Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which profession has a higher prestige in the eyes of the public
CPA 36 61.02%
Programmer 23 38.98%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

The majority of people do not rate any of those being a profession of prestige. Most people do not really understand what a CPA is as an example. To many he is just a glorified bookkeeper. The better educated would say a lawyer is a prestigious profession. The lower middle class and down don't hold them up as a prestigious profession. Most people consider computer programmers as geeks.

ln my working life, I worked with a lot of attorneys over the years. Some were very good and earned respect. Then there were the other kind. I knew in the 50s and 60s one of the top 5 attorneys in the United States on a personal basis. Melvin Belli from San Francisco. On the other hand, I have known attorneys that could not even properly prepare a set of papers for real estate, or many other things. The same for CPAs. Some are brilliant like a good friend of mine back in the real estate days. My wife and I would get together with him and his wife for meals every once in a while, when we met at business conferences from Las Vegas to The Grand Cayman Islands where my and I and Chuck and his wife sat together for 10 days. He at one time was considered the best tax accountant/tax attorney in the U.S. His name was Charles Considine. He was so good, he is the man that wrote the Tax Laws for the Grand Cayman Islands. On the other hand, I also have known CPAs that were so bad, I would not trust them with any complicated books.

The Harris Pole showed that Farmers, Ministers, Firefighters and many others are all admired more than any of these 3 professions.

If you are looking to find the profession that will give you the most prestige from the public, unless you are one of the top 2% in the country in your field, you are looking down the wrong road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 10:45 PM

748 posts, read 820,235 times
CPA because of higher job security, and better quality of life (don't have to relearn everything every 5 years).

Old 03-29-2015, 10:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
CPA because of higher job security, and better quality of life (don't have to relearn everything every 5 years).
True, but you have to learn a lot every single year. The tax code isn't stable by any means.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:20 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
It all depends upon where you work and what you do.

I have a number of friends in all the positions you mentioned, and there's no way you can just look at what they do in a completely generic way. Is my friend who's a CPA for Water Reclamation District more "prestigious" than my friend who's a programmer for Fermilab? Is my friend who's an enforcement lawyer for the Federal Reserve more prestigious than my friend who does front end programming for Orbitz? Is my friend who's a contract lawyer for a commercial property company more prestigious than my CPA friend who works in compliance for a large insurance company?

The question is so general that it's ridiculous.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:31 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
The question may not be a great one but it's a general question and I believe the OP is asking for general consensus. The greatest CPA in the world is probably smarter and carries more prestige than the worst lawyer or engineer in the world, etc.

At the very least, lawyers need to take the LSAT, do reasonably well, and attend law school for 3 years. That's more than a CPA or software engineer.

I will say that at least at my alma mater, the undergraduate majors for software engineering (computer science, EE) are much more difficult than econ, pre-law (english, etc.), etc.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I will say that at least at my alma mater, the undergraduate majors for software engineering (computer science, EE) are much more difficult than econ, pre-law (english, etc.), etc.
I don't follow what you're saying here. Are you referring to software engineering, computer science, or EE? I've never heard of a decent school having an undergraduate software engineering program... albeit, I'm not in the software engineering field.

It's worth noting that the OP is referring to a computer programmer.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:36 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
True, but you have to learn a lot every single year. The tax code isn't stable by any means.
Many CPAs do not do tax work, nor do they understand the tax code.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Many CPAs do not do tax work, nor do they understand the tax code.
Many computer programmers do not need to relearn how to program every 5 years...

Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times
I think with both CPA and programmer professions you should worry about weather you like what you do and if you are good at what you do more than the individual prestige of these professions. Both can be grueling. In both you can have aptitudes for them and find out later in life that you do not like them as a profession. So do what you can to make sure either is right for you before committing to them as a career if you can. I also think if you pursue the programming route you should become a subject matter expert in something else first...like say become an engineer or mathematician first and tac on programming later.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:30 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
[quote=nybbler;39009625]Neither one is particularly prestigious. There are prestigious companies to work for in both professions, however, and the ones for programming are better-known to the general public.[/quote]
Really? I don't know of any prestigious computer programming companies. I certainly am not knocking skilled computer programmers. Just saying in some areas at least they are just taken for granted. So my vote would be for the guy that keeps me from having problems with the IRS ,the wonderful CPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment