Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 03:00 PM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I work in a small office of about ten people. One of the people that sits across from me will sometimes be reading articles about something fairly controversial and then just begin telling everyone what it is he's reading. Today he was reading something about the anti-vaccine crowd. How do you deal with coworkers who like to talk about things which may be fairly controversial and alienate some colleagues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I work in a small office of about ten people. One of the people that sits across from me will sometimes be reading articles about something fairly controversial and then just begin telling everyone what it is he's reading. Today he was reading something about the anti-vaccine crowd. How do you deal with coworkers who like to talk about things which may be fairly controversial and alienate some colleagues?
I had a colleague talking to me about minorities. She was a non-minority and I was a minority. She was talking about racism to me and how minorities can be racist and I just smiled in her face and nodded, while saying over and over again "Wow. That's crazy. Wow. Uh huh. Yeah? Wow. Yeah. Uh huh. WOW. YEAH. UUUUH HUUUUUH??? OH? YEAH! WOW!" And eventually she talked herself right out of the room. You kind of just have to ignore it, especially if you're a subordinate. And I knew this person had sway in the company so I couldn't just brush her off and/or speak my mind.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I ignore them completely and go about my day.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:32 PM

154 posts, read 261,590 times
Ignore the. Excuse yourself to the bathroom, kitchen or your car. Make a phone call heck you can call yourself to pretend to busy (cell to office)

Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I had a manager who would always bring up gun control, religion, politics, race issues etc. He was very liberal, I myself am very consdervative. He would talk as if we both agree or have similar viewpoints which couldn't be futher from the truth and I would just kind of sit back and laugh as relaly I could care less what he thinks

Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
I ignore. Some people just like to debate. I don't personally understand it because I find it stressful, but I've known more than a handful of people who really enjoy a heated debate.

It takes two people to argue.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:

Do you get paid a salary to do your job?
If so then you ignore what is going on around the office and you set your focus on your duties and leave the others to be tended to by those in authority.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
I put my headphones on.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
In one work situation, whenever the ergonomic chair conspiracy theorist would get in arms, I would either smile and nod or I simply gave a straight face look followed by a short "hmm" depending on the subject. I basically was saying either "you are a nutcase, but I'm being nice today" or "you really are an idiot and I could run circles around you, but I choose not to spend the energy".

I worked with someone different who would want me to get involved. Always somehow asked, "what you do think about this, mangomadness ?!?" I'd respond, "I don't talk about controversial topics at work. I may make someone cry or their head might explode. It keeps everyone safe if I don't say anything." I would sometimes get a laugh out of it, but it always diffused the need for my opinion.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:36 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
I try to avoid debating, especially with co-workers, because I'm usually always right on whatever position I take. They don't like it but that's what happens when a lot of people simply don't due any real research on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment