U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 AM

115 posts, read 141,285 times

Advertisements

Is is possible to politely decline eating lunch with coworkers everyday? How do you do it without offending anyone? For example if your teams likes to go out to eat everyday and you just can't afford it what would you say without everyone thinking you're cheap or broke?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

648 posts, read 497,467 times
I got tired of eating lunch with co-workers. I just go the local grocery and pick up some lunch. I don't like the politics of eating lunch. I am a celiac, so I tell people I can't eat wheat. Sometimes over my career, I have found people I enjoy eating lunch with. But at other times, I end up with people who a) try to be dominant or b) badmouth the company or bosses or c) have other issues. I also want a short lunch break, like 15 minutes. I don't like taking a long lunch.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,695,871 times
"Thanks for the invite, but I'm on a strict budget."

Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM

12,184 posts, read 10,353,957 times
Or thanks for the invite but I brought my lunch.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
Is is possible to politely decline eating lunch with coworkers everyday? How do you do it without offending anyone? For example if your teams likes to go out to eat everyday and you just can't afford it what would you say without everyone thinking you're cheap or broke?
Yes, I used to decline a lot because I really couldn't afford to go out to eat as often as they did. I would just say, "Oh, sorry, I have errands to run" or "I have other plans" or "I am determined to lose a few so I'm walking at lunchtime."

After a while they didn't ask me much anymore. But then, I got to the opposite point where I realized I had removed myself from the circles of the people who were at my level and with whom I should be keeping up some sort of relationship, so I started carting in my lunch to save money so that once or twice a month I COULD go to lunch with them, and I started to ask if they had tried to the new Thai place and why don't we all go. It worked out. Balance is the key.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM

6,226 posts, read 5,359,024 times
I usually take my breaks and lunches outside in my car and either read or listen to the radio. I'm not part of the "clique" at my workplace and have never been invited.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM

3,279 posts, read 6,606,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
I got tired of eating lunch with co-workers. I just go the local grocery and pick up some lunch. I don't like the politics of eating lunch. I am a celiac, so I tell people I can't eat wheat. Sometimes over my career, I have found people I enjoy eating lunch with. But at other times, I end up with people who a) try to be dominant or b) badmouth the company or bosses or c) have other issues. I also want a short lunch break, like 15 minutes. I don't like taking a long lunch.
Yeah, whenever I eat lunch with coworkers, they often badmouth other people in the office. That or they start talking about work (I'm not being paid for my lunch time, so I don't want to hear it), or they start talking about their personal lives, which I could care less about.

I try to run out the door as early as possible before someone asks me to join them for lunch.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:47 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,989,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNW2015 View Post
Not only is it possible, I'd say it's harder to not be polite. It's just lunch. If you decline (for whatever reason) and someone gets offended, then the issue is them, not you.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

17,035 posts, read 17,348,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
"Thanks for the invite, but I'm on a strict budget."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Or thanks for the invite but I brought my lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I used to decline a lot because I really couldn't afford to go out to eat as often as they did. I would just say, "Oh, sorry, I have errands to run" or "I have other plans" or "I am determined to lose a few so I'm walking at lunchtime."

After a while they didn't ask me much anymore. But then, I got to the opposite point where I realized I had removed myself from the circles of the people who were at my level and with whom I should be keeping up some sort of relationship, so I started carting in my lunch to save money so that once or twice a month I COULD go to lunch with them, and I started to ask if they had tried to the new Thai place and why don't we all go. It worked out. Balance is the key.
Good points.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM

717 posts, read 591,203 times
"Thanks but brought my lunch today!" if they have an issue with that, that's on them. it's all about office culture. at my current work no one goes out to eat together b/c everyone is busy working through their lunch. it'd actually seem kinda weird to go out together in groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or