Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times

Advertisements

Many people in Right to Work states feel they can never take a day off. I was hospitalized with a bad infection in my upper GI tract and had to be put in IV's due to dehydration, and my boss said I was fired if I didn't come in. Well I couldn't come in because I was in a hospital bed, but I took the notes to work and he just 'lectured' me about how in Right to Work states he can fire me for any reason, even if he thinks I am ugly or fat. He said 'At-Will' employment means you do whatever I say in the future. Luckily though I was able to find a better job away from that Nazi. All of the staff that worked under him have since departed.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Many people in Right to Work states feel they can never take a day off.
I don't really follow what unions have to do with this. Your example doesn't really go into the details of labor unions. Care you elaborate? Do you feel that people should be forced to join unions?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 PM

573 posts, read 585,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't really follow what unions have to do with this. Your example doesn't really go into the details of labor unions. Care you elaborate? Do you feel that people should be forced to join unions?
My 'elaboration' is that after unions disappeared from my state, pay went down, and layoffs went up. The treatment of employees went to complete crap, as they felt they no longer have to fear wrongful termination suits for firing employees for no reason. Right to work is sold as letting people make more because they don't have to join unions, but what it really does is allow business to get rid of lunch breaks, require OT from employees, and not have to give raises. I'd rather make $20 an hour and pay $2 an hour into a union, than make $12 an hour for the same job and not have security. So no I don't believe people should be forced to join unions, but when you make more money being in one and have job security, why the hell would you NOT want to be in one? You know how degrading it is having your boss tell you that he controls your life?

Old 03-20-2015, 09:23 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
At Will employment allows either party to terminate the working situation w/o notice. It is not related to right to work, which simply forces folks to join a union if one exists at the employer.

All 50 states are At Will states.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM

324 posts, read 427,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Why can't you take it as PTO? Everywhere I have worked that had PTO did not offer sick days. However, I would take a day of PTO if I had to miss work due to illness.
This^^

PTO is for vacation, sick or personal time. So you should be fine, unless you're chronically absent from work, which still wouldn't prevent you from being paid, but you might get a verbal or written warning about it.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Many people in Right to Work states feel they can never take a day off. I was hospitalized with a bad infection in my upper GI tract and had to be put in IV's due to dehydration, and my boss said I was fired if I didn't come in. Well I couldn't come in because I was in a hospital bed, but I took the notes to work and he just 'lectured' me about how in Right to Work states he can fire me for any reason, even if he thinks I am ugly or fat. He said 'At-Will' employment means you do whatever I say in the future. Luckily though I was able to find a better job away from that Nazi. All of the staff that worked under him have since departed.
He was wrong about that. Let him try firing someone because they're black or gay or whatever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
At Will employment allows either party to terminate the working situation w/o notice. It is not related to right to work, which simply forces folks to join a union if one exists at the employer.

All 50 states are At Will states.
if I'm not mistaken, Right to Work means there cannot be a 'closed shop', meaning you CAN'T be forced to join a union as a condition of employment.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
If I call in sick, can my employer say that I have to come in anyway? FYI: we only accrue PTO at my work and generally, sick days are granted as unpaid leave. I have a doctor's note, if that matters.
That's not REALLY what happened, right?

What was the EXACT conversation.

Something like? "Will I get fired for calling out sick?"

"Well yes, you've been out every month for the past six months."

Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 AM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
At my last job, people would take sick leave as soon as they accrued it. Crazy stuff. I even had a co-worker who would get advance sick leave and then go in the hole, ,for sick leave. She really hated that job, but so did I. I can't blame people for calling in sick. I heard that they would create a paper trail for people who abused sick leave. Where I worked you call call in sick two days in a row, if it gets to the third day you are required to have a Dr.'s note. So people could call in sick Monday, Tuesday, come to work Wednesday, then call in sick Thursday/Friday and game the system. Pretty crazy stuff when you get annual and sick leave.

Last edited by Rangerdude_Charlie; 03-21-2015 at 06:46 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 07:57 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
yes, if you claim sick and you are not sick, they can fire you for lying in the timesheet. sick time is not a given its a benefit, they can take it away anytime they want.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:02 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
there a very big corporation here, if you are sick, they will come to your house and check on you, they will sit outside your house and take pictures. they caught one guy that had a heart attack and then six months later caught him roofing his house. took his disabilty away from him, either come back to work or be terminated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment