Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times

Advertisements

Your boss brought in a temp and you never used the temp so he let the temp go.

That is on you. You spoke with your boss about a problem, he accommodated you and you did not take advantage of it. You let the temp enter into a social club with the problem employee instead of tasking them. I know you are going to say that the temp was working with the problem employee but if they were talking all day how much work were they doing?

Your boss gave you a chance to be a leader. I think your boss values you and I doubt he would have brought in a temp for the other employee.

But because of the situation you are in now you should do YOUR work first. Do your work, focus on your work and if you have time help out the Phantom Employee.

Also if you know the person is going to be out sick call in sick that day as well. Then you can see what happens to the work when you are not there. Chances are it just waits until the Phantom Employee gets back into the office with no problem. If there is a problem that is not on you.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 03:09 PM

186 posts, read 238,788 times
move4ward is correct. You can't continously pick other peopls slack. Let the other co-workers see that there is work that isn't being done if you're not there.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,860 times
They’re my supervisors orders. If I had a choice not to do her work, of course I wouldn’t. But when she’s not in, my boss will come to my desk and tell me to start doing her work or if he’s not in yet, I’ll get an email about it.

As for the temp, I’d ask her for help and she kept saying “Ok, let me just finish training with _____” and then they’d continue chatting away. When my boss asked me if she was helping, I’d say no. I’d go to him when I’d ask her for help and she’d ignore me. He’d talk to her and she’d help but the next day it was the same thing all over again. So she pretty much got herself fired.

I want to move to another city and I have been getting a lot of interviews but traveling 7 hours is exhausting and it isn’t cheap either!! Last month, I took a day off for an interview but didn’t take the job because the pay wasn’t worth it. (I was making almost double where Im at right now and COL is more over there)

Old 03-12-2015, 04:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If they get you quit it saves them from paying you unemployment.
Actually the company doesn't pay your unemployment. Your unemployment money comes from the government. They collect this from business taxes. so, part of the taxes that your company pays goes into the government's unemployment fund. They pay this tax regardless of whether you are employed or not.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:02 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Actually the company doesn't pay your unemployment. Your unemployment money comes from the government. They collect this from business taxes. so, part of the taxes that your company pays goes into the government's unemployment fund. They pay this tax regardless of whether you are employed or not.
That employer's unemployment tax rate is based on claim history.

Don in Austin

Old 03-12-2015, 08:05 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost View Post
I'm looking at it from the other side. There's an old saying: "The reward for hard work, is more hard work." Maybe he sees you as a high value employee. I don't know how old you are, but I've noticed that many times, young people are not prepared for the rigors and pressure of a busy work environment. They also seem to require praise when they complete tasks, which i seldom give. They then feel like they are unappreciated. Your paycheck is your praise. Being denied time off, barring an emergency of some sort, is irrelevant. Your boss may not be able to spare you.
...Meanwhile the ones not doing their job, calling in frequently, etc., are not only also getting paid and get time off, and sometimes even coveted positions. Once you "set the standard," you'll have to maintain it, because they easily take all that you do for granted. The worst part is, if/once you "slip", you'd be surprised how quickly they drop you like a hot potato...and you'll wonder why you put in so much time and energy for those who really have little regard for you. Don't continually make it easy for others to be lazy by overdoing it; while they benefit from you, it'll eventually lead to your resentment and burnout.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:21 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
...Meanwhile the ones not doing their job, calling in frequently, etc., are not only also getting paid and get time off, and sometimes even coveted positions. Once you "set the standard," you'll have to maintain it, because they easily take all that you do for granted. The worst part is, if/once you "slip", you'd be surprised how quickly they drop you like a hot potato...and you'll wonder why you put in so much time and energy for those who really have little regard for you. Don't continually make it easy for others to be lazy by overdoing it; while they benefit from you, it'll eventually lead to your resentment and burnout.
This pretty much sums it up.
TBH, no, they are not trying to fire you. They are just piling the work on you because you'll do it. However, once you get overwhelmed and slip up, you will be fired. You will also get fired if you now complain about your workload. Unfortunately, it is likely already too late for you to do anything about your situation besides try to find another job.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
This is corporate america today folks. Scumbag POS employers. Always looking for loopholes to railroad their best employees . They should all just ***ing ROT!!! The ones that go far above an beyond the call of duty are taken advantage of, taken for granted, chewed up, burned out, spat out and one little error they're let go.. while the lazy useless ****** that sit in the boss' office and brown-nose have a job for life

Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
in a union job none of this would be tolerated..........or allowed to continue.......

Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
OP, why not answer the questions I raised? Is it because you've chosen to work overtime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment