Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:49 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I work in an office environment where one person uses a lot of foul language. This has rubbed off on me and the other employees, and now we're all constantly cussing too. I'll sometimes go home and start cussing in front of my girlfriend, or cuss in public, when I probably wouldn't have before. We use more foul language than anywhere I've ever worked, probably all combined.

Is there a lot of foul language in your workplace? How do you react to it? Do you view it as unprofessional?
I once worked at an NYC investment bank and the analysts were notorious for being foul-mouthed during the work day. It was laughed off as being something that came with the job.

I view it as unprofessional.

In my current place of employment, cursing is frowned upon. The harshest word I've heard was d@mn, and even then it was in a private meeting in which someone was venting and very visibly upset about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:25 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
It's been prevalent at every corporate job I've had in 4 different states. (Illinois, Texas, Utah, California)

Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,160 times
Even if its commonly used in your workplace, its better to avoid it. Once you're used to it, you may find yourself inadvertently saying something you shouldn't when away from the job, at the wrong time and place, and to the wrong person. Its possible to speak forcefully and assertively without using obscenities.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:41 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
not too much swearing, although one of the property managers swear a lot. I don't swear much at my day job.

at my night job though, I swear all the time when customers aren't around even though I don't hear a lot of my co-workers doing it a lot. I hate my night job and I just don't give a ****. the managers & supervisors are overbearing and constantly have their heads up their *****

Old 03-13-2015, 01:45 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I only curse under my breath if no one's around. Sometimes people will let out a small curse word here and there, but not that much. I think it can become a bad habit and unprofessional. Easier said than done, some days I'd like to stand in the middle of the hall and scream expletives half the day!

Old 03-13-2015, 07:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Turkey! Duck! Goose! Pheasant! Oh, sorry for using fowl language.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:59 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I once worked at an NYC investment bank and the analysts were notorious for being foul-mouthed during the work day. It was laughed off as being something that came with the job.

I view it as unprofessional.

In my current place of employment, cursing is frowned upon. The harshest word I've heard was d@mn, and even then it was in a private meeting in which someone was venting and very visibly upset about something.
This is an environment that deals with a lot of NYC people in the investment industry. I've never worked in this kind of environment, but do think it's part of the NYC/finance culture.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 PM

152 posts, read 208,864 times
I was first impressions expert or marketing in several jobs, we don't say it loudly or often. Grace and patience are best tools to keep customers calm.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
At my previous internship, the managing director dropped f-bombs virtually every other sentence...but damned if anyone else dared to utter a curse word. It was hypocritical to the max.

At my current place, which is much better, I haven't ever heard management utter a curse word. Some of the employees do, but it's uncommon.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
My workplace is pretty well managed and the staff are all professional and we have high morale in the office. There's no cussing in the office, which I am thankful for. I have worked at places where cussing was the norm, I just ignored them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment