Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:36 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Posted a few months back about a dilemma that I was having with choosing a new career field.
Made a career transition from professor to entry level software developer.

I ended up leaving New York for greener pastures in Dallas, TX. Chose Dallas over Chicago and Atlanta.
Took a 30K+ pay cut to make the move.

Well after a month of living and working in Dallas I am starting to feel like I did not make the right choice.

The job itself is not bad. Cool coworkers. Laid back work environment. However, training that the company promised to provide was misleading. Also the job description is nothing like the actual work that software developers are doing. My particular division is doing nothing more than fixing bugs in our software.

I also do not enjoy living in Dallas. I was looking for big city hustle and bustle and have not found it here. Also, not as easy as I expected to make friends here as a single 30 something.

Only been here for a month and I am already thinking about looking for other work. Only thing holding me back from looking elsewhere is that I have 5 months left on my apartment lease.

I am thankful to have job, but feel very disappointed in the move that I made. I think it may have more to do with location than actual work. I should have moved to Chicago. Could you guys offer any advice on my situation.

Last edited by usamathman; 03-01-2015 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,959 times
I think you should stick it out, for a while at least. Frankly, it sounds to me like you were expecting a bit too much. You are only a month into this. It's pretty natural that you wouldn't have found a close friend group yet. These things develop over time. And it is equally natural that the work you are doing is not super high-level or scintillating. You stated yourself that this is an entry-level position. Everybody has to start somewhere. If you stick around you will move up the ranks into more fulfilling work.

I can't tell you whether or not you made the correct career move for you. But don't pull the plug without giving this move a solid chance.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
It's difficult enough to change one thing, but to change two major things - job and location - is tough. It takes time to adjust to both a new job and home. Even if this isn't the dream job you envisioned, can you stick with it a year as an opportunity to learn and move on?

I don't know what to say about not having proper training, but have read and heard about this in your field more than once. I'm sure others will have suggestions.

You can read the Chicago forum and see the same complaint from people who relocated from NYC and other places. It's tough to make new friends once you're out of school. Go to meetup.com and join a singles group or two, or look for a group of people with a shared interest that's either related to work or a hobby. You'll meet more people your age that way than you will by hitting the bars.

Hang in there and good luck!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:40 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
I would not feel any sense of obligation to this company, or worry about the lease. I would look for work in Chicago immediately. It will likely take many months to complete a hiring cycle, anyway. Personally, I wonder why you thought you needed to move. There are many more software jobs in NYC than almost anywhere outside of Silicon Valley, and they pay very well.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:30 PM

908 posts, read 961,081 times
we moved to a new state too a year ago and it's tough. i have kids and i think that's one of my main social connections (team sports, pta, etc). if i were single i would think it'd be tougher. we wanted to move back but decided to stick it out for now. do your coworkers socialize together? have you visited a church?

Old 03-01-2015, 11:37 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
You've only been there one month? It seems awfully early to get such a strong impression.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:01 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Its only a month. Give it a year!!

That said, I have no idea why someone would choose Dallas over Chicago. Chicago is a fantastic city. Dallas is highway based.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:03 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Stay a year and then move on, try to think of it as a short period of time, it will blow by fast. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:12 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
You’ve been there a month, that’s nothing. You’re an entry level person, they’re not going to have you building the next MS Office package. I grew up in NYC too, Dallas is not NYC. I would have went to Chicago but that’s neither here nor there. You’re in Dallas. Stay there for a while. Job descriptions are hardly ever what a job is like. Companies don’t bring people in to spend money on teaching and training them. They do the minimum of what needs to be done for you to do your work.

You have one month experience and you are going to look for another job? Sounds like an awful idea. Get back to us in 3-5 years, and be thankful that you were able to get a chance to move into what you wanted to move into. Pfft, one month, come on man, stop being so flaky.

Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
If you don't enjoy Dallas now, just wait until summer...you'll hate it even worse. And yeah, I would never choose to move to Dallas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment