Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 PM

490 posts, read 583,965 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the OP is working in the disposable McJob sector. The type of employment environment that was designed from the business plan forward to have a high turn over rate, not a career but a short cycle employee that hopefully last a few months. For instance a lot of the Over the Road trucking firms have annual turn over rates of 300%+, because those jobs suck and the owners know it. On the other hand try getting a truck driving job for Shell Oil delivering gasoline locally/regionally. Even drivers with yrs excellent work ethic, experience, and skill would be more likely to win the lotto then snag the gig with Shell.

Slop was slop in 1975 and its still slop today, just a lot more slop around to step in 2015. To bad you have every one figured out as lazy and worthless pumping out babies for the dream of living on welfare, which single men and woman can't get any way regardless of age in a lot of States. Where it can be found , the mighty $500.00 a month living in the Ritz there are strict requirements and time limits, its not endless. Democrat, hahaha more like Rush JR.

If you need a change come and see me later this summer I'll be adding a crew to prepare for prescribed controlled wild land burns next winter. You could take your aggravations out on that physical job, tough but i promise you a decent pay check and paid Holiday. I might not have any openings though my turn over rate is very low. I keep it more mellow then what you must judging from your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Is a livable wage being offered? If not then I can see why the low interest in the job that's being offered.
Beyond a livable wage - almost three times minimum for someone with only a bachelor's and minimal experience.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:21 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Beyond a livable wage - almost three times minimum for someone with only a bachelor's and minimal experience.
So 40k a year? With benefits? That's really good for someone that hasn't been employed for years.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:25 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
So 40k a year? With benefits? That's really good for someone that hasn't been employed for years.
It's in the 30s for sure if they work a regular schedule - plus opportunities for more. Not a gravy train but not bad either.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but as a employer, I've seen the reality. I get people with employment gaps and give them an opportunity to work in a fairly easy work environment, and what do they do? Flake out in week one.

I offer work to the unemployment and they don't return my emails. I offer people work and then they think "OMG, I've not done this before!!!" and flake out and don't come back after two days. I offer people interviews - no response. I guess whatever I'm offering - real work - isn't as attractive as sitting on one's *ss and doing nothing.

Sorry, but if I see another thread about "I've been unemployed for 5 years, what do I do?" I'll have to tell them to stifle it. If you're unemployed for more than a year, you're a loser. Plain and simple. Get over yourself. The world owes you nothing. Get off your duff and get a freakin job. Or starve.
Isn't that what they're trying to do in the first place?

I don't know anyone as lazy as the people you describe. Where are you finding these people?

The longest I've ever been between jobs was 2 weeks (quit on the spot since my employer was pressuring me to do shady things I wasn't at all comfortable with). And I was losing my mind because it felt wrong to not be working.

So it just seems hard to believe that there are people who are okay doing nothing for years on end.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 PM

84 posts, read 79,858 times
Quote:
It's in the 30s for sure if they work a regular schedule - plus opportunities for more. Not a gravy train but not bad either.
OP, I'm curious about the types of role(s) you hire for. You don't need to go into specifics, but can you give us some sense of what the job involves? Does it require in-person customer service skills, written communication, computer skills... just trying to get a frame of reference.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:46 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
Then there are millennials like me who have a good work ethic, but constantly get screwed over by their bad employers to the point of throwing in the towel. We call people like me, incredibly unlucky.

I've done tons of things during my unemployment besides job hunting: keeping up to date with my skills, learning new skills, going back to school, volunteering for three years at the same place no less!, and even networking within my industry. Nothing. Jack squat.

I've since realized that location is the issue, not me. There isn't a good market for the industry that I want to go into here in my state. Both my previous industry and my current industry have basically no stability here in my state, so I'll have to move. I'd love to do that honestly, but finding it difficult to stomach working another job for a soon-to-be bad employer. Out of several jobs through the decade, only 3 had good employers. Unfortunately, all three were temporary jobs, I did ask for a re-hire but their management has changed so much that they do not know who I am and some of them do not even have paperwork/proof that I used to work there! Ouch.

I am actively job searching, brushing up on my skills yet again, and starting a side project that I hope will take off soon....I can only hope that the next boss I'd get is actually legit/ethical and not a bad boss. I don't think I can take anymore bad bosses, I'm almost at the breaking point....

Old 03-04-2015, 11:54 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
A job is better than unemployment for six months. She can always take a job and keep looking -- there's that you know.
Whuh!? So you'd be fine if someone accepted a job at the company you're at now, worked hard, good attitude, and added value to the company. And then this person jumped ship for a better company all so that this someone can fulfill your expectations of how job searches should work? I thought there were plenty of C-D threads about folks who don't stick with a company for minimal amount of time to avoid the "job hopper" label.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:50 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Time flies?

Why not make use of your time? The moment you're unemployed, you should be up at 8 in the morning and working until 5 p.m. to find a job. If you're not, then you're lazy.
To begin with, you can only be on unemployment for a certain length of time. When the unemployment runs out, it's out. And I've never seen unemployment go longer than 18 months.

Secondly, you are required to search for work while on unemployment and that means filling out an application and going to interviews. And yes, if you are offered a job, you have to take it. You have to have a very good reason for turning down an offered job if you are on unemployment, so it pays to be picky about jobs, but you need a job, any job, so you apply for them all.

Unemployment doesn't pay much. And guess what? It costs money to go to college to get a Bachelor's. It takes money to print out all those resumes. It takes money to tootle around in a car to go to interviews. I've had to cancel an interview because I couldn't afford the bridge toll and I've interviewed for jobs that cost me almost $100 for travel expenses just for the chance of getting an interview. I've interviewed for jobs where I'd have to commute 75 miles - one way. Don't anyone tell me I'm lazy because I couldn't find a job in less than a year.

When it comes to money, other factors come into play. Your credit takes a hit when you miss a bill or get your utilities turned off. Want to work for a bank or be a toll booth collector or want to apply for a job that requires handling money? If you don't have perfect credit, forget it. Then there's the ageism. Whether you like it or not, it's a very real thing.

As for working 8 to 5, believe it or not, after a while you really do run out of places to apply. I sent out over 200 resumes one summer, got 7 interviews and no callbacks. I took classes to brush up on my computer skills, I volunteered so I could put that on my resume, I did everything but take out an ad. Still no bites.

I have worked 35 years for only 4 jobs. I stayed in one job for 16 years, another job for 5 years, another one for 4. I lost my last bank job went the bank went under. I'm a good worker but what I am not is someone who is 22 and has a blemish free credit record.

Too many companies see their workers as debits, not assets. Leaders don't stand over their employees with a whip. They get down and grab the ropes right along with them. As long as you're cracking a whip, you will have employees who disrespect you and disrespect the job. I want to work for a company I can be proud or working for. Somehow, I don't think I'd be proud to work for a company who has hired someone with your attitude.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:59 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Wtf. Harsh.

Please don't lump all unemployed people in the same category. Sometimes people are unlucky, are in a bad location, or just keep getting passed up (employers can be picky these days). If they were truly sitting around and being lazy then yeah, no sympathy, but for those actively trying this is a slap in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment