Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,175,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Looking back (I'm in my late twenties) it really is incredible how much college was pushed on myself and my peers. Perhaps ever moreso than today. In the good suburban high schools even going to a community college out of HS would deem you basically a failure. Don't go to college at all immediately? Unthinkable.

Hopefully, nowadays, parents especially are wising up and helping their teens decide the best course of action. For some that might be a great four college while others go the CC route, trade school, military etc. At least the teens will understand the situation from a larger perspective and can hopefully make choices that give them the best opportunity to be successful and happy. I also think things like simply working full-time after HS or joining the military can give you a lot more than a paycheck. It can give the young adult a sense of independence is like and what true adulthood is like that being a full-time student living in a dorm can't. There's nothing stopping you from going to college when you're say 20 vs. 18.
We'll also be the next generation of 'parents', and we certainly won't let our children fall the way we have. I know I won't. I'll be pushing them to be successful with or without college degrees, and I'll teach them how to do it without one. A degree should really only be the cherry on top of an already successful person's pie.

... Somethin' like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 01:07 AM

1 posts, read 657 times
Default Don't Listen To These People

Let me tell you something dude, and you can quote me on this. I'll even give you my Facebook if you want to quote me on this. Regardless of what society says, you're not past your prime. You're in it. It sucks we live in a society that constantly pushes success into our heads and makes us feel crappy for not accomplishing what we see on the plasma screen. Screw that man, only you know your so up economic background. You can't compare yourself with other dudes your age, some people have had it easier than others. For me, I'm the same age you are and not too long ago I literally wanted to off myself. I thought my life was over and I accomplished nothing. I must bear the "bad" news here, but that's a lie. You're 24, you got in some debt. Not the end of the world. I personally just enlisted into the Air Force. They have amazing benefits and even have college repayment programs. When im in, I'm going to work hard to repay and kill my past mistakes and get that education. Your degree is more valuable than you think, you can even be a teacher. Look around for options. Message me if you want more info man, I know how it feels and it sucks real bad.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 AM

18,650 posts, read 33,216,650 times
^^^This.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 91,087 times
How have you been able to not work, ever?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,936,012 times
I know the economy has struggled mightily the last few years, but things are turning around. Here in Indiana, I see hiring signs all the time. Even McDonald's is starting people around ten dollars an hour.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,596,566 times
OP aside from going back to school and getting a in demand or "real" degree, my guess is that you will just have to take any job for the time being in order to build up some sort of experience, some references on the resume (assuming you have not already done so). If you are lucky you may be able to find an entry level job that is willing to train, that does not require strictly a degree in X and does not require 2-3 years of previous experience for an "entry level" position. So I would look into temp agencies, marketing assistant, customer service rep, call center type jobs etc... Failing that you will have to hit up the retail and fast food circuit. Is it ideal, is it desirable -probably not but you have to have something in the interim, in the meanwhile, whilst you look for a better job.

From my experience gaps on the resume is stage 4 cancer, it is cancer so advanced that the Make a Wish foundation" is already outside your doctor's office. Any type of gaps will be asked, prodded and will not be ignored by the interviewer and that is assuming you even get to the interview stage in the first place (whether it is phone or in person). Do not extend that gap, do not allow that gap to lengthen, if you have to take McJob at X, then take the McJob WHILE you are still looking for better work and while you are still improving your skills (online classes, self taught programming etc...).

Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM

928 posts, read 1,096,671 times
The OP hasn't really offered much other than finding an excuse for every single option that is given to him. Go work for Walmart - wellll, I don't know where the Walmart is around here. Go work in McDonalds - welllll, I don't know if I wanna work in fast food joint, with my degree and what not.

If you are just going to offer us excuses than go somewhere else. No body cares about your lack of a job and lack of motivation to get one.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:19 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,503,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The OP hasn't really offered much other than finding an excuse for every single option that is given to him. Go work for Walmart - wellll, I don't know where the Walmart is around here. Go work in McDonalds - welllll, I don't know if I wanna work in fast food joint, with my degree and what not.

If you are just going to offer us excuses than go somewhere else. No body cares about your lack of a job and lack of motivation to get one.
Right on.

If OP wanted a job bad enough he'd do whatever it takes to get one. Travel, network, ect. He just don't want to work. There are clearly jobs out there for him.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM

20 posts, read 19,101 times
I had a hard time right after I graduated. I took the first job I interviewed for and ended up hating it so much that I didn't even last two months. I was unemployed for like one month until I found an internship with a early-stage startup and they just offered me a full-time job. I'm virtually working for free right now, and even though I'm broke and still with my parents, I finally got the job experience I need to move forward and even look into other options in the future. My advice is look into working for free for a bit and look into internship programs that college students apply for. You need experience, take whatever you can get.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:40 PM

518 posts, read 867,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Individual View Post
Let me tell you something dude, and you can quote me on this. I'll even give you my Facebook if you want to quote me on this. Regardless of what society says, you're not past your prime. You're in it. It sucks we live in a society that constantly pushes success into our heads and makes us feel crappy for not accomplishing what we see on the plasma screen. Screw that man, only you know your so up economic background. You can't compare yourself with other dudes your age, some people have had it easier than others. For me, I'm the same age you are and not too long ago I literally wanted to off myself. I thought my life was over and I accomplished nothing. I must bear the "bad" news here, but that's a lie. You're 24, you got in some debt. Not the end of the world. I personally just enlisted into the Air Force. They have amazing benefits and even have college repayment programs. When im in, I'm going to work hard to repay and kill my past mistakes and get that education. Your degree is more valuable than you think, you can even be a teacher. Look around for options. Message me if you want more info man, I know how it feels and it sucks real bad.
Best one post wonder I've read. Seriously, good post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment