you have the interview, its totally on the individual.

Yes, many people with marketable degrees are out of work. Also, many people are unable or unwilling to move for a job, lack initiative, have a crappy resume, lack people and interviewing skills, or simply are not solid performers.

On an level playing field, those with degrees that employers specifically WANT have better odds getting the interview. Simply 'having' a degree is typically a requirement for HR. Once you pass the HR barriers and get to the hiring manager, that's where they will often care WHAT your degree is in. Especially if you have no experience to show.
a lot of people these days seem to have poor people skills. especially people who utilize internet forums. that just makes sense, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,201 times
Default Never worked Retail

I have never worked retail in my life and now I am 66 years old. I need supplemental income right now so I got into a program called AARP. This is a program for senior citizens in which this organizations will put us in companies to earn minimum wage while we look for a job. They will also send us on job interviews to assist us in obtaining a job. Well they sent me to a retail store that sells lingerie and bras. It was the week before Thanksgiving. When those people told me I would have to work the Thanksgiving week plus weekends plus two weeks of Christmas I was completely shocked. I never heard of such a thing. My daughter who is 32 told me that's the way it is. She has worked retail before. I am used to working for the state government and we worked Mon-Fri 8:00 to 4:30 weekends and holidays off. I had a conversation with my son's girlfriend once and she actually told me everyone has to work like that she is another retail worker. She did not believe me when I told her everyone doesn't work like that. I feel so sorry for retail workers. That is not a life. On top of that the people don't have the same days off. That is slavery! I am thankful to GOD that I never worked retail. I don't see how people can have any kind of life. They should be paid at least $15.00 to start and up to $20.00 with experience. Those retail businesses are just using people that is pure unadulterated abuse. Lady who said she did not believe that there are people who never worked retail Well there are more like me who answered you on this thread. I was not born rich either. I just worked everyday to take care of my children.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM

154 posts, read 179,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestra1948 View Post
Those retail businesses are just using people that is pure unadulterated abuse.
I disagree. For them to be "using" people, these people would have to be forced to be working there. If it was such a horrible job, they wouldn't be able to keep positions filled. Clearly the jobs aren't that bad if people are willing to work them for $X amount of money.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:42 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,824 times
I worked in government too, but 12 hours 24/7/365 including Christmas, no exceptions. Sucks, but that is emergency services. So, if you work retail, can you really expect to not work busy shopping hours? Is it a surprise or is it common knowledge? Do you apply to a breakfast joint and complain about 6am?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:48 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
There are plenty of low-end jobs other than retail, and they employ many people.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:16 PM

403 posts, read 557,234 times
I've worked in retail stores, but don't count my experience as retail. I would always be on the 3rd shift night crew and wouldn't have to deal with customers. However, even though I've never done that, I am still respectful to people in retail positions.

You don't have to work in those positions to know how to treat people. Anybody that claims otherwise is just foolish in that regard and just looking for a reason to justify their own attitude.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:23 PM

403 posts, read 557,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
I disagree. For them to be "using" people, these people would have to be forced to be working there. If it was such a horrible job, they wouldn't be able to keep positions filled. Clearly the jobs aren't that bad if people are willing to work them for $X amount of money.
In a way, people are forced to work in those places. Those jobs are fairly easy to get, they're low paying, and require a low skill level. So it's easy to see how those companies keep the positions filled just because they are easy to get. Once hired, most employees don't want to lose their job so they do put up with more crap than they should.

Also, plenty of high paid employees feel abused by their employers also, but they don't want to risk losing their high paying jobs so they put up with it.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
In a way, people are forced to work in those places. Those jobs are fairly easy to get, they're low paying, and require a low skill level. So it's easy to see how those companies keep the positions filled just because they are easy to get. Once hired, most employees don't want to lose their job so they do put up with more crap than they should.

Also, plenty of high paid employees feel abused by their employers also, but they don't want to risk losing their high paying jobs so they put up with it.
So your argument is that because just about anyone without any skills at all can do a job... employers need to close down shop on holidays(which are typically big retail days) for fear of making life harder for the employee that have, meanwhile 10 other people would gladly work the day just for the chance to have a job?

Reality is if you're working a job that can be done by anyone and people are fighting for, you have no leverage.

Last edited by Jeo123; 02-12-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
Well, in general people who had to work for what they had have more of my respect than people who had parents paying for college and easy job handed to them.
So you refuse to respect someone based on something they have no control over? That's very mature.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,787 times
Folks, save your breath... The OP hasn't checked back in for 3 days. Either she was a troll, or she was overwhelmed with the support we've given her and needs some time to recuperate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment