Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Again, as I've said previously, I basically like my employees. Not talking about them, so much. It's the flakes who waste my time in the interview and new hire process. It's people who waste my time by sending in garbage resumes which obviously took no effort. People whine that there are no jobs out there for them -- and they're right. There aren't that many good jobs out there for people who expect a paycheck to fall into their laps, or feel that they're entitled to work in a specific field for which they don't have the qualifications or that got largely eliminated due to changes in economics and technology. As I said, people have to adapt to the world around them, not the other way around.
You can try to justify your situation any way you want, but in the end, the problem is not the employees.
The employer alone sets up the dynamic and environment of their business. You might want to reevaluate the nature of your management ideology if you want to lure and retain quality people. They are out there, why can't you pull them in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 AM

132 posts, read 294,498 times
The OP is funny....he is complaining about the unemployed being lazy and yet he spent so much time on this thread already convincing us that it's "them" not "me"

The OP's job must not be that important since he can afford to spend so much time defending his/her thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Sorry to say but judging by the high turnover the problem is likely management, crappy dead end job with low pay or both. I'm unemployed and I agree there are a lot of people living off of benefits not doing anything all day instead of making finding their job a full time job.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 AM

12 posts, read 11,746 times
I have unemployed before, even at age 20. I have moved from 9 different jobs since 17, with 1-2 months gaps in employment at times. That said, it's hard finding jobs that you want, but there are plenty jobs that you need. I had have worked in "fast" food (like Boston Market), retail, seasonal, hardware, and in housekeeping before I found a great job in hospitality. I applied to the job last March I believe but I didn't get a call/get hired until December. And the jobs that I had before were all crappy, part-time jobs that didn't bring in much money.

In my opinion, I've seen too many people complain about the jobs they have. I have friends/family members who hate their job but as soon as a new store store opens up, or there are places hiring, they look at it as "ugh, I wouldn't want to do that" or "I don't want to work weekends" or "I wouldn't want to wake up that early/late to get to work", whatever excuse that is in the book. Or they wait until three weeks after the hiring event to apply, or don't call back about their application. Which if you wanted the job, they wouldn't be having so many excuses.

Also, at the hotel I work at, a new wine store held an open hiring event. I can't tell you how many came in leggings, pants sagging, neon colors, hair not done, hoodies, jeans, gym clothes, hats on, with their husbands, kids in tow, and about everything else you can imagine. I saw very few dressed appropriately for a job interview. It was like they didn't even try

One person who struck out to me, was a man who asked if the hotel was hiring, and I said, we're not, but you're welcome to apply online. He brazenly told me that he hates online because it counts against people "like you and me" (we were both African American), because they see our names and where we are from (he was from the Capitol city of CT, he assumed I was too), and they throw out our applications. I pointed out a new wine store is holding open application/interviews at the hotel. He said "F*ck that they don't want me around alcohol my mouth is too smart for that sh*t), laughed and walked out.
And people wonder why they don't have jobs.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:41 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Sorry to say but judging by the high turnover the problem is likely management, crappy dead end job with low pay or both. I'm unemployed and I agree there are a lot of people living off of benefits not doing anything all day instead of making finding their job a full time job.
I'm not letting management off the hook entirely -- I simultaneously agree that probably 95 percent of companies are not really run well, and a fair number within that 95 percent are probably dead companies walking. I'm not defending management outright, nor am I attacking all workers. But I've had college grads - even masters degree holders - tell me that they're unemployed or that they're underemployed and bugger off and yet I know that we're the only one that's going to offer them the kind of job they say they're after within a 200 mile radius. I'm talking about 30-year old children, basically, who still don't know what they want to do when they grow up. It amazes me - I really had no idea how bad it was and never would have believed it had I not gone back into management after a more than 10 year break.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:45 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
People who are educated and skilled and have been long term unemployed don't act the way you describe.
Those are few and far between. The majority of people that have been long term unemployed are not educated and skilled. Educated and skilled implies they have had serious jobs before; this type of people don't have the attitude as described in the OP.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How might an unskilled worker do that?
You do what ever person on the planet has ever done - acquire skills. Nobody is born with skills, so every person who has them has found them somehow. Most have probably acquired them themselves.

I have mad graphic design skills. I never took a class to learn them. I took entry level jobs, and picked the brains of the more experience designs I worked with. I also practiced, practiced, practiced on my own.

Now, with the world in the web age, I need to acquire web design skills. I watch videos, read blogs and practice, practice, practice on my own.

The one thing you NEVER do is make excuses about why you can't acquire skills. That's a 100% guarantee that you will never get them.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takingcareofme94 View Post
I have unemployed before, even at age 20. I have moved from 9 different jobs since 17, with 1-2 months gaps in employment at times. That said, it's hard finding jobs that you want, but there are plenty jobs that you need. I had have worked in "fast" food (like Boston Market), retail, seasonal, hardware, and in housekeeping before I found a great job in hospitality. I applied to the job last March I believe but I didn't get a call/get hired until December. And the jobs that I had before were all crappy, part-time jobs that didn't bring in much money.

In my opinion, I've seen too many people complain about the jobs they have. I have friends/family members who hate their job but as soon as a new store store opens up, or there are places hiring, they look at it as "ugh, I wouldn't want to do that" or "I don't want to work weekends" or "I wouldn't want to wake up that early/late to get to work", whatever excuse that is in the book. Or they wait until three weeks after the hiring event to apply, or don't call back about their application. Which if you wanted the job, they wouldn't be having so many excuses.

Also, at the hotel I work at, a new wine store held an open hiring event. I can't tell you how many came in leggings, pants sagging, neon colors, hair not done, hoodies, jeans, gym clothes, hats on, with their husbands, kids in tow, and about everything else you can imagine. I saw very few dressed appropriately for a job interview. It was like they didn't even try

One person who struck out to me, was a man who asked if the hotel was hiring, and I said, we're not, but you're welcome to apply online. He brazenly told me that he hates online because it counts against people "like you and me" (we were both African American), because they see our names and where we are from (he was from the Capitol city of CT, he assumed I was too), and they throw out our applications. I pointed out a new wine store is holding open application/interviews at the hotel. He said "F*ck that they don't want me around alcohol my mouth is too smart for that sh*t), laughed and walked out.
And people wonder why they don't have jobs.
Yep, this sums it up. I think a lot of the long-term unemployed/underemployed want people to adapt to them, rather than adapting to meet the expectations of others. I think that's the fundamental problem that I see in some individuals. Lots of entitlement.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You do what ever person on the planet has ever done - acquire skills. Nobody is born with skills, so every person who has them has found them somehow. Most have probably acquired them themselves.

I have mad graphic design skills. I never took a class to learn them. I took entry level jobs, and picked the brains of the more experience designs I worked with. I also practiced, practiced, practiced on my own.

Now, with the world in the web age, I need to acquire web design skills. I watch videos, read blogs and practice, practice, practice on my own.

The one thing you NEVER do is make excuses about why you can't acquire skills. That's a 100% guarantee that you will never get them.
Well said. Indeed, adapt and overcome.

That's why a lot of ex-marines make great employees.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
The fact that you choose to be a faceless name here and rant against "I can say it to anyone who's reading this thread and feeling sorry for themselves for no reason"...that is cowardice. Any faceless, obviously-not-your-real-name rat at ANYBODY here is a cowardly move...SHow yourself and post a video with your name and town aan state and where you work, if you don't want to appear cowardly. {I don't expect you to, but that is the nature of an anonymous word today, Those "worthless employees" prbably have a public self imposed rant about you too.}
Interesting proposal. All the posters that have personally attacked the OP should post videos of themselves. That should be fun. Are you going to jump on the bandwagon? In fact, why don't you go first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment