Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 AM

17 posts, read 22,251 times

Advertisements

I babysit a 9 yr old boy 3 afternoons a week. As a rule, the family is nice and his parents are polite, friendly and treat me fairly. But lately some uncomfortable situations have arisen with regards to food.

1. I usually prepare his dinner from scratch (not just stovetop mac and cheese or heating up frozen foods) and usually leave the leftovers for his parents (I make them each a plate). Often, there isn't enough left for me or a only a small portion. If I do eat and there isn't enough left for everyone they seem annoyed. I feel bad, but in general, isn't it expected that the babysitter will eat with children? I do not eat touch anything in the pantry/fridge otherwise.

2. Last night the boy's mother asked me to set up dinner for them even though I'll only be babysitting for about 2.5 hours and won't be eating with them. I agreed but I think in the future I'd rather not do that as I think that is taking advantage of my good nature. How do I refuse next time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Are you a part-time nanny making a minimum wage or a teenager making spare cash?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsklmn View Post
I babysit a 9 yr old boy 3 afternoons a week. As a rule, the family is nice and his parents are polite, friendly and treat me fairly. But lately some uncomfortable situations have arisen with regards to food.

1. I usually prepare his dinner from scratch (not just stovetop mac and cheese or heating up frozen foods) and usually leave the leftovers for his parents (I make them each a plate). Often, there isn't enough left for me or a only a small portion. If I do eat and there isn't enough left for everyone they seem annoyed. I feel bad, but in general, isn't it expected that the babysitter will eat with children? I do not eat touch anything in the pantry/fridge otherwise.

2. Last night the boy's mother asked me to set up dinner for them even though I'll only be babysitting for about 2.5 hours and won't be eating with them. I agreed but I think in the future I'd rather not do that as I think that is taking advantage of my good nature. How do I refuse next time?
It all depends on your terms of employment. What specifically did they say about you and their dinner? It is NOT always expected that the babysitter will eat with the kids.

1) Bring your own food or eat after you leave. If they have not indicated that YOU should eat, then they expect you not to eat. They apparently expect that food to be for them. Part of the reason they hired you, apparently, is to assist with those difficult after-school and work hours. Since you can tell they are annoyed when you eat, stop eating their food.

2) I don't think she is taking advantage of your good nature? Your employer asked you to do something, so I would do it. In the future, I would do it since you do it most nights anyway.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 AM

I work ~10 hours per week and my main responsibilities are to pick him up and take him home 3 afternoons/week and make sure he has snack, does hw, and feed HIM dinner (not his parents). I'm 25 years old and this is one of the 3 part time jobs that I do while saving money for grad school.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I work ~10 hours per week and my main responsibilities are to pick him up and take him home 3 afternoons/week and make sure he has snack, does hw, and feed HIM dinner (not his parents). I'm 25 years old and this is one of the 3 part time jobs that I do while saving money for grad school.
Unless they specifically say, "You are welcome to eat also," I would not eat.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I would stop eating their food but I would stop making it for the parents as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
I would never expect a babysitter to set up dinner for me & my husband. And yes, by all means, I would want you to feel comfortable and eat whatever you want in the house! I might be paying you, but you are taking care of my kid(s) and yes, you should eat with them!

I think they are taking advantage of you. I'd nip that in the bud quickly.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:43 AM

When I was hired, it was made clear that I would make dinner for my charge, but not the parents. I was also told to help myself to anything, however, as I mentioned earlier, I only eat whatever I make (and as per my own rule I do not eat any other things in the house). I was NOT told to leave leftovers. I do that as a courtesy! In fact I make plates for the parents and cover them with foil. I could just dump the leftovers in a container or leave the food in pots but I clean the pots and set up food for them.

The previous babysitter told me that she would occasionally leave food for the father (but not always). The parents are divorced but 95% of the time the babysitting happens at dad's house. But the mother often works from the fathers house (strangely enough) and sometimes seems upset if there isn't food for her. I'm not sure what their boundaries are as a divorced couple and that also makes this situation difficult.

I also think that to ask for me to cook for what is basically a pickup/dropoff (2 hrs of care) is unreasonable because already I go above and beyond my responsibilities. I am there to watch him, not cook.

I should also mention that the mother has forgotten to pay me for her day this week and I won't see her until next Wednesday. They depend on me to be there for their soon and I depend on them to get paid for my time, on time!

Old 02-12-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would never expect a babysitter to set up dinner for me & my husband. And yes, by all means, I would want you to feel comfortable and eat whatever you want in the house! I might be paying you, but you are taking care of my kid(s) and yes, you should eat with them!

I think they are taking advantage of you. I'd nip that in the bud quickly.

How should I tactfully say no to this? Or just gradually stop being so nice? lol.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
When I was hired, it was made clear that I would make dinner for my charge, but not the parents. I was also told to help myself to anything, however, as I mentioned earlier, I only eat whatever I make (and as per my own rule I do not eat any other things in the house). I was NOT told to leave leftovers. I do that as a courtesy! In fact I make plates for the parents and cover them with foil. I could just dump the leftovers in a container or leave the food in pots but I clean the pots and set up food for them.

The previous babysitter told me that she would occasionally leave food for the father (but not always). The parents are divorced but 95% of the time the babysitting happens at dad's house. But the mother often works from the fathers house (strangely enough) and sometimes seems upset if there isn't food for her. I'm not sure what their boundaries are as a divorced couple and that also makes this situation difficult.

I also think that to ask for me to cook for what is basically a pickup/dropoff (2 hrs of care) is unreasonable because already I go above and beyond my responsibilities. I am there to watch him, not cook.

I should also mention that the mother has forgotten to pay me for her day this week and I won't see her until next Wednesday. They depend on me to be there for their soon and I depend on them to get paid for my time, on time!
All of this would have been helpful in the OP.

Just tell them what you told us and see how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment