Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 05:15 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,266,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Not your problem, unless she directly affects your work.
If they are working from a backlog and one person is constantly absent, how does it NOT affect the OP's work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Give me a break. My suggestion wasn't that bad. It allows the OP to mind his/her own business and makes the supervisor accountable for the absent employee. I didn't get the impression that the 2 coworkers are a "team." To me it sounds like they have different duties, somewhat. The OP shouldn't have to cover for the absent coworker this often, at least not without some kind of explanation. I know there are privacy rules, but if the coworker is really on some kind of sporadic approved leave, someone should have let the OP know how to handle things in her absence. That would have been a "team player" thing to do.
Thank you. Why is the onus of being a team player and showing respect only on the OP? There are two of them in the office - both of them should display those qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe she's on a flexible FMLA with them and can take time off as needed according to the FMLA agreement.
When is car trouble covered under the FMLA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I see no one that is in agreement with what the coworker is doing. Not a single person.

That has nothing to do with our advice.
But you are telling the OP that she is wrong, and I don't think she is. She has every right to be upset if she is expected to do her work and the OP's when the OP is out.

She even tried speaking to the co-worker and was blown off.

Are you seriously holding an employee who has been there four months to the same standard as an employee who has been there 14 years?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 05:44 AM

6,572 posts, read 11,244,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Well, everyone here seems to be in agreement with what the co-worker is doing.

I guess if you have never been on the receiving end, you wouldn't get it.

There is a backlog of work, and everyone acts as if the co-worker's absence has no effect on the OP. It does. She is only one person - and she is new.

IMO it is her business, and she has every right to be upset about it.
This isn't about agreeing with the OP or the co-worker. Nor do the suggestions against the OP saying anything mean one is agreeing with the co-worker. Those that are suggesting against saying anything is likely because the problem is not going to be solved that way (and may create more problems for the OP).

IMO - either the co-worker is dealing with some tough personal issues (which the OP isn't privy to), or they are just worthless. In either case, how the employer handles it is really out of OP's hands. The OP seems to be more fixated on the fact that the co-worker is "getting away" from working. I get the frustration, (and she has every right to) but it's not exactly helpful nor does it solve the OP's problem. Right now, the OP's real problem is being able to do their job. Thus, you can look for other resources to learn the ropes, or if the OP really believes the company is not worth working for, look for another job.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:08 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,199,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Why do employers/supervisors always allow such lazy sacks of **** to stay employed?
Because they have a great personality? Personality does trump all nowadays.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:10 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,758,015 times
Quote:
If they are working from a backlog and one person is constantly absent, how does it NOT affect the OP's work?

Thank you. Why is the onus of being a team player and showing respect only on the OP? There are two of them in the office - both of them should display those qualities.

When is car trouble covered under the FMLA?

But you are telling the OP that she is wrong, and I don't think she is. She has every right to be upset if she is expected to do her work and the OP's when the OP is out.

Are you seriously holding an employee who has been there four months to the same standard as an employee who has been there 14 years?
Because responding can do more harm than good. The OP should ask for help if they need help. Mentioning the other worker usually backfires.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:57 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,925,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
are you her boss/supervisor?

If the answer is no, then your answer is no.
+1. Myob, op.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM

34,971 posts, read 31,128,131 times
Do you have any idea whether the supervisor assumes she is at work or not? If the supervisor is under the assumption that the employee is there when she isn't, it's effectively fraud as she's getting paid for time not worked.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,866,078 times
Quote:

No, I'm not telling her she is wrong to be upset. She can be upset all she wants to.

And no, I'm not holding either employee to anything. That isn't my job. And it isn't yours. It isn't our business at all.

Just like her coworkers work patterns and absence patterns aren't this individuals job to be concerned about. If you're not someone's supervisor, you don't get involved by tattling to the higher ups.

There are ways to get what you need to do your job better (as people have explained) WITHOUT being a complainer. That is not smart. That is actually stupd.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,561,101 times
Mochamajesty, you're approaching this from the wrong angle. The OP asked if she should take a specific action. Our goal is to give her advice that will help her and not put her job in jeopardy.

If you want to draw a line in the sand and register a complaint in your workplace, that's your choice, but most of us know the end result is going to be a negative for the person who is complaining.

For those of us who have seen this firsthand, it would be irresponsible to advise her the way you think we should.

Does she want to complain or does she want to keep her job?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM

5,329 posts, read 8,523,033 times
I agree with those who said you need to approach your direct manager and ask him/her to advise you on how he/she wants you to manage your workload in light of your co-worker's absence. Do not sound like you are complaining. Focus on your job and your responsibilities. It is your manager's job to guide you and to be aware of any and all factors that are affecting your ability to perform your responsibilities. By explaining these without blame, you end up looking like a responsible employee.

If you do the above, and after some period of time you find you are not getting support and guidance from your manager, then you should assume that you are working somewhere that has poor management, and decide how much time you wish to invest in such an organization.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM

579 posts, read 520,199 times
Ask your direct manager if it would be appropriate to call your co-worker at home on those occasions that you do not have the appropriate answer to certain situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment