Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:30 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times

Advertisements

The first job I ever had pretty much everyone was friends with someone else or related. You pretty much had to keep quiet to a point because otherwise you knew an argument could easily breakout. Picture the Balkans.

However, at the same point the company was later sold to another and frankly although the original owners were nice and treated people pretty good they did not see things going forward with technologies. As a result it was spun off as another and gradually dismantled.

Civil wars and internal politics serve no purpose. More then a decade ago the Sierra club was in a mini civil war as some started to blame pollution on immigration. This was pretty much mission drift and it took some time to steer it back. Then again Vivendi 100 years ago was a French water company but in the 1980's they decided to get into everything. It's hardly about water now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,579,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Would you agree with those sentiments?

The old saying, the "cream rises to the top" should be replaced "the snakes in suits rise to the top".

Its a great breeding ground for Sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies, but can you be a good person and rise the ranks in corporate america?

It seems the passive, nice, good hearted people are always the ones getting left behind
Of course they don't that's where GREED LIVES! Don't like it? Change it! "Complaining" never changed anything!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:36 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,385,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What it simply comes down to is if you have rare skills that are highly valued (which includes politics sadly) your experience in corporate America may be somewhat good. If you don't then bend over.
I think it depends a LOT on the corporate culture of that particular corporation. I've worked for great companies and great managers. And I've worked for companies where every day feels like boot camp and 'thank you sir may I please have another'.

Same industry. Different companies.

Red flags are usually apparent from the interview process.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 PM

685 posts, read 715,694 times
I started my career with lets say "interesting" companies in the 70s, when people and companies were loyal to each other. It didn't last long. I had two jobs that were offered to me within 24 hours. But that's what it was like back then. I chose the job with the better company. We had a song. We had strict dress codes. We got awards and bonuses.

But a couple years later, my company changed. It was back-biting. I accidentally opened a paycheck that belonged to a male with a lot less experience (and intelligence - it's not tooting my horn, it's a fact) and he made a lot more than I (female) did. My loyalty began to change with that obvious discrimination. The company stopped our kick-off, annual meetings. The company froze wages. I stopped caring about them but hung on for about 13 more years.

The Good Old Boy system is one mass of discrimination and there is something wrong with it. I saw men being hired who were lying on their resume and got slots that could've gone to more qualified workers. Instead, all it took was a connection.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ding, ding, ding - finally figured it out, kids!

Laughable. And then they claim the psychopaths will always only give them raises of 1 - 5%.

NO, that's what poor performers are given. If that's your history, better look in the mirror.
Equally laughable statement coming from those paragons of virtue known as HR flaks..

Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 AM

897 posts, read 1,174,743 times
A true sociopath/psychopath will never let you see that side of them. It's kind of a prerequisite to actually be classified as one. A good example of one is Batman. He is actually very sociopathic, but you'd never know it. So yep, they are definitely all around us and you usually never know it. Good thing true socio/psychopaths are rare, too.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,631,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Would you agree with those sentiments?

The old saying, the "cream rises to the top" should be replaced "the snakes in suits rise to the top".

Its a great breeding ground for Sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies, but can you be a good person and rise the ranks in corporate america?

It seems the passive, nice, good hearted people are always the ones getting left behind
Definitely.

It takes a certain type of personality to play the movin' on up game. A very type "A" personality who can bend ethics at will and do other things lots of other people wouldn't do because their 'career' is not as important to them or their whole life. It's much worse now than it was 30 years ago.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:38 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,598,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree. There are just as many, or more, good environments in corporate America as/than there are bad environments. Good companies will hire good people. You will get jobs in the type of company that suits you. If you are in a crappy company, it's time for some retrospective reflection.

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Since joining CD I have learned that the folks who complain the most often need some serious reflection on their attitudes and behaviors. They almost seem to think there is a secret society of business owners who get together with the goal to make as many people miserable as they can.

Kind of falls into the statement I made a while back about raising up people believing that "everyone is a winner", which leads to entitlement. You will get out what you put in.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 AM

907 posts, read 707,410 times
I'm not just American, though I have spent the whole of my adult life here (7 years..) so perhaps I can offer an outsider's perspective, albeit limited. I'm also a bit young.

But, in America, everything is just so competitive. Where I was from...people generally aren't out just for themselves, and they aren't trying to make "the most money" as their main thing. In America, not so. Everyone is just so damn cutthroat and concerned with their own lot, and uncaring of others, that unless you were born into it, or learn to adapt, you'll quite easily find yourself on the outs looking in.

But, to a point. Yes, in America nice people, really, all people, get stepped on, abused, overlooked...but this is particularly true if they aren't vocal about it. You must ask for help here...which is different from back then where people might help you without you asking for it. It's a different culture. It took me a while to realize that if I didn't want to be constantly dismissed and disregarded...I'd have to learn to voice my grievances. In America, you have to be...umm, vocal about the misdeeds done to you and unafraid to seek out help/support/understanding. It won't just be given to you. You have to help yourself here. It's something I've learnt, and I've taken lumps in order to do so.

I don't know whether that's a good thing...but at the end of the day, reality is reality. You can either find a way to work with what is fact, or you can lament it...but what's certain is that the fact of "corporate culture" in America isn't going away anytime soon. So, adapt. If you don't like it...perhaps leave. And, I don't mean that in a bad way...there's a lot to be said about moving from America. If you can be happier elsewhere, go for it. Don't box yourself in thinking that you must find your happiness in the "expected manner". It's a big world out there, go create your own reality. Don't fall into someone else's reality for you. They are not you. It's your life. Only you have to live it. I can leave your life tomorrow, but you can't leave your life until you're dead.

And, once you have settled, find good people to surround yourself with. No, you're not going to get along with everyone you meet or work with, whether your superiors, or subordinates, or colleagues...but, I find it much easier to deal with when I have a strong social network I can always turn to and rely on. Though, maybe, ethics has no place in corporate America, I know for fact that there exists ethical people, working just to get through it, as dismayed by everything as you are. Nice people do exist in America. Heck, I'd say most people are actually very nice here...as long as you ask it of them. So, go find those people...they make life lots easier.

Last edited by gumisgood; 02-16-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 884,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
We had a song. We had strict dress codes. We got awards and bonuses.

But a couple years later, my company changed.(...) The company stopped our kick-off, annual meetings. The company froze wages. I stopped caring about them but hung on for about 13 more years.
It sounds like IBM. If it was, and if you were part of one of the recent RAs, congrats. That place is toxic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment