Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
--A B.A. in Comparative Literature - Pretty hard degree to work with. Look at the strengths of having this degree. Do research. Does it help you with communication? Dealing with different types of people? Highlight that while searching.
--7 years retail experience - Helps with sales jobs and again, communicative prospects.
--I can type pretty fast - Irrelevant. No one cares about this unless you are directly asked.
--I can use a computer - No one cares about this.
--I've used MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, all that good stuff (mostly for school) - Good. But this is a given if you've gone to college. As are the other "irrelevant" and items I put in red.

As someone else said, GPA is irrelevant. I graduated a year ago (about) and it's only mattered once or twice, but I've lied about my GPA and no one cares. Really, unless you have a 4.0 and went to an ivy league school, that's the only time you'll see interviewers gagging over it and quietly licking their lips. No one really cares.
Those skills are actually very relevant and should be put on a resume. The people might assume you have these skills, but the software that scans for those key words will throw your application in the black hole if they aren't listed. For the jobs she is seeking, I think they should be included.

You can even google "typing speed test" and do that a few times then calculate your average and put that down in parenthesis next to your typing ability and computer skills. I type near 80 wpm, which was shocking. I didn't know I was that far above the average.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:14 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
So I'm sick of complaining about my current situation (bad). I want to get advice and wisdom from the wise people here about how I could go about getting something better. I'd also like advice on how to do my resume with nothing but retail and food service jobs. I wonder if there's any way to spin it so it looks better than it actually is.

I have:
--A B.A. in Comparative Literature
--7 years retail experience
--I can type pretty fast
--I'm a good speller
--I can use a computer
--I've used MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, all that good stuff (mostly for school)
Here's how I would spin it: focus on the -skills- your college classes actually taught you

Skills/Experience:

- 7 years in customer service and retail sales
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications
- Impeccable written communication ability with an eye for details
- etc
- etc

Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Those skills are actually very relevant and should be put on a resume. The people might assume you have these skills, but the software that scans for those key words will throw your application in the black hole if they aren't listed. For the jobs she is seeking, I think they should be included.

You can even google "typing speed test" and do that a few times then calculate your average and put that down in parenthesis next to your typing ability and computer skills. I type near 80 wpm, which was shocking. I didn't know I was that far above the average.
Oh boy.

Certain things, especially for certain positions, are givens. She can keep them in her resume and let me know how it goes. If she can get to the interview stage, that is.

Also, yes, the way they are worded is off as someone above just mentioned. No one cares about how fast you can type - unless it's asked for. If it is, edit your resume. They usually ask in an interview if they're that concerned, but then again, it seems like she's not even getting that far. I've gotten an intense amount of admin interviews that I've all turned down as it was not what I was looking for.

So eh. If she knows better than me, go for it. Not my loss.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
what I would do is try to find a job as an office manager at a small digital agency or startup company. these jobs are often done by people with your background. The person who did this at a company I worked for went on to have a much larger operations role, picking out new office spaces, having it remodeled, etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Your skills sound like secretary skills, is that all your degree taught you? How to spell and type fast, put on a fake smile?

You could try something more extreme, move oversea and teach english. It is pretty much a dead end job but it pays okay and buys enough time for you to figure out what you want to do. Job market might be better when you return too.
Oh man, I'm not the OP but I'd love to do something like that!!! OP could probably pick up some foreign language skills this way also and not spend a fortune for it!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,864 times
masmart - join the military, preferably Air Force or Navy. Study for the placement exam - a high score broadens your placement options. You want to exit with better skills than you came in with. Good luck and best wishes.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
masmart - join the military, preferably Air Force or Navy. Study for the placement exam - a high score broadens your placement options. You want to exit with better skills than you came in with. Good luck and best wishes.
this is always good advice for someone with no other decent option. It'll make you an instant hire once you get out if you choose a good MOS too. Only bad thing now is they really don't need more people and are in the process of downsizing (doesn't mean they won't hire you), but lofty enlistment bonuses are pretty much gone until a new war begins

Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Look for opportunities at your current employer, beyond your present role.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
The typing is relevant because I am hoping for some type of receptionist/office type job, which would be a step above what I'm doing now.
You need to work on your attitude and communication skills first. Once you dump that bitter, jealous, 'woe is me', attitude your life will improve and so will your chances of getting a better job. The OP isn't capable of being a manager, a leader, a boss, a front end person, a 'point' person, or anything else that puts her in direct line with a customer, staff, or people in general.

Based on this thread and the other you have running, you will blow any interview you have for an office/receptionist position. They want people who are generally up beat, who are easy to smile (without being prompted to by their boss or customers), who get along well with others, and generally don't whine, *****, complain about how ****ty their life is.

Just an FYI: If you think you'll be treated better as a receptionist, you're in for a rude awakening. You will expected to be nice to everyone that stands in front of your desk and if you're not.....you will be let go...in a heartbeat. Like I said before, I recently terminated someone because they couldn't muster up enough pleasantness for our customers...and in the real world (beyond big box retail and grocery stores) that's not acceptable. If you're my employee, you represent ME and I expect you to be pleasant and polite to everyone that walks thru the door. Even the rich ***** who looks down her nose at you.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 02-10-2015 at 04:18 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to work on your attitude and communication skills first. Once you dump that bitter, jealous, 'woe is me', attitude your life will improve and so will your chances of getting a better job. The OP isn't capable of being a manager, a leader, a boss, a front end person, a 'point' person, or anything else that puts her in direct line with a customer, staff, or people in general.

Based on this thread and the other you have running, you will blow any interview you have for an office/receptionist position. They want people who are generally up beat, who are easy to smile (without being prompted to by their boss or customers), who get along well with others, and generally don't whine, *****, complain about how ****ty their life is.

Just an FYI: If you think you'll be treated better as a receptionist, you're in for a rude awakening.
You will expected to be nice to everyone that stands in front of your desk and if you're not.....you will be let go...in a heartbeat. Like I said before, I recently terminated someone because they couldn't muster up enough pleasantness for our customers...and in the real world (beyond big box retail and grocery stores) that's not acceptable. If you're my employee, you represent ME and I expect you to be pleasant and polite to everyone that walks thru the door. Even the rich ***** who looks down her nose at you.
Amen!!! I've worked in reception. You HAVE to be upbeat, cheerful and never miss a beat with those smiles or how you conduct yourself. You are given every task under the sun to do, even those that fall way out of your pay rate and your job description - from emptying trash, to tidying up conference rooms, to sending out 2000 letters in a day, to lifting heavy boxes or maybe even fixing faxing machines for the 5000th time... all while doing your normal tasks. You are the face of the company and its do-it-all person... and you still make nothing. I mean, really, you said it best in your post.

Who knows if the OP will listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment