Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

943 posts, read 1,320,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
And then there are more workers who are just doing 40 hours a week and don't take work home. Look, we can post all the anecdotal evidence there is, teaching might not be the hardest, I don't think it is, but it's not the cakewalk some are projecting it to be. And for the record, I'm going into meteorology. Private sector or NWS all work rotating shifts. My friend works 2 evening shifts, 2 midnight shifts, 2 morning/day shifts, then takes 3-4 days off. Then repeats. Days off sometimes match with weekends, other times not. At NWS offices it's common to work 3 days morning/day shift, 2-3 days evening shift and 2 days midnight shift with 2 or 3 days off. And of course there are no such things as holidays, weather doesn't take Christmas or Thanksgiving off. And in severe weather outbreaks they'll often bring in more people who aren't scheduled to work, even if it's 3 am, that's just the nature of the occupation. Would I rather work more normal hours? Sure, but it comes with the territory and I'm ok with that. I'll at least be compensated fairly well for it. Still doesn't change the fact that I think teachers have to work a lot harder than people give them credit for.
Judging from my wife's experience, I think it comes down to two issues:

1. A lot of people think that teacher's work day ends when the kids go home. Even a little bit of thought would show that can't be true, but many people don't even do that bit of thought. So naturally they think that teachers have a lot of free time, much more than they actually do. It's not so much a competition among occupations to show that teachers have so little free time compared to others, but to show that that they aren't complete slackers compared to the average worker.

2. Dealing with kids all day long, especially elementary-age kids, is a very different work experience than most of us have to put up with. It's hard to say whether the job is really harder or easier when it's fundamentally so different. My wife is a kindergarten teacher. I'm a software engineer. She couldn't do my job. I couldn't possibly do her job. Which is harder? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Nope. I was dividing it by the number of hours you said you expect to work; ie 7hrs, 186 days.
No, I said I must work - actually, be on campus -7 hours. I actually work at least 60 hours a week when school is in.

Quote:
At those minimum hours, a fresh college grad would be making $28/hr and it goes up every year thereafter... My point was that I don't think a brand-new teacher with just a bachelors should be making that much. It's the after-class hours that bring it more in line.
That is not how you figure out the hourly wage. You take the salary and divide it by the hours worked. I thought you understood this based on this:

Quote:
But honestly, I've never met a teacher who thought they were only supposed to be working a school year's worth of 7 hr days... I don't even know what to do with that.
If a teacher only works 60 hours a week, for 186 days a year, he or she is being paid about $16 per hour. And that is only if they start out at $36,000.

Quote:
In which case, why not pick up a PE endorsement so you could be one of them?
I certainly could have. I've always been rather athletic and it's not like it's hard.

My area of expertise, however, is mathematics education. I'll leave PE to the jocks.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Here in GA there is no teachers union. Anyway my dad, private sector engineer, works 40 a week, gets every other Friday off, gets 2 weeks off at Christmas/New Years every year, plenty of sick days and vacation days, lots of holidays off, doesn't take any work home, and gets paid 30k more a year than a teacher with 30 years experience and a bachelors degree. If he did work overtime he'd be very well compensated for it.
And he will get laid off the day the company runs out of work.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And he will get laid off the day the company runs out of work.
If the company he works for runs out of work, the US economy would have to be in far worse shape than the recent recession. It's a major player, we'll leave it at that. Also he's a critical piece in his department. At his age they'll offer a lucrative early retirement package before they get rid of him.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
That is not how you figure out the hourly wage. You take the salary and divide it by the hours worked. I thought you understood this based on this.

If a teacher only works 60 hours a week, for 186 days a year, he or she is being paid about $16 per hour. And that is only if they start out at $36,000.
Like I said, that's national average. There are few that are lower, but not actually by much, and a few that are higher.
And that was my point. Really, $16/hr, for a fresh grad, isn't bad. Particularly since they're guaranteed a raise next year, and every year thereafter...
$28/hr was based on your original quote of 186, 7hr days. Like I said, I don't think that's even reasonable.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 02-18-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
the pay and requirements vary dramatically. Parenting of course is a huge factor. Long term subs are generally the gateway in.

don't forget about stipends. Clubs and activities can add up significantly. Other things to remember is that in many places I would not expect a raise unless you get more training. If you think you can get a bachelors and be set for life that's not the way it works, especially in the northeast. They'll expect a masters eventually and other teaching classes as part of continued development.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Like I said, that's national average. There are few that are lower, but not actually by much, and a few that are higher.
That is what an average is.
Quote:
And that was my point. Really, $16/hr, for a fresh grad, isn't bad.
It's not that good.
Quote:
Particularly since they're guaranteed a raise next year, and every year thereafter...
My son has received a raise every year that he has worked. He only has a bachelor's degree. Three years out of college and he makes 75% more than I do and works less hours. He also has generous time off and benefits that are far better than most teachers.

In some professions and companies, employees are valued. Teaching is not one of them. A much higher percentage of jobs that require a college degree are going to have better pay and benefits. Not all. But certainly a higher percentage that those who don't bother with college.

Quote:
$28/hr was based on your original quote of 186, 7hr days. Like I said, I don't think that's even reasonable.
I love how you keep referring to my quote. As if it is my, or most teachers' standard work year. I can't make it any more plain to you. Hours/days that are the required minimum to be on campus is completely different than the actual hours worked. If you keep setting up a false paradigm to make your erroneous points, it will only reflect poorly on you. It also makes me wonder whether or not you really are teacher.

You should mosey on over to the education sub forum and start a discussion about how easy teachers have it.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
If that's what you're getting, then you're completely missing my point.
And if I want to listen to teachers whine about how rough they have it, I can wait until lunch tomorrow. I know several who are convinced they're being shafted for having to work past 4...

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
If that's what you're getting, then you're completely missing my point.
And if I want to listen to teachers whine about how rough they have it, I can wait until lunch tomorrow. I know several who are convinced they're being shafted for having to work past 4...
You know, you are right. Teachers have it easy.

OP, disregard everything I've said. I made it all up. Just get in and you too can make $16 per hour and get a raise every single year*.

(*Or not. I haven't had a raise in five years.)

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
I say it's a good gig if you can handle the politics, the parents & and the kids.

One of my bf's is a teacher-
He's got a sign up in his classroom that says 3 good reasons for being a teacher:
June July & August
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment