Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,569,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post

On the other hand, there are those who have a chip on their shoulder because they don't have a degree. Maybe they got that way due to some elitism or classism, but whatever the reason, they need to get over it. Many people won't care or make an issue of a lack of degree if it's not brought up constantly.
Agreed.

The chip on the shoulder is tiresome.

Some people also have a chip on their shoulder because their degree or school is not "prestigious".

I remember my first job out of school, one of my fellow workers asked me what university I went to. I told her, thinking the conversation was over.

Out of the blue, she then launched into a tirade of how she went to a state/less expensive school, but it was just as good as my school, who needs to go to an expensive/prestigious college anyway?, etc.

Who asked? Who cares?
I found it extremely bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:36 AM

457 posts, read 642,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
It becomes a problem if the boss feels insecure and threatened by not having a degree. With a boss like that, they want to make sure you can't take their job and prove themselves smarter then you.

In short, it depends how your boss feels about your level of education and if it makes them threatened.
It seems to me, then, that under those circumstances, had it been up to them, they never would have hired you in the first place. Which is exactly the case most of the time, when hiring managers or "those who would be your supervisors if you got the job" involved in the hiring decision and on the interview "panel" have less education than those they are interviewing for the job.

This is, actually, the scenario whenever I am interviewed for a job by someone less educated than I am.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM

I am reminded of a potential scenario (in states in which judges at certain levels are not required to have law degrees) in which I might be defending myself or arguing my own case in front of a judge who didn't even have a law degree. AWKWARD would be the understatement of the century. This is why I try so hard to fight all my bull**** traffic tickets in order to avoid having to go to court in the first place.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
.. And for those saying they have "no issues with it". You SHOULD have issues with it.. You make an effort to obtain far more formal education getting THOUSANDS Of dollars in debt only to work for high school graduates who have no debt with no formal secular higher education.

You're making probably 30-50 thousand dollars LESS than those above you with only a high school education.

Something is WRONG with that picture.. Sorry but thats the bottom line
YES, there is!!

However, you have to look at the "big picture" of the situations. It's happening all across the country, and seems to be the new "status quo." Neoptism and elitism, favoritism, etc, all play a hand as to why the less educated get into these higher-up positions.

In this age of credit-checking for most jobs in most sectors of employment across the board, I daresay that the "they have no debt and you do" part plays a factor as to why they have the job that you can't get (the hiring manager or the supervisor). Let's take this possibly very real scenario: the manager or floor manager at, say, Wal-Mart, may have nothing but a high school diploma and "worked their way up the ranks" (or "knew somebody") while the shelf-stocking crew has several or even "many" former public school teachers (who all have at least Master's degrees and state licensure which includes having had to clear a background fingerprint check through the FBI). Now that is not necessarily a "fair" scenario to use as example because of the situation of public school teachers these days at least in certain areas and certain parts of the country, in which being a forklift operator at Wal-Mart is safer than setting foot in some of these public high schools as the teacher. It is also probably a little bit inaccurate because in this day and age of credit-checking for employment, most retail sector employers check credit and being drowning in student loan debt from college gets your application trashed.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:18 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,574,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
As in many professions 90% of people in those professions have a degree of one sort or another.

As a person with at least a bachelors degree in something, How has it been working for someone without one?

What was your experience?
Did they act as professionals?
Good grief! Has the OP never heard of McDonald's? There are thousands of people with degrees such as art appreciation, anthropology, social studies and women's studies working at McDonald's. The night crew leader could still be in high school.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,310,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
.. And for those saying they have "no issues with it". You SHOULD have issues with it.. You make an effort to obtain far more formal education getting THOUSANDS Of dollars in debt only to work for high school graduates who have no debt with no formal secular higher education.

You're making probably 30-50 thousand dollars LESS than those above you with only a high school education.

Something is WRONG with that picture.. Sorry but thats the bottom line
And here you have the perfect example of entitlement.

You think you are entitled to respect and a high paying job because you got a degree? Get real. People obtain respect and a high paying job because they're good at what they do.

I don't know where you work, but where I work, the subject of schooling rarely comes up. With the exception of interns and a few people who get talked about due to their behavior, I wouldn't know who at my job has a degree or doesn't. But I definitely know who at my job is worth a shi..t and who isn't!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,047,345 times
I worked with a few people who were threatened by my having more education than them, and it really sucked to be in my position because I was a temp. One girl 'accidentally' let me see her hourly wage - she got $10/hour MORE than I did. I was working on my Master's during this time and she had an associate's degree from a low tier college. It made me feel like crap, but, I'm now on to bigger and better things.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,396,077 times
Only frustrating if the boss feels the need to constantly justify why its ok to not have one. Its kinda sad when people do this. Its just as bad as the Univ of Phoenix grads walking around trying to remind you that its a good school.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,138,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
A college degree essentially says I have just enough willpower to do a bunch of useless work so you can count on me to have enough willpower to be a total drone for your company and do a bunch of crap i cant stand. History's greatest and most successful people got to where they were despite their college degree, not because of.
4 years of a potentially valuable life experience is not lost on the successful.

of course one can be successful despite not having such an opportunity.

i don't agree with your use of the word "despite".

Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,082,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Agreed.

The chip on the shoulder is tiresome.

Some people also have a chip on their shoulder because their degree or school is not "prestigious".

I remember my first job out of school, one of my fellow workers asked me what university I went to. I told her, thinking the conversation was over.

Out of the blue, she then launched into a tirade of how she went to a state/less expensive school, but it was just as good as my school, who needs to go to an expensive/prestigious college anyway?, etc.

Who asked? Who cares?
I found it extremely bizarre.
Yeah. No one should be defensive; it's silly. What you are capable of should be the highest importance, nothing else but that.

I'm reminded of a time when some guy I'd just met was seemingly very impressed with my skills and what I was able to do. He complimented me, then proceeded to grill me on my educational background, my degree (or lack thereof), and so forth. He gave a disapproving frown when it turned out that I didn't have a sufficiently impressive pedigree.

Hey, wait a minute, dude! You were just a moment ago all agog at how good I was at what I did! What changed? I'm that same person! If I had told you I had gotten the "right" degree at the "right" school, you would have believed me, wouldn't you? Apparently I'm good enough to "pass" with you. Why isn't that good enough? Why am I suddenly being looked at like I'm less than I was before? That makes no freaking sense!

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be where I am without my education. I'm proud of the education I have. But it's more what you make of it. I'd rather have the abilities and skills I have, with my less-than-impressive pedigree, than to have the "best" pedigree but with fewer skills. Believe me, I've met people like that. They have the piece of paper, but that's all they have. They aren't even barely competent. Never in a million years would I want to trade places with them. They can't do anything!

Furthermore, I'd rather have NO formal education whatsoever if I could get more skills and abilities. The proof of my capabilities are in what I actually do, bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment