Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:31 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Obviously works for some, but not an option at my age and my lack of a STEM degree.

Job hopping: The fast way to earn more money - Apr. 3, 2015

Quote:
Many Americans are stuck with stagnant wages, but Ben Baxter has scored a 31% pay hike since the end of 2011.

No, the 28-year-old Alabama resident didn't hypnotize his employer into giving him a raise. He didn't master a secret salary negotiating strategy either.

Baxter just felt confident enough about the economy to jump from job to job in order to boost his salary. He's quit six different engineering jobs since February 2013, including two positions since last summer.
"I tend to change jobs about every six to twelve months. It's the best way to increase salary," Baxter told CNNMoney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
You can do that. And you will get increases. The problem is...

-You'll get labeled as a job hopper. Owners and management want people they can train to do the things they do, the way they do them. So, if you are there a year, and jet, it doesn't really pay off for them. And other prospective companies will be wary.

-Typically what you do at different companies changes. Three different companies may all make widgets, but one specializes in Widget A, another Widget B, another Widget C. There may be some crossover. But when you change jobs, you'll typically lose a significant amount of your experience. So, you may be sitting there after 8 years of experience, and 5 different jobs as a jack of a few different trades, mediocre at all. This is a problem because they will expect you to be senior and take on responsibility and train. And if you can't because you've bounced around too much, you're in trouble.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 AM

311 posts, read 477,923 times
Actually, this guys accomplishment isn't even all that impressive. He had to change jobs six times to get a 31% raise? Keep in mind that this guy is a 28-year old engineer; that is right around the time that most engineers experience their greatest rate of salary growth (you are usually hired pretty cheap right out of school, but as you learn valuable skills, your value to employers grows pretty quickly. Conversely, a guy with 20 years of experience vs. 15 years of experience provides only a very marginal increase in skills).

At that age, I got a better raise then that by changing jobs once; not because I'm anything special, but because its the easiest time to score big raises.

Spending only six months at an engineering job means you provide basically no value to an employer; heck it usually takes that long just to get all the kinks worked out with IT, getting permissions to required workgroups, getting the software you need, etc.

Nothing wrong with job hopping, but unless this guy is providing basically contract help, I think hopping every 6 months is a little too often...

Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
I've got job hopper stamped right on my forehead. Guess what... Nobody cares anymore. They just want people who can do their job efficiently. They also know, when the company no longer has a use for me, they will pitch me like last week's left overs.

The nice thing about job hopping... Trade secrets

Got a problem? I have probably encountered a solution some time in my career. Somebody has to replace these boomers. They are dropping like flies in my profession.

By the way, I didn't job hop for money. I job hopped for experience, which can translate into a better income.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
The employers will have no qualm about getting rid of you at first opportunity. You must be the same when it comes to jumping ship.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There are other ways to earn more. In my case, it was two promotions in 3 years, plus annual performance based increases so that I now make 55% more than when I started in 2009 here. A relative went to school at night to get a Masters in two years and increased pay by 45%. There is more risk to the job hopping, it's still considered a negative by most employers, despite the increases in salary. No one wants to hire someone that's only going to stay a short time.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:19 AM

176 posts, read 180,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The employers will have no qualm about getting rid of you at first opportunity. You must be the same when it comes to jumping ship.
This is very dependent on the company IMO. We have yet to do any layoffs in the IT sector in our company in the 15 years I've worked for them. Granted, it is a healthcare company, but they have been very stable. We have more people who leave than who get fired.. and firing someone is extremely difficult through the HR process (took us over 8 months to fire someone who blatantly slept at work and listened t earphones during meetings).

For us, when we are interviewing, one of the major things we look at is how long we think (can never be sure of course) that the prospective employee will remain at least with the company.. and preferably in that position. We'e had some "job hoppers" and have passed since the time it takes to get them up to speed with our corporate policies/procedures/infrastructure is important and we don't need to waste that time on someone who is going to jump ship in 6 months for "greener pastures".

Old 04-03-2015, 09:53 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
This is all good when it works. But when it doesn't, you're screwed as you can't undo being a job hopper. And yea, for a 25-30 year old just starting out, job hopping is somewhat normal as you are looking for different opportunities to gain experience. Try doing that when you are in management.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM

71 posts, read 82,083 times
The guy in the article is changing jobs every 6-12 months ... why not just be a consultant and set your own rate?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
IMO it is not the responsibility of the individual employee to stay with an organization that pays him/her less than another down the street. Org’s create job hoppers by not paying them or giving them the benefits or providing the environment that will make them stay. And it’s not like they don’t have an opportunity to do that. When someone says they are putting in their notice, that puts the ball in the org’s court – match it, better it, or let them go. When org’s are ready to play ball in order to keep good people, that’s when job hopping will decrease.

And frankly, the job hopping is good for us...the employees. The more people that move, the more that wages will go up. Wage stagnation has been a huge issue right? Moving from job to job will force org’s to compete, thereby driving up salaries for others.

I don’t think hopping is a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment