Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 PM

21,717 posts, read 24,949,937 times

Advertisements

As long as the fun career pays the expenses, I'd do that. On the other hand, don't quit your day job. If you've got dependents (wife, kids?), there's no way I'd take the fun career that didn't pay the expenses. Make a little less? Sure, absolutely. Work-life balance is more important than big income to me. That said, I'd rather work a job a hate and be financially comfortable than living paycheck to paycheck. Worrying about paying rent, bills, food even as a single person to me is incredibly stressful and far worse than any job I've ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 08:28 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,492,241 times
I've said it a hundred times on these forums but I would take the boring lucrative job and count myself lucky. I used to work in video game audio, my dream career, and it was a blast. But... the stability was nonexistent. I relocated more times than I can count. Lost all my savings twice after layoffs and struggling to find work. Went nearly homeless in the process. Sure it was good while I was working, but the worries of another layoff, another relocation, another paycut, it was too much stress to deal with.

Now I work in Accounting. It's stable, pays consistent, and I don't feel like the ground is crumbling out from under my feet. It's very boring sometimes (though it has its good days too!), but its justified knowing I can come home, kick off my shoes, and just relax and live comfortable.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:40 PM

336 posts, read 376,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
So, all things being said I feel my current job offers more than enough benefits to be "livable". It may not be the dream job, but it's a good job and and excellent career. Think I'll stick it out and fly for fun...just gotta find a way to not think about the "what might have been".
That's an important point. You can still enjoy flying without doing it as your day job. At the very least, if you aren't flying as a hobby now, you could give that a try to see if it will "scratch the itch," so to speak.

With the Federal Government, you will have many opportunities to advance your career. Retiring as a GS-15, at age 57 with 30+ years, would give you a decent-sized pension on top of your retirement savings.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
The ''time away from family'' is more important of an issue than the money. You cannot get that time back.
Stay where you are, is my advice.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:14 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,868,752 times
Quote:
I'd lose a lot of good things (pension, salary, work/life balance, and flexibility) I'd be on the road considerably more, and away from my family as a result.
This is what stood out most in your post. Time away from your kids is something that you can never get back.

But I do understand your dilema and I'm sure you probably have tons of student load debt. My last roommate graduated from Embry Riddle with over $100,000.00 in debt.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:19 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,409,165 times
I look at it this way, if youre married and/or have people that depend on you then bite the bullet and take the better income. You may hate your job but youll need the money down the road eventually. If its just you and no one really (needs) you then go all out and enjoy a fun but lower paying career.

Personally I find my job boring as hell. But Im not doing it for me, Im doing it for the people that rely on me.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
You are a captain at 24?

Go for it.

If you don't you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM

3,483 posts, read 8,988,335 times
I was a captain at 24, downgraded to first officer at 25. If i went back, I'd be a Captain at the regional level again, but would have to apply to the major/legacy carriers like everyone else with the hopes of landing the true high paying job.

My "dream calculations" put me at the regional airlines for 3 years before moving onto a legacy carrier...and calculations were based on progression at United Airline wages.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
Quote:
I was a captain at 24, downgraded to first officer at 25. If i went back, I'd be a Captain at the regional level again, but would have to apply to the major/legacy carriers like everyone else with the hopes of landing the true high paying job.

My "dream calculations" put me at the regional airlines for 3 years before moving onto a legacy carrier...and calculations were based on progression at United Airline wages.
You really need to go for it. Even as a FO for a legacy you'll do really well.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:26 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,733,896 times
Lucrative. You can have fun during non-work hours and vacations . . . and after you retire.

I love to have fun as much as anyone, but I also value getting a steady and lucrative paycheck - as well as knowing I have career advancement opportunities. Reduced financial stress makes me a much happier person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment