Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you think the recruiter is afraid you'll try to sidestep him and try to work directly with the company?

I don't have a lot of experience working with them, so I'm just guessing here.
Yes, this is why they can't tell you the name of the company. Usually they only send you the details when you're going to go on the interview, so you can research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 AM

8,078 posts, read 10,065,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
That's the way I thought it worked too but he submitted my resume today, so why at that point wouldn't he tell me the name of the company? Even if I tried to go and apply directly to the company they would already have my resume. Or maybe I'd call the company ask for the guy I'd be potentially replacing and tell him you're about to get fired you should leave.

That's some REALLY unprofessional behavior right there. Suppose it is a company where your former boss now works, and he sees your resume come floating through (without your permission) , and he mentions it to one of his colleagues at your current employer? I would go bat $hit on this recruiter over that faux pas alone!

It sounds like you would have to make a physical move to accept this position (?). That is serious upheaval, and you would need to know a LOT before you even agreed to have a conversation.

It's nice that this recruiter contacts you, and wants to hang you out there, but doesn't trust YOU to keep things confidential. Huge red flag--especially given that the vast majority of these head hunters are just dirt bags looking to write a ticket. They don't give a damn about you, your confidentiality, or your career.

I ALWAYS want to know details ...a lot of them,...before I agree to have a conversation or have my credentials submitted to a supposed employer. Who, what, when, where. Details...including the name of the company, the name of the boss, etc. I also want to know that the third part recruiter is on retention for this specific job--not job lobbing your name in because he "thinks" there might be an opening.

What to do? First, does the recruiter work for a reputable firm? Second, tell him you might be interested in the conversation, BUT you need to know a LOT of specific details. None of this mystery stuff. Everything in this process has to begin with trust. If you are good enough to be considered for the job, you are good enough to trust with the details. Lastly, you are all ears, but keep your mouth shut. No details forthcoming? Call me when you have something concrete to discuss.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:52 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,245,330 times
Are you sure it's a real recruiter? How do you know it's not some kind of criminal who has some sinister reason to want to meet you in person?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:01 AM

240 posts, read 251,997 times
I'd run! Too many red flags.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,159,429 times
i think third party recruiters in general should be approached with caution

Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM

405 posts, read 572,583 times
It's a real recruiting firm, I looked him up on LinkedIN and googled the firm.

Ted Bear- I wouldn't have to move for this position, he told me it is 10 miles from where I live since he couldn't even give me the city. I've had 2 instances where they couldn't tell me anything and I said well then I'm not interested and leave it at that. But in this instance I'm thinking the company told him to keep things under wraps and has something to do with the guy working there and being discretely replaced.

I'm going to be in the same city as his office tomorrow other wise I'd blow it off, so I'm going to break my rule and meet with him and find out information, if he still can't tell me after we meet I'll tell him I'm no longer interested.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,224,353 times
If you have the availability, what is the hurt in interviewing?
After all, it is just an interview.
At the interview, interview them and find out if the position interests you.

An interview is not about "I NEED A JOB PLEASE HIRE ME" as most people think.
It is a time to feel EACH OTHER out and you have full rights to ask them questions.
At the end of the interview, you have full rights to say, "sorry but I am not interested."

Old 02-12-2015, 12:45 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,586,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
It's a real recruiting firm, I looked him up on LinkedIN and googled the firm.

Ted Bear- I wouldn't have to move for this position, he told me it is 10 miles from where I live since he couldn't even give me the city. I've had 2 instances where they couldn't tell me anything and I said well then I'm not interested and leave it at that. But in this instance I'm thinking the company told him to keep things under wraps and has something to do with the guy working there and being discretely replaced.

I'm going to be in the same city as his office tomorrow other wise I'd blow it off, so I'm going to break my rule and meet with him and find out information, if he still can't tell me after we meet I'll tell him I'm no longer interested.
Good luck! They're probably paranoid because the guy is still working there.

Will be interested to read what you find out after your meeting tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:28 PM

6,766 posts, read 5,478,214 times
The mere fact he won't give you any details about the compnay is a huge red flag!

I'd stay away, as it sounds like it is a tough job, and for being so secretive...what's he going to do, blidfold you and take you to the interview???

Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM

405 posts, read 572,583 times
Thought I'd update this thread, I met with the recuiter and as I expected, it was a waste of time. He could have asked me all the questions over the phone. I told him I was interviewing with 5 companies and what they were so as not to submit me, i.e looking for leads. I didn't care so I gave him the company names. I don't know if the meeting will actually be useful as I ended up accepting another job but who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment