U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:59 PM

177 posts, read 519,077 times
Default do you think every one should get 4 weeks vacation by law

do you think every one should get 4 weeks vacation by law. How much vacation do you get from your job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM

717 posts, read 2,682,887 times
I think you should but only if it is paid. People cant afford to take vacation if it isnt paid.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:12 PM

16,249 posts, read 10,494,067 times
The law should require all employers to give employees a certain pool of days off every year. This would include all major holidays (New Years Day, Labour Day, July 4th, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving day (maybe), Chirstmas Day and the day after Christmas day (maybe). In the case of retail or other places that require work on holidays, the law should require that employees that work the day be paid either triple time or double time with another day off. In addition to the holidays employees should be given a set number of days off (sick and vacation combined) according the number of years of service:
0-2 years 10 days a year
2 to 7 years 15 days a year
7 to 15 years 20 days a year
20+ years 25 days a year

Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,448,285 times
Tad out of date, but still interesting article: The Shrinking American Vacation: Stress, Absenteeism, And Overtime

Keep in mind that there are many other variables in the mix when comparing US and other countries' vacation allotments - taxes, wages, etc. All that needs to be considered.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM

788 posts, read 1,225,804 times
Exclamation Uhhhh, No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
do you think every one should get 4 weeks vacation by law. How much vacation do you get from your job
Captnemo,

Good question. Personally, I don't that everyone should get 4 weeks by law. I've worked with a lot of people in my life that didn't deserve it. These people are already taking too much time off, whether they be whole days or partial days.

What they're doing is putting a heavier workload on those that are always there, and that's not right. Unless of course the employee that carried the extra load got extra compensation from the absent employees pay. Maybe that'd keep them working.

This is an extremely sore subject with me, and I'd better hush now before I really get riled (sp) up.

If they were to pass a law for everyone to get 4 weeks off per year, I'd like to see it as all 'Comp' time, or 1/2 Comp and 1/2 Vacation. Mainly, because I don't have much use for 'Sick' time, but there are other reasons I might need a day or two off, and I don't want to be told that I can't use the time because it isn't 'medical' related.

Still, I think if someone were to get that much time, they should EARN it, not have it given to them. Because after all, time off, (other than legal holidays) is a privilage, not a right. They don't have to give you any time if they don't want to. Ok, I'm getting riled.....better get whilst the gettin's good.

That's My 2 Cents,
Boof

Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 PM

5,045 posts, read 9,291,771 times
German Auto Workers get up to 6 weeks a year paid vacation. Guess who pays for that when you buy a German made auto.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:59 PM

47,955 posts, read 43,402,587 times
yes they should........

Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 AM

3,468 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
German Auto Workers get up to 6 weeks a year paid vacation. Guess who pays for that when you buy a German made auto.

Actually, the cost is not passed on to the consumer. In the UK we have a minimum 4 weeks vacation, with most getting 5. This is taken into account by employers and built in to your salary/wage. There are ALWAYS people at my work on vacation, and so the norm is that there is no slack to pick up.. thats just how it is. If you need to spend extra on people to cover anything, then this is built into most companies pay budgets.

End products are competatively priced with or without vacation allowances.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 AM

203 posts, read 577,871 times
Default Yes.......and more please

WORK - Weary Overload Recreational Killer

.......YES! Big time! Work su*ks and in my opinion 4 weeks isnt enough. Work yourself to death people, have fun at your job or whatever.............to me, it's a means to an end............gimme gimme money! I'll do the job, no problem, but work stays at work..........touch my vacation time?!.........now we're talkin Justifiable Homicide!LOL

Old 01-13-2008, 02:53 PM

943 posts, read 2,243,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Yes, I think we should get it.. but not allowed to take more then 1 week at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment