Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 AM

67 posts, read 96,654 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite places for lunch is Chick fil A.

Chick fil A - Home of the Original Chicken Sandwich

I just can't believe how helpful, efficient, friendly and responsive the staff is. Many are like the people who work at Disney. The staff's language skills are great, so the orders are correct and it seems like the food is always fresh, hot and tasty. The place is so clean too.

No, this is not an advertisement for Chick fil A, but instead, hopefully, a discussion about how some companies can get such performance out of their low wage staff, while others can't.

Two Blocks away is a Burger King, Wendy's and KFC. They are all terrible. Most of the staff can't understand my order, the service is slow and the processes inefficient. They never seem to empty the trash and the staff looks rough.

I have a friend whose sons works at Chick fil A and I asked him if they pay any better than places like Burger King, and he said no. They make about $8 an hour.

How does Chick Fil A do it so well and places like Burger King are so terrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM

176 posts, read 180,842 times
Good question.. I've wondered about it myself. My wife loves Chick-fil-a... I can take it or leave it personally, though it seems like the only time I really think about stopping there is on Sunday... and they are closed

I don't frequent them much, but when we do stop for lunch or something, I've always been impressed with how family-friendly they are. It's nice to have a someone come by and ask if we need a refill when we have two kids. Not to mention, for some reason I just feel safer letting the kids go up and ask for refills by themselves, even when they are busy, and it's nice not having some junk toy pushed out in a kids meal that is just going to break 10 seconds after we leave.

I'm guessing that part of it may be the more Christian focus of the company, translating down to training and work environment for the employees. Can't comment on that too much because I personally have an issue with companies touting any religious/political/etc. bias.. but not enough to worry about boycotting. Doesn't matter if they are pro-Christian, pro-LBGT, or pro-Satanism (not that there are any I know of ). Political/religious/whatever beliefs are best kept to yourself IMO.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:24 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
I think the Christian values attracts a certain type of individual which makes the service that much better. If you are a Christian and strive to make ever day a testament to God's glory, I'm pretty sure it results in behavior that is not simply someone going to a job because he has to put food on the table...that too but it's also to glorify God, etc.

In any case, I love chick-fil-a too. I rarely eat fast food but I make only 2 exceptions and this is one of the (the other is In-n-Out).

Old 04-02-2015, 09:28 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I will chime in and say that Chik-Fil-A has the best crew of any fast food chain, bar none -- and by a HUGE margin, too!

Maybe because they get Sundays off, so they know they have at least one day to just relax and be with family and friends?

P.S. It is amazing how many managers don't realize that if their workers aren't happy, it will be reflected in the service they give to their customers. (And I think this applies to all kinds of jobs, not just fast food!)

Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I'm also betting it's related to the fact they are Christian. I'm also thinking they have a good management program in place, along with sound hiring decisions.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I think the Christian values attracts a certain type of individual which makes the service that much better. If you are a Christian and strive to make ever day a testament to God's glory, I'm pretty sure it results in behavior that is not simply someone going to a job because he has to put food on the table...that too but it's also to glorify God, etc.

In any case, I love chick-fil-a too. I rarely eat fast food but I make only 2 exceptions and this is one of the (the other is In-n-Out).
Good grief. I don't understand how every single thread ends up having Christianity thrown in there, no matter how unrelated it is to the topic at hand. I just read a thread about useless makeup products and a poster said being a good Christian keeps your skin clear better that skin cleansers! But since you mentioned religion, I'll point out that the most religious states have the highest rates of teen pregnancy, suicide, lowest incomes per capita, highest rates of welfare enrollees, and homicide. So I doubt religion plays a part in the good attitudes of Chik-Fil-A workers It's more likely to be a higher rate of pay and maybe other benefits such as health insurance.

One thing I also noticed is that they always have plenty of workers to fulfill the huge number of orders they have. No one ever seems overwhelmed because they are not understaffed. That factor alone can really help improve employee morale. Remember what happened when Walmart cut staff to save labor costs. The already poor attitude of Walmart workers got even worse. I love Chick-Fil-A also. It and Whataburger are the fast food places I go to most of the time.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:11 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times
I think the main reason is the hiring process isn't hindered by Corporate HQ. They allow the store owner to make the hiring decisions. Also, the store manager is there at pretty much all times. I think as your business/corporation gets larger legal concerns over improper hiring practices and the fact you don't know the owner, etc. Make it to where workers care less. Chick-Fil-A, to this point, has done a very good job of treating each store as a small business.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
They pay more than most companies as well. I know here they came into the schools to talk about what a great company it is to work for and the company culture being great.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:31 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
As other quick service restaurants close their doors, Chick-fil-A opens its doors to more stores. It has no problem serving great food at reasonable prices with excellent service. Chick-fil-A hires quality people to be its team members and instills the importance of service, good work ethics and hard work across all levels of hierarchy. Team members who constantly go above and beyond will go far.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
I notice they tend to have locations in better areas with a better quality populace so that could be a difference. Back when I lived in Allentown PA the nearby mickey D's was staffed by nearly illiterate latinos and the window near the drive thru had a bullet hole and shattered glass in the stenciled Ronald McDonald.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment