Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:38 PM

469 posts, read 637,149 times

Advertisements

I hate when managers, executives or owners say " Because I am the Executive Director" (and you are a peon) like we didn't know. Insecure much!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 03:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Its done. find something new, and move on. Odds are you wnt be at any job more then a few years. Thats the new normal.

My current record is a 10 year stretch....that ended when the company went into its third round of layoffs in the last recession.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNlogol View Post
I worked at an after school program. I loved this job, it was a real pleasure working with children. Today, my manager told me that I was fired. He said I looked bored, and left my assigned group (you have 2 or 3 assigned groups with children) working at least 3 times. He never gave me a warning before, he just kicked me out on the spot. On Tuesday, I was trying to go to the bathroom and left my spot. The thing is, many coworkers do this regularly and I TOLD HIM he was singling me out. This is true. Also, he told me that since it is an after school program, he is the one responsible for hiring, firing and making all decisions since he is an executive director. I told him that there must be someone else that i can talk to about the issue, but he told me that he does not work for the principal. Noone is above him? Is he right? My head is boiling right now.
Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean you should. If you really had to use the bathroom, you should have asked first.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM

46 posts, read 59,031 times
What do you mean i wont be at a job? why? no place would hire me? its not like it is going to stay on my record

Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Probably some parents got mad at having their kids left unattended, supervisor got in trouble from parent and wanted a scape goat...

Best to just move on, not much you can do in this case anyhow unless you can appeal to the school directly but that shouldn't do much because they don't oversee the program but if you made enough parents feel sorry for you, they might force the school to put pressure on him to rehire you, but you'd be on his bad side and at next chance, you'd still be out of a job

Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM

685 posts, read 720,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Probably some parents got mad at having their kids left unattended, supervisor got in trouble from parent and wanted a scape goat...

Best to just move on, not much you can do in this case anyhow unless you can appeal to the school directly but that shouldn't do much because they don't oversee the program but if you made enough parents feel sorry for you, they might force the school to put pressure on him to rehire you, but you'd be on his bad side and at next chance, you'd still be out of a job
Could easily be the case. Sounds like corporate America to me.

I read all the posts and I agreed with each one to one degree or another. The OP should have told someone she/he was leaving the room for a brief period of time. You don't have a leg to stand on because, unless you didn't mention something, there wasn't any sort of discrimination based on the laws of where you work (unless I'm missing something).

I'd scream a bit (if need be) but move on and up and chalk it up to another lesson learned.

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:01 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNlogol View Post
What do you mean i wont be at a job? why? no place would hire me? its not like it is going to stay on my record
he just meant it's likely no job you have will last very long.

the average job length these days is only 4 years.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 PM

this just occured to me, i dont know why i did not mention it, all my coworkers are females, i am the only male. Can i file for sexual discrimination? My boss is a male. Then i have a chance, cause as far as I know it is ILLEGAL to discriminate based on SEX

Old 03-19-2015, 09:28 PM

ok that last question i posted above is key guys

Old 03-19-2015, 09:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Gender by itself is not indicative of anything.

Move on. This was not the last job on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment