Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Im sure a lot of people will be happy to just make 50 grand a year these days after everything these scumbag politicians and Greedy Corporate Execs have done to **** everything up :roll eyes:

want to make ungodly amounts of money these days? You better hope to make it big in show business or end up doing something ILLEGAL

Otherwise you chances are few and far between

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! You get the daily prize for having the most asinine post on CD. While I agree with you that a lot of people would be happy to just make 50k, there are a TON of us out here busting our tails off to ensure our future financial health and we ARE increasing our incomes so it does and absolutely can happen. What sets us apart is we aren't sitting around wasting our time BLAMING others i.e. politicians and corporations for where we are in life.

I get so sick of the excuses for mediocrity. "BOOO HOOOO, I'll never get ahead because of those slime ball politicians and those evil corporations" We've had politicians and corporations since the founding of this country so should we blame them for everyone's plight in life? What ever happened to PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?? Some of the most broke people out there are in show biz so that's a pretty stupid statement. I've made a boatload of money and I made every dime LEGALLY just like a lot of others so that's even more stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 12:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
I think the article is pretty ridiculous. It seems to only be taking into account the wage one earns , rather than their total investments. It's possible for people to earn a lower wage, but invested their money somehow.

There are a lot of people that work for others and then end up going into business for themselves at a later age and then start making a lot more money.

This is typical of the main stream media to look at people that earn a high wage at work and declare them rich

Someone working for a wage , no matter how high is not rich unless they manage to save a lot of that wage and invest it well.

There are lot's of high wage earners that spend every dime throughout their careers and then end up broke or not much different off than someone that made a much lower wage than them.

This is covered in the Millionaire Next Door.

To be rich means you have your money working hard for you rather than having to work hard for money.

Very few people get rich trading their time for money.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think the article is pretty ridiculous. It seems to only be taking into account the wage one earns , rather than their total investments. It's possible for people to earn a lower wage, but invested their money somehow.

There are a lot of people that work for others and then end up going into business for themselves at a later age and then start making a lot more money.

This is typical of the main stream media to look at people that earn a high wage at work and declare them rich

Someone working for a wage , no matter how high is not rich unless they manage to save a lot of that wage and invest it well.

There are lot's of high wage earners that spend every dime throughout their careers and then end up broke or not much different off than someone that made a much lower wage than them.

To be rich means you have your money working hard for you rather than having to work hard for money.

Very true. I was one of the people that used to think I would do better if I just had more work. At one time I worked a full time and two part time jobs. What a mistake that is. The problem is that you only have so many hours in the day. I would rather spend time with my family. At the same time we have this desire to build wealth.

Something much better than selling time is selling or renting assets. These can be anything. A business that others do the work, a building that you rent out, things that you can rent out. Something that I really like is intelectual property such as a book, story idea, articles. You write something and sell it to more than one site. You may need to change the format or wording a bit to keep it fresh.

What I started doing is looking at all the things that I do at work and finding how I can package that up and sell it to others. it started with writing about what I do and then selling my information on how to accomplish something. The finished product can be sold over and over again. My first project was an instructional article on installing a hold open device for a door. The local company representative was able to use that in training for others that were looking to install that part. Since I had worked on additional applications for the product it was a bonus for everyone involved.

I still think that I am just scratching the surface on building viable written assets. So much more to do and it does take time to create each article or video production. Personally these are things that have brought in a little extra money. I am thinking with more direction and looking at what others have done I could build upon it untill it is bringing in a solid and growing income.

Some years back I read about others that did the same thing. A contractor that wrote a book on how to get your building project off the ground, that lead to how to pick the right contractor, and that lead to other books within a series. From what I read this man was making over $100,000 a year from book sales and he was one of many examples.

But all that may not be the big money that others are looking for. My wife and I make 6 figures. That is far from the big money. We also live on the coast in a modest older home. To get the lifestyle we would want would take much more that we have now. So how do you get from poor to rich?

Build a brand. Own the brand.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:45 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Given the way our economy is changing, I wouldn't put that much faith in backward-looking data.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:56 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
There are plenty of people born Rich, but they're usually Dicks.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:30 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Almost nobody is going to make it big working for someone else. Unless you start your own thing your at best going to be upper middle class.

I can see what the article is getting at though. Look most employers at an interview want to know what you made at your previous position, some even verify. If your making 35k why is someone going to offer you 100k even if your worth it? they can offer you 60k you double your salary but still hardly making it big.

I worked a deadend job for 7 years through my twenties biding my time and doing hustles on the side. I just recently quit that job to work on my own business. Don't get me wrong I'm not rich by anymeans but did 6 figures last year on a part time basis while still working a fulltime job and now have 100% of my time to devote to my business so the skies hte limit

Old 02-23-2015, 04:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I agree, nobody gets rich working for someone else unles your working for a startup and have a share in the company like the mark cuban example but most people go into startups knowing the pay is lower and future uncertain but there's a chance at hitting it big.

Anyone who works for someone else will not get rich by working but thorugh investments and things they do on the side.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I agree, nobody gets rich working for someone else unles your working for a startup and have a share in the company like the mark cuban example but most people go into startups knowing the pay is lower and future uncertain but there's a chance at hitting it big.

Anyone who works for someone else will not get rich by working but thorugh investments and things they do on the side.
Amgen is a big employer in this area. Well let me qualify that, they are getting ready or have allready had one of their largest lay offs in the history of the company. That being said, many older employees that never left the company were offered amazing benefits when they started there. One woman lived in the same apartment complex that I was living in back in 1989 - 1990. She had started at Amgen in the early days of the company. They had started back in 1980. Here she was in 1990 and she had told us she was moving out. She had bought her own home. A group of us asked her about that and she explained that the company had given her stock and she was selling some of it to buy a home. I should have thought hard back then about getting a job there because the party was far from over. Years later I read about the company and this same woman had kept the majority of her stock. Someone mentioned that her net worth was well over $20million.

I have met maybe a dozen Amgen millionaires living in the area. Two are close friends. One retired from Amgen a couple years ago and built his own startup in Texes that he has since sold. Turns out that he decided that working is not for him and he liked living here on the coast.

The stock options as far as I know are long gone. Still the company is generous with other benefits.

From what I have heard, the company match for their 401K is more than the majority of other companies. They give you 4% of your income and match you 1% for every 1/2% that you put in up to 5% of your pay. You end up with 19% of your income going into your retirement account.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Hahaha - silly people with hope! If you're not BORN with money, the odds are against you!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbankerman View Post
Getting rich isn't hard, you just have to be willing to accept an extremely high level of risk, and have a good amount of capital to invest. Spend a lot of time reading up on finance and learn the finer points of how investing and the stock market works, do your homework, and don't get greedy. It's not difficult to make a decent income on the side from your investments, the problem is that A. A lot of people don't have the interest or the time to invest in learning B. Although an understanding of how business and finance works is a big part of it, there's also a lot of luck at play which is not a controllable factor, and C. You need money to make money and unfortunately too many people in this economy are forced to work paycheck to paycheck and can't get ahead.
I work in Finance. I make a good living. A willingness to take an extremely high level of risk characterizes LOW income people, not high. High income and net worth are associated with individuals that prudently seek to control their risk levels. It is a dogma that high net worth was made off taking large risks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment