Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 07:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
The big 4 is completely overrated for new accounting graduates. People feel like if they can't get into a top accounting firm, their degree is useless, and that is completely untrue. If you get a gig at a big 4, good for you, but also be prepared to be overworked for way less money than you think you will be making or deserve, with VERY little work-life balance.

People with accounting degrees are usually held in higher regard than any other business majors and it opens many doors to climb up the ladder in big corporations.

One girl who works on my team graduated college with a Psychology degree, has a Masters in Accounting, and a CPA. She is currently a tax anaylst at my company (largest energy corporation in the country) making really good money.

We have other analysts, accountants, and auditors at my company who came from a big 4 and told us what a nightmare it was.

To answer the main question, yes, if you don't graduate in Accounting, but get a Masters and a CPA, you can certainly get a good job in the field.
This is a pretty general statement honestly. It depends on your goals. If you want to work in tax or at a smaller company then this is true. If, however you want to work at a large company then you will be constantly asked at interviews which big 4 you worked for. I didnt work at a big 4 but I got lucky and got my first job at a Fortune 10 so that alone raises eyebrows on my resume (for the better). The big 4 sucks, everyone knows that. But its the "right of passage" just like other fields have their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 05:51 AM

306 posts, read 517,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
If, however you want to work at a large company then you will be constantly asked at interviews which big 4 you worked for. I didnt work at a big 4 but I got lucky and got my first job at a Fortune 10 so that alone raises eyebrows on my resume (for the better). The big 4 sucks, everyone knows that. But its the "right of passage" just like other fields have their own.
That's not entirely true. It may be harder to work for a large and prestigious corporation without any experience, but it is certainly possible.

If you have decent grades, and some experience (even if at a smaller company) then you can certainly get a position at a large corporation in one of the many accounting functions. I didn't work for the big 4, but I am currently at one of the largest corporation's in the country working alongside many people who came from a big 4.

It may be a little bit more difficult, but definitely possible.

I was just trying to illustrate that Big 4 isn't the ONLY route to be successful, but you are right, it is definitely a "right of passage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment