Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 03:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
So I'm about to start my first overnight job in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone here has (or is currently) working the late shift?

With large school loans (~$40k), no savings (well, ~$400/mo going into an IRA, but it's not liquid), and costs in the future that aren't inexpensive (engagement ring, wedding, etc), I've decided to step up my income with a second job.

In addition to my day job (software programmer) which is a M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM, I'm starting a help desk position M-Th 10PM-8AM. Any advice on how to cope with the long hours, and keep my relationships from falling apart?

Minimally, I'm looking to keep it for at least a year, if I can manage for 3 years, I'll have my loans completely paid off (2 years of work for those) and another year for an emergency fund, engagement ring and wedding. However, not necessarily in that order. What's the longest period of time you've continuously worked 80 hours/wk?
Thats way to many hours, your body and brain will crash, your looking at a couple hours of sleep at the best for 4 days, you better re-think that one.
I'm telling you thats dangerous, I have worked rotating shift work for over 30 years, I work 12 hour shifts and believe me a 10 hour night followed by a 8 hour day is a bad deal, lack of sleep is dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 AM

672 posts, read 2,124,910 times
I work in the chemistry/environmental dept. for an electroplating company. It is not uncommon for me to work 12 hour shifts for a month at a time. In fact, right now, I am working from 7pm til 7am. But I plan to be married later this year, and I am going to change my schedule after I'm married. I have too many friends who were married to their jobs, and wound up divorced. It's not worth it in my opinion. You and your girlfriend need more time together than your plans will allow, at least thats what I believe. You two have the rest of your lives to pay off bills, and save money. JMO

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
You might want to spend that time learning more current technology instead of working a second job. I still think you are shortchanging yourself. My first job paid 30k too.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You might want to spend that time learning more current technology instead of working a second job. I still think you are shortchanging yourself. My first job paid 30k too.
Don't most companies look for some sort of proven experience (preferrably as job experience, but some can be alright with academic experience)?

I guess another one of my issues is that talking about salary is so taboo that it's nearly impossible to come up with a reasonable estimate of what I should be making (and what I could be making down the line, at least among my current co-workers).

Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Don't most companies look for some sort of proven experience (preferrably as job experience, but some can be alright with academic experience)?

I guess another one of my issues is that talking about salary is so taboo that it's nearly impossible to come up with a reasonable estimate of what I should be making (and what I could be making down the line, at least among my current co-workers).
It all depends on where you are.

In a small city with a small talent pool and a small job market, the best-paid software engineer might only make 50k.

In a big city with a big talent pool, you can make 100k++

You need to get into the mindset of taking a job with a low salary today, improving your skills on your own time (join or start an open source project, for example) and then moving up the food chain. Getting into a better job market is a good plan.

If I were you, I would stay where I am for one year at most, getting as much experience as I possibly could. Fight for better projects and more training if you can get it. In a year, re-evaluate your situation and look into moving to a bigger market with more opportunity.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
Keep your weekends free of work, you need that time to unwind and do normal things(family - friends) otherwise you'll get burned out quick and won't be working anywhere. It takes it's toll, believe me, no matter what your age..I did it and that nightshift alone does a number on your health. Eat right and get all the sleep you can. Take vitamins maybe.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
When I was fresh out of college, I did an 80+ hour per week two job schedule for three years ... MonFri, daytime teaching at a votech, WedsMon, a tech, 2nd shift nights and with a lot of mandatory overtime.

It was a difficult schedule, because I had no real "weekend" off from either job due to the different days off. Getting adequate sleep was almost impossible. It was physically and mentally exhausting to do this, and I couldn't do it after a few years .... nor did I want to. But with a new family, I needed the income to be able to afford a decent house and living standard.

Ultimately, I found a single full-time job that allowed me to work only that and allowed me to start my own business to supplement my income as needed. A few years later, my own business reached a sales volume where I could "afford" to do it full time. However, I quickly found that taking the business to a larger scale required yet again a lot of hours each week ... and I quickly went back to a 60+ hour/week schedule, sometimes 70+ hours.

I know it can be done, and I know that the financial needs presented at the time can be a big motivator to do so.

The only person who can answer whether or not it's worth it to you to spend your time this way is you. If you can balance your work with your personal time, with an eye toward your ultimate work/income goals ... it may be worth the "sacrifice" at this time. You must be very careful to preserve your good physical and mental health.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile 80 plus work weeks

Well, here I am. Thirty years later - still working hard. Always had labor intensive type jobs. Being self employed, you don't have to answer to anyone (but customers!!!) but it does come with long hours!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I worked up to three jobs at a time before I was married. That about killed me. Ended up wrecking my old Chevy Luv pickup. Worked full time at a home improvement store that is now no longer in business, tossed papers for the LA times and worked at a Stop N Go. After getting married I realized that life wasn't for me. I did end up learning a trade as a Locksmith and that has brought me to my present situation running the locksmith shop for a healthcare system. Also did the unthinkable, I went to school and completed my Bachelors and will soon have my Masters. If you think working 2 jobs is fun, try going to school while working full time and having a family. That is a blast.

I say get a good education and build your reputation within the carreer you have chosen. Eventually the income will compensate for the loss of the second job. It also helps when you love your job.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,059 times
Already have the 'good' education (a BS in Software Engineering). Reputation and skills are still tough to build though, constantly searching for the next best position (I've been at my current job for 2 years).

So I'm now working 80+ hours per week, with weekends completely off. Now I just have to figure out something to do with myself since I'm completely alone in the office for 10 hours a night...

So far, so good. I'm not getting a huge amount of sleep, but it's not completely inadequate either. Still manage to find time to go to the gym, and have a fair bit of time left for my girlfriend and family... Maybe I'm just weird and don't need much in the way of sleep.

Ah well, back to parading around the office singing Sinatra...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment