Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I just can't fathom how executives (or even lower management ) can take so much money in yearly bonuses (or even the perks) and not distribute to the true BACKBONE of the company (The people in the front lines that truly are the heart and soul of the company that make it run, and maximize the profit due to their production.).

I would just feel so guilty and feel like a SCUMBAG putting all that money in my own pocket.

How can people be like this? Lack of conscience? No morals/Ethic instilled when they were young??
It is YOU. It is YOUR DECISIONS YOUVE MADE IN LIFE that have left you in your position. Somewhere, at some point, everyone could have done something different. I don't think bill gates or Steve jobs were born with silver spoons in their mouths.

I'm so sick and tired of people not holding themselves accountable for their lack of success. It's probably the reason they don't have the success they want in the first place.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
The other thing to keep in mind is sometimes insiders might own so much of a company that they might trigger a sell off if they sold off a significant portion.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I just can't fathom how executives (or even lower management ) can take so much money in yearly bonuses (or even the perks) and not distribute to the true BACKBONE of the company (The people in the front lines that truly are the heart and soul of the company that make it run, and maximize the profit due to their production.).

I would just feel so guilty and feel like a SCUMBAG putting all that money in my own pocket.

How can people be like this? Lack of conscience? No morals/Ethic instilled when they were young??
- My tax bill this year shows I do plenty of "distributing the wealth".
- A mistake at a lower position does not have much consequences, whereas the higher on the ladder a person goes, the more costly the mistakes are.
- The lower the position, the less inputs there are into the position, the higher the ladder a person goes, the more inputs the person needs to take into account.
- There are less people qualified at higher positions than lower positions, thus the people at higher positions will get paid more.

And the last point is really what it is all about.

So if you want more money, do what I and many other people have done, obtain a higher position.

"The people in the front lines that truly are the heart and soul of the company that make it run, and maximize the profit due to their production."

Those people do not do anything unless told/delegated to do so, the people doing the telling are the ones who get paid more, the pay increases the further up the ladder this goes.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:32 PM

49 posts, read 52,307 times
Let's look at the small tool & die company I worked for while I was going through college. They had a profit sharing program where every worker got a share of the profit each quarter. Each check was equal whether you made $8.00/hr or $30.00/hr.
Every time, without fail, someone would bring up how unfair it was that the $8/hr employee got the same amount as them. In my final year there, we got a new CEO who continued with the program. The same folks complained. At the next profit sharing meeting, everyone was gathered around like normal and when it was time for the slide to come up with the amount of our checks, it read $0. The next slide was a chart of the most profitable areas of the shop. The guys making $30/hr were not a part of any of those departments.

My point being, even when a CEO does distribute profits, people are going to complain that it wasn't done fairly or it wasn't enough. And once you do give money, it becomes an expectation. Wait until you see the uproar that comes when there are no profits to be shared.

It's much easier to give to charities that are doing work you believe are making the world a better place. In the case of the tool & die shop I worked at, the extra money generally went toward gambling, booze, & cigarettes. Not a hard choice for a CEO to make in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Philanthropy is a tax shelter. Take away the tax benefits & see how many people donate out of the goodness of their heart. Let's see you donate your time. Get in the trenches. Time is more valuable than money.

The amount of people talking about how "hard" executives work and how they "earned" their money is sad. The fact that someone can not work a day for a year and still make money via interest is ludicrous and criminal. Honest day's pay for an HONEST day's work. But as long as people think it's okay for owners to make millions off the backs of people doing the real work, the income gap will get wider. Brainwashing is very effective.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Philanthropy is a tax shelter. Take away the tax benefits & see how many people donate out of the goodness of their heart. Let's see you donate your time. Get in the trenches. Time is more valuable than money.

The amount of people talking about how "hard" executives work and how they "earned" their money is sad. The fact that someone can not work a day for a year and still make money via interest is ludicrous and criminal. Honest day's pay for an HONEST day's work. But as long as people think it's okay for owners to make millions off the backs of people doing the real work, the income gap will get wider. Brainwashing is very effective.
Philanthropy is not a tax shelter. It doesn't shelter your money from taxes.

Yes, the tax benefits are an incentive for philanthropy. Wealthy folks believe that $1 will be more beneficial when used for charitable purposes than $0.40 used in the private sector. That's why they participate in philanthropy.

To call earning interest ludacris is ludicrous in itself. Are you suggesting that we eliminate loans and borrowing altogether and people, businesses, and governments only use what they have on hand?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
If you were a CEO, would you distribute your bonus/paycheck to others?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:54 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
The CEO of the company I work for will make something in excess of $2 million/yr. in salary and bonuses, not to mention various perks by working in the industry we work (not to mention attractive stock options). He is also the CEO who took over a company that was privately owned (though very well known) and performing pretty lethargically. In his tenure, he has moved it to a publicly traded company, performing well ahead of expectations, and is now one of the fastest multi-national companies in our industry.

He did this using his years of experience and business acumen, and by working nearly non-stop to make all the right decisions so our company is now thriving. It seems the man nearly is never home with his family going off the intranet articles. It is because of his work and expertise there is employment opportunity and probably a contributing factor to why I make a fraction of his compensation but the best paying job I've had in my life - plus plenty of opportunity to the extent I apply myself.

For me to come back and say this CEO "owes" me something just because I want more than I originally agreed to in my employment offer I voluntarily accepted? That would sound pretty greedy on my part...
Top tier private companies are better places to work and are less so after a year or two of a public offering or take over having employees give to hedge fund / stockholders' bottom line. Guess who takes a hit to give those non productive whores more?
Those that actually build a business are typically more generous with employees. Corps are not people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment