Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:01 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
20 something's have hard stressfull lives ??? Lol !!! Certainly not in the NYC or Boston area from what I see. I always see these fresh faced 20somethings at trendy restaurants bars buying clothes on Newbury street and Soho in NYC. But having a conversation with someone of that age is impossible if you can actually think for yourself and your life doesn't revolve around restaurants, buying clothes , summering in the Hamptons or Cape Cod
If that's all they can think about then I'd rather not talk with them at all. Then again I have no desire to go to NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 05:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
So many people parrot the bleeding heart BS from CNN and the General MSM about how life is hard etc... For this millenial generation and that the world should revolve around their wants and needs
Well if you had it hard in your 20's didn't you think the same exact thing?

Old 05-28-2015, 05:47 PM

306 posts, read 431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
If that's all they can think about then I'd rather not talk with them at all. Then again I have no desire to go to NYC
Not sure what gave Nick that impression about people in their 20's. Sounds like he's talking about privileged people, in general.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM

227 posts, read 283,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Those are the 1% in rich, prosperous cities. Things are tough out here in most of middle America.

I was just going to say that. Also there are hundred of thousands of college students that are still living on their parents' dime with summer break off- of course they are taking advantage of it. Very few poor people go to expensive private schools like Boston College, Boston University, Suffolk, Tufts, etc. That's such a distorted view... of all of the cities to judge by- ha!

As a FYI, I live in Boston in a college-heavy area and see a stark contrast between these areas and the neighborhoods with more long-term residents. I'm a 20-something, recent grad, living with my boyfriend here. I have one of those "good" jobs (not working in the 30ks as many of my peers are currently doing to "prove" themselves as competent workers gaining "experience"). However, with two incomes, every month paying bills can still be a struggle, especially with one of us having loans to scrape away at. Rent alone is terrible, and we are in a studio.

Also note that there are a lot of tourists (many rich) that visit Boston, and NYC, that are the ones fueling the clothing/restaurants/etc. economy.

Final point- I've spoken to many, many very intelligent students around here, particularly locals/metro. I fail to believe that their conversation abilities decline with experience. The prior poster must be in South End/Downtown with the tourists. How often do locals go to Quincy Market, unless hosting relatives?

EDIT:
Quote:
20 something's have hard stressfull lives ??? Lol !!! Certainly not in the NYC or Boston area from what I see. I always see these fresh faced 20somethings at trendy restaurants bars buying clothes on Newbury street and Soho in NYC. But having a conversation with someone of that age is impossible if you can actually think for yourself and your life doesn't revolve around restaurants, buying clothes , summering in the Hamptons or Cape Cod
I just realized that Newbury Street was used as an example. HA! Tourists & 1% rich students flourish there.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:09 AM

406 posts, read 559,283 times
Almost done with my 20's (another 2 months), and mine have been pretty good to me...

Finished undergrad, received the job I wanted prior to graduation, moved across country and got experience, completed grad school in 2 years with it fully paid by employer, convinced high school best friend to move to me and married her, bought a house and a couple cars, have a couple of dogs and take lots of trips.

Wife graduated undergrad on a full scholarship (prior to moving) and went to a major private university for her masters when she moved here, but ended up having it fully paid for by a center that also created a position for her at graduation.

I have switched jobs twice, once voluntarily and once as a layoff. The layoff could have thrown a major wrench in the works, but miraculously, I was able to find an exponentially better job before severance ran up (<1 month). Have jumped 120% salary in 4 years.

Now... If I could only pay off that undergrad debt... Other than that, I would say 20's have been alright. The greatest feeling ever was moving away from my home town and severing all financial ties to my parents. My own insurance, my own house, my own cars, and finally, my own cell phone bill.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 PM

23 posts, read 21,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Bumping because I just saw this post. It totally struck a chord with me as I too had a pretty awful experience in college, and getting a second BA/BS in order to "do it right" is something I've seriously been considering for years. Even though I went to a "prestigious" university, I grimace when I see the name of it on my resume or next to my name. It just wasn't me.

Problem is, when I was poor and unemployed I had no money to go back, Now that I'm (finally) making money at a job I like, (which does feel nice, I admit) I don't think it would be a good idea to quit it to be a poor student again. But the sense of longing that I've missed what was supposed to be the best four years of my life hasn't gone away. And now I'm in my early 30s -- it's only going to get more difficult to blend in with the college kids if/when I do decide to go back.

Not sure which is more difficult: to go back, or to admit to myself that I'm not going back.

You guys are talking about going back to college just for the college experience? Mine sucked too, but I doubt going back would be any better. You'd just be the old guy on campus that's trying to fit in. At least that's how I'd feel.

My 20's were pretty rough. The best years of my life were 12 - 15, after that it was all downhill.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:05 AM

227 posts, read 283,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvatar View Post
You guys are talking about going back to college just for the college experience? Mine sucked too, but I doubt going back would be any better. You'd just be the old guy on campus that's trying to fit in. At least that's how I'd feel.

My 20's were pretty rough. The best years of my life were 12 - 15, after that it was all downhill.
Yes, completely agree.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:43 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Literally didn't make any money on my career in my 20s because filmmaking is a tough pursuit but I built my business and established myself and learned a ton not to mention succeeded at several life dreams so I would say they were good but unsure and tough. I'm hoping 30s are where the money is. My company has turned a profit both years of my 30s and this year is shaping up as the best so far. It's going to need to pull more like $150,000/year for a while to repay my time and investment at least and make it all worthwhile but I think that's very doable and then it'll all be for the best.

I just think your 20s can be tough because there's usually no payoff yet. I want that self-esteem of knowing I made the right choices and that my path was justified but I have to wait it out and keep working hard.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:48 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
My 20s were relatively stable and comfortable. It took some "finding myself", like anyone else. All part of the journey. I wouldn't describe it as being hard though. Just follow the rules and contribute your fair share as best as you can.

Last edited by andywire; 05-30-2015 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,237 times
My 20's did suck, but I learned a lot from that time.

I had to work to support myself in college, and I had to finance my college education after I moved out. In my cultural background, young unmarried women aren't supposed to live on their own so my parents cut me off. It was an eye-opener to learn responsibilities on my own, things my parents didn't want to teach me (or expected a future husband to do) but I also learned with adult responsibilities come privileges. It was a balancing act, and I experienced a lot of stress and my health sort of went downhill.

Financially, I wished I had made different decisions. Decisions with how I managed my money, but also with jobs. I wasn't sure about college but continued it because it seemed to be the only way to getting out of the 20K maximum/yr rut. What made it more difficult is how there was the appearance of no one else working as hard or experiencing the hardships. It's easy to assume many young people are living the high life, as someone commented seeing them at trendy restaurants and wearing nice clothes, but the reality is far from trendy and nice. I've met enough people during my 20's who were more than happy to sacrifice eating real food at home to splurge at the restaurant on expensive drinks, or worked in awful environments because they didn't "have time" to look for a better job instead.

Your experience is not a unique one. Other people just aren't willing to be as honest about theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment