Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:27 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm still interested in starting a tutoring business to supplement both my job at the community center and my substitute teaching gig. I've already tried to apply with a tutoring center; most of them are too far away, get infrequent calls, have a schedule that conflicts with mine, or are not hiring new applicants. Online tutoring centers are an option, but I think I do better working with clients in person face-to-face, because I'm not familiar with the software used to facilitate online tutoring sessions (for instance, if I'm showing the client how to write, I don't want to just correspond with Skype chat or email. I would like to be able to show the client a full word processing document in real time. I would also like to be able to show the client the math problems in real time, etc.) I can teach pretty well. I just need to work on what people call my "confidence." (Really, I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, so there's probably a little more than lack of confidence at work here. It hardly ever affects my ability to work well with a person one-on-one, though. I just can't "engage" or do the near stage performance some others can do, although I probably could do so if I practiced.) I also have a commitment to that community center for a few months, so I'm not looking to go overseas right now.

Anyway, here are my questions:

Where can I advertise to actually get clients? So far, I've been advertising on Craigslist, and I've gotten few to no bites. I thought about the library, but I was informed that I could not advertise paid services there.

How can I set myself apart from other tutoring services? We have a lot of people, mostly experienced teachers, doing this.

What are some things I could do to provide a service that will keep my clients coming back and will cause them to refer more people to me?

Note:

This question is probably very similar to the ones I've asked earlier, but I did not get the information I was looking for, so I'm posting hoping to get fresh ideas and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

Actually,

At this point, I would even settle for something unrelated to teaching:
  • housesitting, pet sitting, babysitting, etc.
  • lawn care
  • house cleaning
  • driving
Again, though, I haven't been able to find people who need this done.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Many tutors are not part of a service or an agency, they are independent.

Contact local schools and ask about getting on a list of tutors they recommend to parents. In my area, math tutors are in high demand because there are so few and they are typically booked solid. Most tutor reading and writing, so if you could be a math tutor that would increase your chances of obtaining clients and charging a premium. If you're on a sub list, you already have an "in" with the schools.

If there are any community centers or recreation centers (basically anyplace where parents and their kids go), ask if they have a bulletin board where you can post a flyer.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Many tutors are not part of a service or an agency, they are independent.

Contact local schools and ask about getting on a list of tutors they recommend to parents. In my area, math tutors are in high demand because there are so few and they are typically booked solid. Most tutor reading and writing, so if you could be a math tutor that would increase your chances of obtaining clients and charging a premium. If you're on a sub list, you already have an "in" with the schools.

If there are any community centers or recreation centers (basically anyplace where parents and their kids go), ask if they have a bulletin board where you can post a flyer.
Well, I suppose I could send them an email, but I'm almost positive they would reject me. The schools in this area are a bit hung up on "maintaining the health and safety" of their students; there are special requirements to become a tutor for them, and I think the parents have to hire any outside tutoring themselves. Parents are more likely to take a voucher to one of the established tutoring services, like Kumon or Sylvan, and not consider a relatively unknown service they would have to pay for.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 886,970 times

I had told you this in one of your earlier threads, but obviously you didn't pay attention (as usual) and so you come back with the same questions over and over.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post

I had told you this in one of your earlier threads, but obviously you didn't pay attention (as usual) and so you come back with the same questions over and over.
Wyzant charges a fee, I believe. I think I tried it before, but I guess I can try again.

I guess I'll try again, but I don't think I got any students last time.

Last edited by krmb; 03-16-2015 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM
mzd

No they do not.

They take a cut of your fees, if you have students.

No students = no fees = Wyzant does not get anything.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzd View Post
No they do not.

They take a cut of your fees, if you have students.

No students = no fees = Wyzant does not get anything.
You are right. WyzAnt just takes a 50 percent cut of my profits. That's a fair amount for advertising, really. Plus, I don't have to keep using the service after I have a substantial customer base. I've signed up and am giving them a try.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:43 PM
mzd

They don't take "50% of your profits". I suggest you read the terms on Wyzant's FAQ more carefully.

If you have tutored fewer than 20 hrs, they take 40% of your tutoring fees (you set your own fees). They have a sliding scale, and the more hours you tutor the lower their %. Their take goes down to 20% once you exceed 400 hrs.

How it works for tutors | WyzAnt Tutoring
Click on "How do I get paid?"

Old 03-21-2015, 05:59 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Have you considered contacting a local homeschooling group? I have a friend who is a math tutor and she makes pretty good money tutoring a group of homeschoolers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment