Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,757,868 times

Advertisements

Around 9-10 years ago, the place where I work still actually had enough employees and was sufficiently-staffed enough so that we were successfully able to complete our work at a reasonable and realistic level, also with realistic deadlines and due dates. As the years went by and as people left, gradually over time the employees who stayed got assigned double the amount of work, and the effective workload of 2 people, since the slots of the departing employees who left were never filled or replaced. As time went on, it only got worse -- the employees who now had the workload of 2 employees, eventually took on the workload of 3, 4, and even up to 5 employees. Fast-forward to today, and I now essentially have the workload of 4-5 employees. The same deadlines as when we previously had the effective workload of 1 employee per person are still in effect as well, so we are not receiving more time to complete the work to balance things out, even though the workload has quintupled and the number of people to spread the work out to has decreased exponentially and drastically. Multiple attempts to reach out to my management chain in a constructive and positive manner to either (1) add more time to complete the work in so that I can actually be able to complete everything I need to do in the amount of time I am allotted; or (2) reduce the volume of the total and cumulative amount of work on my plate so that the workload itself is more manageable, have all been unsuccessful.

Does anyone possibly have and tips or suggestions that they might be able to offer, for how to successfully navigate this new-normal of "do more with less", at the workplace, while also being able to not have to totally sacrifice and lose everything with regard to one's family, loved ones, and personal life, outside of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Sounds like it's time to go get a job with a more reasonable company.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I agree with the "tip" given by StPaulGal. That's insane. You shouldn't have to try and figure out how to handle the workload, just find some other place to work.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:24 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
You leave.

Right now, it is not difficult enough on management to change their business model.

If we ever want to see a paradigm shift in the new-normal work environment, all employees must have a plan B. You have to put the onus back on management. The corporate mentality of how it treats its workers will not change with a discussion. It has to hurt their bottom line. Their attitude is, it's just business. That has to be your attitude too.

Taking one for the team is no longer productive, but rather has morphed into exploitative.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I wouldn't consider that to be the new-normal. I was able to create a new position and fill it without any problems, and we have other additional staff added to handle the additional workload, despite layoffs in 2009.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:14 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Not sure how many can leave and find something better since this seems to be the current standard. I understand about the lack of response from management -- to them everything is number 1. The only thing I've found is they no longer care about quality, only about meeting the due date. So I do five jobs poorly and management is happy as can be.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't consider that to be the new-normal. I was able to create a new position and fill it without any problems, and we have other additional staff added to handle the additional workload, despite layoffs in 2009.
That's great for you, but it's only a personal anecdote. It's the new normal in a growing of number of jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Not sure how many can leave and find something better since this seems to be the current standard. I understand about the lack of response from management -- to them everything is number 1. The only thing I've found is they no longer care about quality, only about meeting the due date. So I do five jobs poorly and management is happy as can be.
Enough employees have to have the option to leave. It's not a simple solution. Corporations will behave how we allow them to behave. The answer may be acquiring a new skill, going back to school, starting your own business, or taking a lower paying position in a different field.

It's like being in a bad relationship. A break-up will be painful on many levels; sometimes desperately so. But in the long run, separation will open you up to positive encounters.

The solution does not lie in trying to get the company to see right. It lies in you exercising your options. It's no different than staying with an abusive person and then complaining about it to everyone. You are not going to change the other person; you are not going to change the corporate climate.

If enough employees adopt this way of thinking, the corporate climate will change. And will change without new laws being made, Occupy demonstrations, union pressure. It will change the behavior by using logical consequences.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Our company just merged two positions to one. I took the time to prioritize what needs to be done. There are days I want to pull my hair out and days that are smooth as silk. Luckily everyone is a huge team player and work together which makes a difference.

I make lists like crazy and follow up tasks on my calendar.

However if it is too much, time to look for a new job.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Fake it 'til you make it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment