Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see a couple of 50 something folks in IT still cranking. I think IT today doesn't fit older people even management. I have not met any 50+ folk that gets today's technology and trends. It's not that hard but it's not simple either.
Except that every big company that's not a startup in the last 10 years has LEGACY systems that must be fed and maintained....that's the kind of thing that someone just out of school will not have experience with but someone who is 40+ will know. Good luck OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:17 PM

25 posts, read 22,926 times
Hmm, actually this thread got me thinking - how would those of us that "could be age discriminated against" hide our age/experience on our resumes? Limit one's work experience to the last 10 years and not mention what year(s) we graduated?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whew139 View Post
Hmm, actually this thread got me thinking - how would those of us that "could be age discriminated against" hide our age/experience on our resumes? Limit one's work experience to the last 10 years and not mention what year(s) we graduated?
Yes to both. But honestly, you'll find a lot of people in their 50's here (me included) who have gotten new jobs in our 50's, so this age discrimination thing may be in certain fields or parts of the country, or even in people's imaginations, but I haven't seen it and don't know anyone who has.

There was discrimination several years ago, but that's been reversed as far as I've seen.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,388,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yes to both. But honestly, you'll find a lot of people in their 50's here (me included) who have gotten new jobs in our 50's, so this age discrimination thing may be in certain fields or parts of the country, or even in people's imaginations, but I haven't seen it and don't know anyone who has.

There was discrimination several years ago, but that's been reversed as far as I've seen.
Age discrimination is alive and well, and it starts in your 40's. It's happened to me and there really is nothing you can do about it.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Age discrimination is alive and well, and it starts in your 40's. It's happened to me and there really is nothing you can do about it.
Like I said, I haven't seen it for several years. I've gotten two new jobs while in my 50's and so have a lot of my friends and several people here have posted they have, too.

I hate to repeat myself but it could be your industry or your part of the country.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 PM

25 posts, read 22,926 times
Ok, good observations from both of you. Thanks.

For me, personally, the NoVA IT market seems to be pretty hot, so I feel like at worst, I could grab a contract job w/o much difficulty. But then again, until I'm actually trying, it's a moot point.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:18 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times
I used to work in silicon valley and got about 50 recruiter emails a day until around age 35. Then it gradually dwindled down to zero. It's basically the employment version of Logan's Run. A lot of slightly older guys I worked with seem to have disappeared. I know three guys who just moved to Vietnam in their early 40s to do ... nothing. I don't think they are going to be coming back.

In some ways it makes sense to me... when I started, it seemed like CS programs were not teaching what was used in industry. However, now they are. So younger guys graduate actually knowing how to do stuff useful on the job. The tech stacks are almost all the same so there's no competitive advantage to 'years of experience.' An older iPhone programmer has no advantage over a younger iPhone programmer.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Except that every big company that's not a startup in the last 10 years has LEGACY systems that must be fed and maintained....that's the kind of thing that someone just out of school will not have experience with but someone who is 40+ will know. Good luck OP!
What I've been seeing is that those 45-55 yr olds are doing architect level work and have the 25-35 yr olds carry out the heavy lifting. You can't find people out of school that has enough experience, temperament, and knowledge to perform very high level work. It is almost like brain surgery for some of the work that I've seen and just like them you have to be atleast 45yrs old to be an accomplished IT pro at the architect level.

Whethere it'll be architect level DBA, Security, Network designs, I haven't seen any 25-35 doing that advance level.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:11 AM

42 posts, read 59,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I used to work in silicon valley and got about 50 recruiter emails a day until around age 35. Then it gradually dwindled down to zero. It's basically the employment version of Logan's Run. A lot of slightly older guys I worked with seem to have disappeared. I know three guys who just moved to Vietnam in their early 40s to do ... nothing. I don't think they are going to be coming back.

In some ways it makes sense to me... when I started, it seemed like CS programs were not teaching what was used in industry. However, now they are. So younger guys graduate actually knowing how to do stuff useful on the job. The tech stacks are almost all the same so there's no competitive advantage to 'years of experience.' An older iPhone programmer has no advantage over a younger iPhone programmer.
These guys in their early 40's going to Vietnam...if they are doing nothing then how are they supporting themselves to live over there?

Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 AM

42 posts, read 59,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Like I said, I haven't seen it for several years. I've gotten two new jobs while in my 50's and so have a lot of my friends and several people here have posted they have, too.

I hate to repeat myself but it could be your industry or your part of the country.
You might want to try reading some of the many stories on this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Over-...22824164434815
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment