Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 12:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Some of it is GREED however and these boomers living this lavish lifestyle (Mostly beyond their means) and the only way to continue with their lavish lifestyle is to continue working Ive seen it a million times.

I don' t get the mentality anyways. If you make say 100 grand a year, why live like you make half a million a year? Whats wrong with just living like you make 100 grand a year?? You can still live pretty darn nice

Every time I see a post like this - I just add a year I'm going to work. So right now, I'm planning to work until I'm 237. You'll just have to keep posting things like this while you wait.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:43 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Every time I see a post like this - I just add a year I'm going to work. So right now, I'm planning to work until I'm 237. You'll just have to keep posting things like this while you wait.
If you're still productive, while not keep working? If your employer thinks you're past your time, they can just lay you off.

Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
If you're still productive, while not keep working? If your employer thinks you're past your time, they can just lay you off.
Nope, that would be age discrimination. Besides, aren't there other things older people have on their bucket list? I'll be retiring in a couple of years, and I can't wait, I have so many new things I want to do and I'm running out of time.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Large group

Remember, the youngest boomers just turned 50 last year. The next 15 years or so - you will see changes.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Remember, the youngest boomers just turned 50 last year. The next 15 years or so - you will see changes.
Unfortunately rampant immigration, which has gone on since the 70's, is going to skew the benefit of hitting the downslope of the boomers. Immigrants are creating the next boomer generation (boomers 2.0).

Old 03-07-2015, 01:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
I doubt the boomers are clogging up any hiring channels for career level work.

Once some corporate stiff retires, or gets laid off or whatever, his job isn't going to a millenial, it's just gone forever.

Where I could see it happening is lower level crap jobs, retail, and even certain better paid trades and union work.
There are a lot of unions where someone has got to die before anyone else gets in. Hollywood support staff people (like gaffers), iron workers, pipefitters, longshoremen, teachers, cops, etc. Even dudes who put up drywall and stuff, around here it's like 55 year old white men and then 22 year old mexican dudes.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:43 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I retired four years ago, at age 57, after my husband hit the six-figure income mark. (I figured that someone else needed my job more than I did.) My husband is going to retire at 62, the earliest he can to immediately being receiving social security payments.

We have decent savings and own our home (although we will sell it and downsize to a smaller one soon). I figure that because my husband and I, like everyone else, cannot guarantee how long we will be active and able to enjoy life, we are going to live the life we really want as soon as we can. So, for us and for the workers replacing us, it is a win-win. Someone else will be able to have a nice income, and we will be able to enjoy retirement. (And, yes, we are very much aware that we are very fortunate!)

The only other comment I have to make is that in my husband's field (electrical engineering for gas process systems), they are so desperate to keep the older workers as long as they can (because younger workers don't have the needed experience) that I have heard that some companies will offer very attractive (and tempting) enticements, such as permitting some engineers of retirement age to work part-time hours while retaining their full-time salaries!

Old 03-07-2015, 01:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Nope, that would be age discrimination. Besides, aren't there other things older people have on their bucket list? I'll be retiring in a couple of years, and I can't wait, I have so many new things I want to do and I'm running out of time.
If your productivity is no longer satisfying the company's needs, that's not age discrimination.

Having things to try out that you cannot try because of working is a great reason to retire.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Why are people in their 20-30s seemingly always blaming someone else for their lack of jobs on CD? I had no problems with getting a job in my field after college. Got the job before I even graduated even. So did the rest of my friends. We graduated in 2008-2010, so around time of the market crash. But on CD, instead of actually trying to figure out a way to put what they learned in school to use, they seem to blame people, immigrants at the low end, and boomers at the high end.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
With most jobs not physical anymore, of course, people work at older ages. Plus we are healthier at older ages now- than 20,30,40 years ago- comparable age folks of that era were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment