Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 07:07 PM

731 posts, read 1,573,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
Recently the organization I work for has been bringing lots of people in for job interviews. I see them sitting in their suits waiting in the lobby and so many of them recently seem so old. I hear from HR that many of the applicants who have come in are 55-65 years old and have been out of work for a long time. Many just seem so old and I wonder if they will ever work again in a professional full time job.

The hiring managers have not been to encouraging for these long term unemployed older men, so far none of them are being hired. Instead we are hiring people in their prime years (their 30s). There seems to be a preference for applicants in their 30s. Young enough to be full of energy and drive, but mature enough to understand business and how to behave in the office.

When I look at these sad older men with their 20 year old suit coats sitting in the lobby waiting to be rejected, my mind goes back to the 1990s, when they were likely very marketable and on top of their game. Did they ever realize it would come to this 20 years later?
Your thread title is misleading, you weren't sad at all. You just wanted to make fun of old people who more than likely have a lot more integrity than you possess. You will also be unemployable some day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,455,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
Your thread title is misleading, you weren't sad at all. You just wanted to make fun of old people who more than likely have a lot more integrity than you possess. You will also be unemployable some day.
What makes you think he's employable now?

Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM

731 posts, read 1,573,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What makes you think he's employable now?
Really......it could be he didn't get a job either!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 PM

11,319 posts, read 9,201,867 times
Quote:
If only life was fair...

Old 02-26-2015, 08:14 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
Quote:
This guy is a chronic poster of many names. He's formerly claimed to be retired and in his 50s.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,997,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Is it always raining outside when these men are waiting to be rejected? And do they have a wrinkled newspaper tucked under their arm and are they carrying a black briefcase? Do they smell of liver?
Hahahaha! They smell of cabbage.

Quote:
Don't blame me for the plight of these poor men. I feel sorry for them. I suspect they only talk about the last 15 years of work on their resume and don't put their college graduation date to fool the reader of their resume and then when they are brought in with all their white hair and wrinkles and bad backs, they are quickly dismissed by the 30 something hiring managers as out of touch and tired.
Come on y'all. This guy is most certainly a troll. This is a laundry list of troll post. Old people, tired, boring, grey, etc. Too bad they aren't in wheelchairs or he'd hit the trifecta.

Quote:
Didn't you see the title of my original post about the sad unemployed older folks made me sad?
Yes, the recruiters and hiring managers told everyone who would listen that they did not hire the older applicants because they seemed tired and sad.
This is how I know you are flat out lying. No human resource manager on the planet would admit to not hiring someone because they were tired and sad which is related to them being old.

Get out of your parents basement and come see the sunlight. Go for a walk, talk to a girl. It's time to get back into society.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
I feel like the OP accidentally opened the door to Oklahoma in 1932. OP, have you been reading The Grapes of Wrath by chance? Or perhaps you work at your local Union Gospel Mission? Your imagery is...vivid...to say the least.
I didn't think that Tom Joad was a loudmouth, though...

Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,550,055 times
I'm 55 going on 56 (this May), still employed (knock on wood). I started working 30 years ago (took the long path through college and did not really know what to major in until the 6th year).

The funny thing is that I took life too seriously all my life. My dad told me that when I was in my 20s. But when I started working I took a job I did not want in a tiny town that I did not want to live in (wanted to work in the big city) and at a lower salary than I hoped for. Jobs were scarce to the boomers born in the late 50s. But I still found ways to save some money and set aside money into retirement funds. I have done the same all these years. Over the years I moved to work in big cities, for big corporations, small corporations, for job shops, and back to small corporations. Always maximizing my 401k and IRA contributions. And I even had the opportunities to squirrel away a lot of money outside retirement funds.

So if i get painted into a corner I will just kick a hole in the wall and exit that hole. I don't really need a job. I created my own unemployment insurance.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 AM

1,059 posts, read 824,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Well if I had a company which I don't I would hire a sprinkle of this and a sprinkle of that. A nice variety, an onion scented breathed receptionist of obese proportions and a irritating yet motherly accent, in her late 50's. A young salesman with a freckled faced demeanor and bright eyed sparkle. An over coated old man who drinks his coffee black and won;t speak to anyone till 10am after he wakes up a bit. Also a gay man with red colored framed glasses who acts 20 years his junior and we all think of him as 36 even though he is 55. He entertains us with stories from his design business he has on the side.
Ah nice vision.
Nice stereotypes there, creepy. This whole thread is the most ridiculous one I have seen yet, although I admit to being in stitches (that's old people's talk for laughing). I feel sorry for the young folks in this cut-throat, extremely competitive work world, as reflected by some of the subjects posted on this thread. It ain't easy for any age, just keep that in mind.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,545,428 times
Ha ha!
What goes around comes around, kiddo! It will be here sooner than you can imagine.

Hey, did you know that some employers prefer ''older'' workers because we: 1. Show up each day. 2. Commit to the long term. 3. Have an excellent work ethic. 4. Don't act like we know everything and are ready and eager to learn more than the vast amount of knowledge that we already bring to the job. 5. Know what ''team player'' means...

I could go on and on but it's time for my warm milk and Lawrence Welk show before bedtime...yawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment