Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
The OP is funny....he is complaining about the unemployed being lazy and yet he spent so much time on this thread already convincing us that it's "them" not "me"

The OP's job must not be that important since he can afford to spend so much time defending his/her thread
Um no he was defending himself against personal attacks. Blaming the employer doesn't change the fact that the kind of people described in the OP have the wrong attitude toward employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Whenever I Ask people to provide specific evidence of "Millennials" being spoiled or entitled more than any other previous generation all I get I is anecdotal examples

"Well my friends nephew, well that guy who lives down the block from me ehh.."
What kind of specific evidence are you looking for?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
You can try to justify your situation any way you want, but in the end, the problem is not the employees.
The employer alone sets up the dynamic and environment of their business. You might want to reevaluate the nature of your management ideology if you want to lure and retain quality people. They are out there, why can't you pull them in?
We actually do pull in some good employees, and I appreciate them. I'm not necessarily defending the company I work with, either, but even so, the complaints I've had where I work are really no different about complaints I've had almost anywhere. People need perspective, which is lacking these days. I think people are raised to believe that they're entitled to a certain outcome, and when they don't get that outcome by virtue of simply going through rites of passage like completing a very basic college degree, they feel violated. But they shouldn't feel violated; they should adapt.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 AM

26 posts, read 25,053 times
I agree with the OP. Too many of my friends half ass their studies and work search but still expect to have great jobs. I on the other hand spent all my free time refining my resume, perfecting my interview skills, and honing my work ethic so I had a job offer waiting for me after graduation. It's sad the number of entitled people in this country who expect the same treatment as those who bust their ass to get the good jobs.

Everything in life has a cost and a consequence. Learn to take calculated risks and people like the OP won't be of any concern to you. Not everyone can work an office job with great benefits in this country, we do need people to clean toilets and flip burgers.

There is a flip side to this system though and that solely lies with the employer. If you want to retain talent you have to be willing to provide substantial raises or you will lose your best employees to your competitor.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:42 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,125 times
I am with the OP although I think he goes a bit overboard in some of his/her replies.

I made up a slogan years ago: "You write your own prescription".

Old 03-05-2015, 08:46 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolny1 View Post
I agree with the OP. Too many of my friends half ass their studies and work search but still expect to have great jobs. I on the other hand spent all my free time refining my resume, perfecting my interview skills, and honing my work ethic so I had a job offer waiting for me after graduation. It's sad the number of entitled people in this country who expect the same treatment as those who bust their ass to get the good jobs.

Everything in life has a cost and a consequence. Learn to take calculated risks and people like the OP won't be of any concern to you. Not everyone can work an office job with great benefits in this country, we do need people to clean toilets and flip burgers.

There is a flip side to this system though and that solely lies with the employer. If you want to retain talent you have to be willing to provide substantial raises or you will lose your best employees to your competitor.
You know, I have a good friend that fell into this category, although as an adult long into the workforce. She'd been a secretary/admin assistant, then quit to stay home with her kids with her husband's encouragement. Then they got divorced.

As part of the divorce settlement, she got alimony-type payments for four years in order to enable herself to go back to school and get a degree or some other type of training. It was a great chance. She didn't do it. Instead, she got a few admin jobs and got herself fired over and over for incredibly stupid reasons, like changing her records in the electronic timekeeping system from a vacation day she took to make it look as if she was at work that day. Of course the system notified her supervisor, and the supervisor had to fire her--it was company policy for such an infraction.

Then she would sit home and "collect" until the benefits were running out, and then search for a job again. Eventually her alimony payments went away without her having taken advantage of the opportunity to improve herself.

Then the economy took a dive. I remember asking her in July of that year how her job hunt was going, and she said, "Oh, I'm going to take the summer off. I'm still getting unemployment, and I want to enjoy sitting by the pool, so I'll work in September.

September came, and she wasn't even getting interviews. Eventually she took some crappy job that pays about $25K a year, a tough salary to live on in New Jersey. She hasn't ever gotten a raise. She's managed to hang onto her house, but it's visibly falling apart. She is in her fifties now, and one kid is already an adult so the child support she depends on is reduced, and the other one graduates from high school this year. I know she has no savings, and I have no idea how she will survive as the years go on.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm sorry, but as an employer, I've seen the reality. I get people with employment gaps and give them an opportunity to work in a fairly easy work environment, and what do they do? Flake out in week one.

I offer work to the unemployment and they don't return my emails. I offer people work and then they think "OMG, I've not done this before!!!" and flake out and don't come back after two days. I offer people interviews - no response. I guess whatever I'm offering - real work - isn't as attractive as sitting on one's *ss and doing nothing.

Sorry, but if I see another thread about "I've been unemployed for 5 years, what do I do?" I'll have to tell them to stifle it. If you're unemployed for more than a year, you're a loser. Plain and simple. Get over yourself. The world owes you nothing. Get off your duff and get a freakin job. Or starve.
Very unempathetic. What about people who were caring for an elderly family member, or even were themselves disabled? What about stay at home parents? Should they permanently be banished from ever working another day in their life?

The lack of compassion here is disturbing.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Translation: fired.

I'll hire a veteran if they can convince me that they're going to do it *my* way, not theirs. I've got a senior citizen working for me and she's freakin awesome.

Nope, it's not just money; it's work ethic. People from other countries appreciate how hard it is to get into and stay in a society that has as much wealth as ours. Americans born here have no idea. Sorry, you just don't. Not unless you travel some.

Some people need to be bullied. Some people need to be shamed. They grew up in the richest country on earth and they toss away opportunities for money that people worlwide would love to have. They're 100% spoiled brats. Sorry but that's the truth.
You don't know the difference between fired and laid off, or you're just trying to get everybody here stirred up, one of the two. I call trolling.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I have a heart on this because it took me several years after college to get to "the average." Still, a lot of how well you do depends on how you're own grit and drive.

When I graduated in 2010, the economy was still in the dumps, and the area I was in was even worse. I had a decent major (though not the best), worked low wage jobs, and had an internship in the field in college. I did not take on a nationalized job search, and knew nothing about it at the time. Even though I did a lot of the right things, I still failed because the location I was in sucked. It took nearly four years of mostly low-paying work to get to where I would have been had I graduated college in a healthier area or in healthier times.

My doing better now is because I constantly applied for better jobs and moved to another state with no connections and no real plan other than the job. I went from a fairly comfortable personal life to having to start all over. I've had to reinvent my life from scratch. That's tough and not everyone is willing or able to do it. I have an ex-girlfriend who is making minimum wage at a clothing store after graduating last year with a criminal justice degree. She declined a $35k job in Nashville, TN because the cost of living was too much. She didn't really want to sacrifice anything, and remains in the hometown as a low wage employee, constantly complaining.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Very unempathetic. What about people who were caring for an elderly family member, or even were themselves disabled? What about stay at home parents? Should they permanently be banished from ever working another day in their life?

The lack of compassion here is disturbing.
Obviously there are exceptions to anything. There are definitely people like you described, but they make up a small proportion of the long-term unemployed population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment