Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times

Advertisements

Tale of two Americas: It’s not all about race | New York Post

This is spot on. Decades ago, lower income parents stressed their kids getting more education, in order to compete effectively in the USA. Today that only seems true of parents who have been successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:39 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
It's a term I call "class stagnation". Without adequate opportunities for folks from all walks of life, people get stuck in a predetermined social ladder... The one their parents deposited them in.

Opportunities of the past... Show up, work hard, be useful and keep your middle income job. You could start on the bottom and work your way up.

Today... Jobs are basically short term arrangements. Company needs labor, you need food. The relationship ends there. Workers don't stay at one place due to instability in the economy, intense competition leading to most consolidations, takeovers, bankruptcies, etc.

Opportunities are in short supply. People are actively selling themselves short in order to obtain one of those prized meal tickets. Lots of meat left on the table since workers have no way to demand more. Supply and demand. Companies judge candidates by age, race, education, gender, etc. It helps if you're a good salesman.

That's when you know the country is finished... It's the ones full of hot air getting the jobs in many cases.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Excellent article and spot on!!

I have said it over and over and over again -- I would much rather live next to a darker-skinned middle-class family (of whatever race or ancestry) than I would next to a Caucasian family who has "been on welfare" for several generations.

To me, "class" is what's important, not the color of one's skin!

Old 03-18-2015, 10:25 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
So let me get this straight. Can we not consider both class and race as potential issues in American society? Are we allowed to only hold one idea in our heads?

Old 03-18-2015, 05:42 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
The point, Adhom, is only one, race, is getting attention. But todays poor do not do the stuff the poor decades ago did to insure their kids would do better than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment