Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

I work for a hospital where we get paid weekly. Last Friday I deposited my paycheck and on Tuesday I was notified that my check bounced for non sufficient funds. I went to the administrator and was told everything was alright, they would pay any overdraft fees and not to worry. Then on Thursday all employees were told there would be no paychecks this Friday due to the payroll system being down. That is just an excuse and a lie which all employees know. I have read that the employer is required to give you one day full pay for each day from the bounced check date to the date that they make good on it. Does anyone know the labor law on bounced paychecks and late checks? I need a labor law code to take to my employer. They think we will not look up laws and they are in the free and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 11:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,663,169 times
Um.... you may be better off speaking with the US Dept of Labor. I wouldn't ask for this info on a forum.... just my .02.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
If it were me, I would start searching information on the company in the news. If there is even a hit of financial trouble, I am exiting stage left.

I would still try and get paid. If they are filing bankruptcy, it could be months before the claim is paid. A former employer went bankrupt, I didn't see my vacation pay for another 12 months from the bankruptcy court.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:07 PM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
I think you need to speak with the DOL in your state. It is time to find another job; this is not a good sign.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmomof3 View Post
I have read that the employer is required to give you one day full pay for each day from the bounced check date to the date that they make good on it. Does anyone know the labor law on bounced paychecks and late checks? I need a labor law code to take to my employer. They think we will not look up laws and they are in the free and clear.
Where did you read this?

As an employer with a multi-state labor force, I have never heard of this. Some states may have statutory penalties that could be based on something like that, but it's how their State Dept of Labor (or similar agency) fines those found guilty of violating the law.

What state are you in as that's the easiest way to check.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
I would start looking for a job ASAP. The hospital is not financially sound if checks are bouncing.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
I would not go so far as say 'jump ship' over this.

If they had a payroll snafu (yes folks this does happen to large corporations as well) and it caused payroll checks to bounce, if they took care of it upon discovery and paid all those associated fees like bounced checks and such, clearly they are financially able to afford expending the extra money. The second not getting a paycheck on the exact pay date could be a result of continuing issues with the payroll system/administrator/vendor that was not resolved and they are warning you now about it.

Things happen! It would be foolish to abandon ship over what may just be a temporary system failure that they are trying to correct.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Is it a public hospital? Can you pull their financial statements?

If I were employed there I would be very interested in finding out if the hospital is going to remain afloat.

As rabritta says, it's possible that this is simply an enormous error. But its your livelihood, and you don't want to go down with the ship.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:50 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

If they had a payroll snafu (yes folks this does happen to large corporations as well) and it caused payroll checks to bounce, if they took care of it upon discovery and paid all those associated fees like bounced checks and such, clearly they are financially able to afford expending the extra money. The second not getting a paycheck on the exact pay date could be a result of continuing issues with the payroll system/administrator/vendor that was not resolved and they are warning you now about it.

Things happen! It would be foolish to abandon ship over what may just be a temporary system failure that they are trying to correct.
That's why she needs to look into it. She needs to validate that it's payroll issue or the company's financial issues. If the hospital's finances look good, she can wait it out.

It doesn't require much effort, beyond looking at a few ratings or financial statements.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post

If the company is public and you can see they are in financial trouble, you'd want to jump. Staying on a sinking ship is never really a good idea.
As for it being a one-time thing but would you say the same if it happens another time or perhaps two more times? One-time can be a payroll SNAFU whether it is outside or inside but after two or three times, there's a problem there that could lead to a pattern that you WILL need the DOL to be a part of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment