Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
My commute by car is 4.5 miles. It usually takes between 10 & 15 minutes to get to work. I don't drive any freeways, just side streets. Once in a while I have to stop for our light rail system when there are trains on the tracks.

Public transit would greatly increase my short commute and the only available transit (in the direction I'm going would be bus), which I'm not going to take.
why wouldn't you take the bus? just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
40 Miles each way

Around 45 minutes - traffic depending

Volvo XC90

Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
I'm actually commuting north to Beavercreek. Either way, that commute sucks. Yours will really suck once you're going up to Blue Ash. I just got this job last year after resigning a job about 13 miles from my house. I was smart enough to negotiate up my salary to compensate for commuting expenses. I didn't realize how fast that commute would get old.
Weed, I drive from Centerville to Tipp City to work. (38 miles one way; a Ford F150 pickup) Fortuantely, both ways are off-peak hours. 10 p.m to work; around 11 a.m. return. I hope your commute to Beavercreek on I-675 doesn't get any worse as trucks and others detour around the I-75/Route 4 construction!

I'd love to commute by bicycle or bus. But I must take my lunch and a large suitcase of equipment to work every day (as well as haul it in/out of an entry-contol gate; THAT'S fun...) My employer won't even provide lockers for us to keep our stuff in at work...

Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 PM

441 posts, read 2,108,807 times
12 miles and 22 minutes by car. Not bad. The bad part is where the employee parking is located. Once parked, it is a 20 walk to the building from the parking garage. They once ran golf carts back and forth for us to ride to the building in, but then decided they wanted to promote healthy habits, so they make us walk. Jerks. Although I am only 22 minutes from work, it takes me almost 45 minutes to get from my house to my desk.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I hope your commute to Beavercreek on I-675 doesn't get any worse as trucks and others detour around the I-75/Route 4 construction!
Hmmm... I wasn't aware of the construction... hopefully it won't have much effect. The commute isn't really that bad in terms of traffic. Most of the traffic (on 75) in the morning is southbound and I'm headed northbound. It really only gets bad when it rains hard or snows. Snow is terrible.

Quote:
I'd love to commute by bicycle or bus..
Biking would be cool... Good exercise, cheap fuel.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:04 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
8 minutes by car. Wish we had public transportation in my town- it would be a straight shot in one direction to my place of employment. What a waste of gas but I can't walk it. I work alone so I can't carpool (I get to work at various times and I leave as soon as I'm done....with whatever it is that i'm doing ).

Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
If I walk, it's about ten minutes to my office. My office building is very, very close to me but it's close in terms of city blocks... Which means that it's actually quite a distance. I can, however, take the L. I don't own a car.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
why wouldn't you take the bus? just curious.
Quote:
Public transit would greatly increase my short commute and the only available transit (in the direction I'm going would be bus), which I'm not going to take.
My commute would go to about 45-60 minutes by the time I switched several buses on my route. Plus I'd have to walk (sometimes in bad weather) to the bus stop. I'd rather walk into my garage and drive my own car. I also go home for lunch to check on my dog and to eat. With no car, that wouldn't be possible.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
but then decided they wanted to promote healthy habits
they just wanted to save money by not paying people to drive the golf carts around

Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
My commute would go to about 45-60 minutes by the time I switched several buses on my route. Plus I'd have to walk (sometimes in bad weather) to the bus stop. I'd rather walk into my garage and drive my own car. I also go home for lunch to check on my dog and to eat. With no car, that wouldn't be possible.
that makes sense. i'm just glad you didn't say 'buses are for poor people' or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment