Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 PM

847 posts, read 1,344,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
No. The company pays my salary. End of story. The customers buy stuff that they want to buy. Literally speaking, the company I work for pays me. That's how it works for me. Customers of the company I work for do not pay me.

"Absolutely hate" is putting it strongly. There are even some customers I really enjoy being around. But mostly I don't like these people because the way they act is so distasteful you can't help but not like them. And that has nothing to do with me.

I agree I need a different job. But they aren't exactly plentiful. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing this.

So where does the money come from that the company uses to pay your salary?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:15 PM

491 posts, read 469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
So where does the money come from that the company uses to pay your salary?
Obviously the company makes money from customers. But if we're talking about who ACTUALLY pays my salary (which I assumed because "pays salary" were the words used), it is the company for which I work.

Customers give the company money, but they do not pay my salary. To say so is almost to suggest they were doing something for my benefit rather than their own.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,720,139 times
Quote:
And this whole "the customers pay your salary" crap is old and tired.

No. Customers come into the store and buy things THEY need. They aren't giving the store money for my benefit. They're getting stuff for themselves, the store makes money, and the store pays us.

Customers don't do much for me, with a few exceptions (both of which I could have gotten in trouble for, I had customers buy me candy and drinks).

I think people who criticize me for how I feel have never worked in retail for any real length of time and thus have no idea what it's like.
Well, if the customers don't come in and buy from the store you are working at, your store will close due to lack of profit, and you will lose your job. Just ask Radio Shack employees.

There was a restaurant that we loved to go years ago. We probably went once a month, and always had great food, great service. Went one time, and the server was not on his game...very inattentive, forgot things, etc. Initially, we chalked it up to a poor night. Went back again, and we were seated right away, but no server came over for well over 20 minutes. We got up to leave, and the hostess apologized and begged us to wait and said she'd sent a server right over. OK. After ANOTHER lengthy wait and still no one, we left. A server chased after us with another customer's food in hand. Several weeks later, they closed.

Do you think that hostess, the cooks, and the servers still had their jobs once the restaurant closed?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:
Obviously the company makes money from customers. But if we're talking about who ACTUALLY pays my salary (which I assumed because "pays salary" were the words used), it is the company for which I work.

Customers give the company money, but they do not pay my salary. To say so is almost to suggest they were doing something for my benefit rather than their own.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 883,959 times
Quote:
Thank you, but I prefer literal definitions and direct associations.

For myself, I have never thought I was "paying someone's salary" when I went into various stores and shopped. The idea is beyond absurd to me. I thought I was going in and buying stuff I wanted...how silly of me.
Sorry, the real world is a lot more complicated than that. If you can't grasp those complexities, then it will be difficult for you to make it out of retail. I am not being sarcastic. If you insist on having a manichean and simplistic view of the world, most people in higher positions will be quick to dismiss you.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:18 PM

OP, you need a new job. Undoubtedly, your attitude IS seeping through at work, and soon (if not already) customers will be complaining to your manager about your attitude.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 PM

847 posts, read 1,344,432 times
Quote:

You are taking the statement too literally. Of course customers do not write the checks to pay your salary, but how long do you think you would stay in your current job if customers stop coming through the doors?

The company is only able to pay your salary because of customers, hence, due to customers and for no other reason, your salary is paid.

Does that make it easier for you to sallow if it's stated like that?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM

491 posts, read 469,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
OP, you need a new job. Undoubtedly, your attitude IS seeping through at work, and soon (if not already) customers will be complaining to your manager about your attitude.
Oh, they do. Often. But thankfully all the managers write it off as bs. And they've noticed that I'm only rude to rude customers--appropriately. Because these complainers are also rude to them!

The day a customer comes and politely and calmly complains about me to my managers? lol! That'll be the day!

Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
Sorry, the real world is a lot more complicated than that. If you can't grasp those complexities, then it will be difficult for you to make it out of retail. I am not being sarcastic. If you insist on having a manichean and simplistic view of the world, most people in higher positions will be quick to dismiss you.
^^^this.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:
Thank you, but I prefer literal definitions and direct associations.

For myself, I have never thought I was "paying someone's salary" when I went into various stores and shopped. The idea is beyond absurd to me. I thought I was going in and buying stuff I wanted...how silly of me.
If you knew the cashiers there "absolutely hated" you, would you continue to shop there?

Guess what ... When you shop, you're paying the employees plus a whole lot more. Your sales tax pays for stuff like schools and other government-managed stuff you take for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment