Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times

Advertisements

To summarize what your boss is trying to say to you: "Please leave"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 PM

67 posts, read 96,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
To summarize what your boss is trying to say to you: "Please leave"
I think I am going to HR and complain or to his boss until he gives me the right to talk to my critics and define success in my job.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
I think I am going to HR and complain or to his boss until he gives me the right to talk to my critics and define success in my job.
See you in the job search forum!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:33 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Good luck with that.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:41 PM

709 posts, read 766,220 times
Quote:
You got some smart-a__ replies to this, but, seriously, you're not going to get the response you expect from HR or his boss. They are not going to take your side on this.

It sucks that your boss took subjective opinions from other people and is basing your review on it, especially without giving specifics. But really, the best thing you can do at this point is swallow your pride, try to guess at how you can do better, and bide your time till you can find something else.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

Well, that will certainly speed up the process.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:07 PM

828 posts, read 908,056 times
OP, by going to HR, you're guaranteed to lose. Why would you do that to yourself? Because your ego has been bruised?

Do everything MPowering1, and you have a much better shot at keeping your job, even if your boss really wanted you out. Which, by the way, we can't possibly know, so ignore those posters who told you you're out the door.

Your reaction to criticism says a lot about you as a professional. Instead of taking the advice like a mature adult, you are on the defensive. If you really want the truth, I would not want someone like you on my team. You're focusing on who said what, not on how you can improve. I can't believe you asked your supervisor to define customer service for you. I would have looked at you straight in the eye and told you the meeting was over.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
What has happened to you, is normal procedure when the boss thinks an employee is not doing their job well. If in doubt, check with other people to find out their opinion of an employee to find out if their personal opinion is right or wrong.

You have no right or privilege to know who said what about you, as it was given in confidence to your boss. It is part of proper management of their department. The boss does this, when he/she already has a bad feel about an employee. The boss wants to know if other people feel the same way as he/she does, or if the boss is wrong about the person. Apparently the boss has found from other employees that they have the same opinion of you and your work as the boss already had.

Your boss, has just told you that you are being reevaluated and if you don't start doing a better job of handling your position that you will be out. In other words, you are on probation and it is up to you to do a lot better, or else you may be replaced.

Instead of wanting to get in a fight with the employees that think you are not doing your job, you had better start figuring out how you can improve. The boss made one of the only two choices he/she had to make. 1: Told you to start pulling your weight and do a better job of earning your money. In other words put you on probation, and notice you had better shape up. 2: Let you go, and replace you. He/she chose #1 and gave you a chance to improve rather than fire you.

Instead of getting angry at your boss, who just used good judgement following normal business world practice when in doubt about an employee asking people he trusts to see if his/her personal judgement is right or wrong, start doing your job better.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

67 posts, read 96,654 times
Default Poor Management

A decent supervisor is never going to manage by gossip like this. It is gossip because none of my hidden critics will go on the record and tell me facts about what I am doing wrong. In fact, historically, I have got nothing but praise from nearly everyone I work with. These so called complaints from the staff are a complete shock to me. I have been working there for two years and have always got good notice from everyone. I was never given a written or oral warning about poor performance. My new boss just hit me with this in my performance review. (A good manager is never going to shock an employee with something like this first in a performance appraisal.)

You guys think I am going to be fired. I doubt it. I work for a very large bureaucratic organization with very strict policies and procedures before someone can be fired. I talked to Human Resources late this afternoon and she told me that a meeting will be set up with The Division Vice Present (My bosses boss), HR, my supervisor, and myself later this week. I will keep you informed what happens.

I am going to commit to top performance and will fight for what is right, I have nothing to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What has happened to you, is normal procedure when the boss thinks an employee is not doing their job well. If in doubt, check with other people to find out their opinion of an employee to find out if their personal opinion is right or wrong.

You have no right or privilege to know who said what about you, as it was given in confidence to your boss. It is part of proper management of their department. The boss does this, when he/she already has a bad feel about an employee. The boss wants to know if other people feel the same way as he/she does, or if the boss is wrong about the person. Apparently the boss has found from other employees that they have the same opinion of you and your work as the boss already had.

Your boss, has just told you that you are being reevaluated and if you don't start doing a better job of handling your position that you will be out. In other words, you are on probation and it is up to you to do a lot better, or else you may be replaced.

Instead of wanting to get in a fight with the employees that think you are not doing your job, you had better start figuring out how you can improve. The boss made one of the only two choices he/she had to make. 1: Told you to start pulling your weight and do a better job of earning your money. In other words put you on probation, and notice you had better shape up. 2: Let you go, and replace you. He/she chose #1 and gave you a chance to improve rather than fire you.

Instead of getting angry at your boss, who just used good judgement following normal business world practice when in doubt about an employee asking people he trusts to see if his/her personal judgement is right or wrong, start doing your job better.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,653 times
Quote:
Yes, my boss, when pressed, through out all kinds of subjective comments about my performance based on conversations with his network (of gossipers). They were things like:

You need to return emails faster

You need to be more likable when dealing with clients and customers

You need to be more creative when dealing with problems

You need to improve your communication skills.

Network with the team better.

Trouble is I feel that I do well in all those things so I asked for details where I did not do a good job in the things above. Of course he could give me any because it would destroy the ability to speak in confidence with his network. My boss and I are at square one. His complaints about me have done nothing but give me less motivation.
I recently worked with someone who sounds exactly like you. It didn't matter what she was told regarding her work, she just never accepted that her work wasn't good - and she never took responsibility for her mistakes and decisions. She worked hard, that wasn't the problem. It's just that she couldn't do the job to the satisfaction of her boss and the company as a whole.

Your boss laid out on a silver platter the things you need to improve on. You don't respond to e-mails fast enough, you're not likable (apparently), you're not creative enough, you don't communicate effectively and you need to participate more. Other than improving your communication skills, I don't see where your boss needs to elaborate any further on any of these points. They're pretty cut and dry.

Sometimes you're not the best person for the position you're in regardless of whether or not you think you are. It doesn't make you a bad person, it just makes you a bad fit. Your lack of motivation now will turn to anger and hostility later, so either suck it up and fix your attitude or find another job. Just understand that bosses are always critical of their subordinates' work (it's kind of what they do), so until your issue with taking criticism lightens up a bit and you make changes within yourself, you're unlikely to find greener pastures elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment