Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 10:48 PM

140 posts, read 222,814 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

This is something I've started to become curious about. With my previous positions I've been lucky enough to automatically be offered a salary range that fits into my lifestyle without having to do any negotiating. However, this coming week I have an interview coming up at a company which is rather small (30-75 people) and the position did not list a salary range in its description, all it said was, "competitive salary". So my question is when is the time that I should mention my salary requirements? Once they make an offer? And if so how do I know what salary range to ask without automatically turning them off for me as a candidate if my expectations are too high? I know how much I use to make, I know how much I'm worth.

Just to give some examples; A previous position I was at only required an Associates degree and I started at 38k. I then resigned after 3 years and made 43k. Additionally, I finished a Bachelor's degree and am almost through a master's degree and was recently offered 50k for a position at a very large company (500+) which ultimately was cancelled before I 100% had it. This current position I'm interviewing for requires a Bachelor's degree or 4 years of experience. I happen to have 8 years of experience and a bachelor's degree is asking 50k too much for a company this small?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 PM

405 posts, read 570,196 times
I ask at different times depending on the situation, if I'm casually applying I will ask before I go on the interview, so when they ask me to come in I'll say, "What is the salary range? I just want to make sure I am within your range". If I am trying to get the hell out of my job I won't ask at all. Edit: The job I received an offer from is a small company, less than 200. I went in thinking if they did make me an offer it would be low, but they surprised me with a very competitive offer, I was actually shocked. In my experience smaller companies do offer competitive wages, so I would aim high and don't think 50k is too much. The highest offers I've received have been with small companies.

Last edited by sonyab523; 02-21-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I ask at different times depending on the situation, if I'm casually applying I will ask before I go on the interview, so when they ask me to come in I'll say, "What is the salary range? I just want to make sure I am within your range". If I am trying to get the hell out of my job I won't ask at all.
Yeah, I'm currently trying to get the hell out of my current job. They changed management and it's become a crap show. So I didn't ask them on the initial testing/invite stage.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I ask at different times depending on the situation, if I'm casually applying I will ask before I go on the interview, so when they ask me to come in I'll say, "What is the salary range? I just want to make sure I am within your range". If I am trying to get the hell out of my job I won't ask at all. Edit: The job I received an offer from is a small company, less than 200. I went in thinking if they did make me an offer it would be low, but they surprised me with a very competitive offer, I was actually shocked. In my experience smaller companies do offer competitive wages, so I would aim high and don't think 50k is too much. The highest offers I've received have been with small companies.
Just saw the edit. I appreciate the tip! As I mentioned in my previous reply. I'm in an extremely horrid position right now that is very heavily underpaying and treating me like scum more or less. That being said if I'm offered this new position after the interview I'd be willing to settle for much lower than I know I'm worth. I think I'm worth up to 55k a year right now but would be very happy with 50k. All of that said given the position I want to get out of right now I'm pretty sure I'd settle for 45k. So it's a pretty big range I'm willing to settle on. If they ask how much I want do I go with the lowest to guarantee the job or do I go with my mid range to make sure I'm getting closer to what I'm worth? lol Tough to answer I know.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,876,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas185 View Post
Just saw the edit. I appreciate the tip! As I mentioned in my previous reply. I'm in an extremely horrid position right now that is very heavily underpaying and treating me like scum more or less. That being said if I'm offered this new position after the interview I'd be willing to settle for much lower than I know I'm worth. I think I'm worth up to 55k a year right now but would be very happy with 50k. All of that said given the position I want to get out of right now I'm pretty sure I'd settle for 45k. So it's a pretty big range I'm willing to settle on. If they ask how much I want do I go with the lowest to guarantee the job or do I go with my mid range to make sure I'm getting closer to what I'm worth? lol Tough to answer I know.
There is no "right" answer that is going to get you the best offer 100% of the time. But you can give yourself an advantage simply by turning the question back around on the interviewer. When he or she asks what salary you are looking for, answer with something akin to "I'm somewhat flexible for the right opportunity. Do you have a budgeted range for the position?" I have only once had the interviewer decline to answer. Once they provide a range you have some valuable information to go on. If the numbers they give are at or above your expectations, you are golden. If it's a bit on the low side, then you have to decide if you can live with their range or if you want to press for more at this stage. If they are way low, it is in everyone's best interest to be straightforward and not waste any more time if you will never be able to agree on terms. For example, if they said the job pays $30,000-$35,000 you could mention you are seeking something in the range of 50-55K and ask if it makes sense to continue talking or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment