U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM

765 posts, read 774,392 times

Advertisements

Dont you just hate this catch 22 ?
But im a hard worker all i need is a chance?

Sorry we found someone with experience

Idk if i will hire you because you have no experience

HI SIR WE JUST WANT TO INFORM THAT YOU WERE GREAT IN THE INTERVIEW ( omg i got the job

However ( oh nooooo)

We decided to go with someone that has experience ( grrr)

Thank you America we have such a good job market (not) ;p

Until one day....

Hi sir so we would like to bring you in

Can you bring your social security and blahh blahh

Omg took me damn forever finally
What you guys think of this? Isnt it annoying going thru this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:44 PM

15,038 posts, read 21,785,319 times
It's crazy. Even entry level jobs seem to require experience now. Internships in my day were very hard to get, so you had to hope for someone would hire you without have experience and take a chance.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:11 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,885,138 times
Story of my freakin life. The crazy thing is why would you always need a job? What about things that you do in your free time? Yet a lot of job descriptions will state experience in a way that implies they're looking for something that already had worked.
This catch 22 also puts me in another catch 22. To get a job they say you need to be confident but how can I be confident that an employer will hire me if they haven't?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM

765 posts, read 774,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It's crazy. Even entry level jobs seem to require experience now. Internships in my day were very hard to get, so you had to hope for someone would hire you without have experience and take a chance.

ENTRY level should be entering the damn level of your industry WHAT THE HELL?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:56 PM

10,072 posts, read 4,693,641 times
Seems okay to me. I've seen your rants about this but they don't make much sense to me. Someone in college can get entry experience through internships which aren't that uncommon these days. Or in the trade schools, those provide experience as part of the schooling. Highschool grads just have to start at bottom of the totem pole and work up, and in the same years that it takes for college grad to finish, both will have either 4-5 years of "work experience" or "industry knowledge through books". Seems like everyone at around 22-25 start their careers out fairly evenly. Ignoring that pesky college debt that they shouldn't have that much of in the first place. But that's about the same as the "opportunity" cost of working right out of highschool, doing minimum wage jobs and then earning slightly less over a life time compared to college grads.

Catch 22 on CD seems to be people cant find jobs so they come here to whine/complain and then don't get jobs because they are too busy whining and not applying (mass emailing doesn't count as applying, it's just the internet version of throwing flyers out the window)

Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,885,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Seems okay to me. I've seen your rants about this but they don't make much sense to me. Someone in college can get entry experience through internships which aren't that uncommon these days. Or in the trade schools, those provide experience as part of the schooling. Highschool grads just have to start at bottom of the totem pole and work up, and in the same years that it takes for college grad to finish, both will have either 4-5 years of "work experience" or "industry knowledge through books". Seems like everyone at around 22-25 start their careers out fairly evenly. Ignoring that pesky college debt that they shouldn't have that much of in the first place. But that's about the same as the "opportunity" cost of working right out of highschool, doing minimum wage jobs and then earning slightly less over a life time compared to college grads.

Catch 22 on CD seems to be people cant find jobs so they come here to whine/complain and then don't get jobs because they are too busy whining and not applying (mass emailing doesn't count as applying, it's just the internet version of throwing flyers out the window)
Except internships are hard to come by especially paid ones. I would be happy to get one but I've applied to a few that sounded like something I'd like doing and I got no answer on those either.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 PM

10,072 posts, read 4,693,641 times
Not sure we mean the same thing when i said intership. Mine was a training rotation for clincial work at the hospital. I called it an intership since i was a student but got hands on experience. It was offered like a class so i paid to do it, not get paid for the work. Got a job out of it though.

Another one was working with the professors doing research. Got a published paper for it and would serve as my intership if i went into research or grad school for it.

I basically mean interships offered through the college as part of the coursework and not just a parttime job. Like you get college credits for doing the internship. But you apprentice with them for real experience outside the classroom

Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM

56 posts, read 57,680 times
The issue is there are too many people for the jobs out there. Simply supply and demand.
So employers can be overly picky and exclude:
1. The young trying to get experience
2. Middle aged women trying to get back to work after raising a family
3. Older folks who need or want to supplement their finances
4. People with disabilities
5. The long term unemployed
6. Overly educated people
7. People with only high school

The list goes on and on.

I have noticed if you have one job and want a second (part time), they will hire you over the long term unemployed.

It doesn't help to have connections, too.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 AM

36 posts, read 38,058 times
It's a pendulum that doesn't stop. There's nothing we can do about it, and with the fast growing market it's only going to get worse. I guess you can try with internships, but the only 100% true advice is not to stop applying for jobs and get discouraged. Something will come up eventually.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM

67 posts, read 78,141 times
I know your frustration but do employers who are trying to make money have a moral obligation to hire someone with no experience? (When they can get someone with a few years of experience to do a better job, because they know the work.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or