Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar thread on this recently, but later realized it was a bit thin on details. So here goes:

I graduated in 2007.

In the weeks leading up to graduation, all I could think about was finally being able to leave the ivory tower and make good money in Corporate America.

Unfortunately, I hit the job market just as the recession was picking up steam. I got laid off once and confronted other issues during my first two years in the "real world." Eventually, I got settled in the travel/tourism industry, which I continue to work in to this day.

I have felt a bit of a void in my life since leaving college. My mom raised my sisters and I to be very dedicated and driven students, so once school was out of the picture, it immediately felt as though something was missing.

I have yet to pursue a master's degree for several reasons (1) I wanted to get real-world experience (2) I didn't know what I wanted to get the master's in (3) I was hoping I could get tuition reimbursement through an employer. (My current employer offered it until the recession hit).

I have a bachelor's degree in marketing and a minor in psychology. I work on the communications/creative side (writing copy for brochures, letters, web content). My passion is writing, editing, and proofreading. Yes, you can say I'm numbers-averse.

I'm looking for new opportunities in higher education for several reasons:
- I love learning, reading, writing
- I want to work in a field where I feel I am making a difference
- The college years were the best time of my life -- I loved studying and feeling intellectually challenged
- Corporate America is beginning to feel stultifying. People in my company are very resistant to change. What's more, I want to do more writing-- lots of it. Since we work mostly on inserts and brochures (which consist mostly of boilerplate text fed to us by other departments), there's very little writing involved. Anything remotely creative is done by my boss, who hands me the easier stuff that involves editing and proofreading.
- Private is mostly about making money -- I feel little satisfaction at the end of the day

This isn't the first time I have contemplated working in higher ed. I interviewed for a position at my alma mater a few months prior to graduation, but didn't the job. In 2011, I interviewed for a post at the two-year college where I earned my associate's degree, but didn't get that one either.

I realize that landing jobs at universities -- whether teaching positions or those administrative in nature -- is challenging. From what I have heard and read, it's very competitive, and the positions usually go to internal candidates.

I once entertained the idea of teaching, but I've heard horror stories about adjuncts making lousy salaries. I have also been told that you have to be willing to relocate because openings in any one city can be scant. Thirdly, I love writing, so I'd probably be more interested in "teaching" through my writing (publishing) than verbally in front of 200 people.

The ideal job would be something that blends academic content with writing and editing without forcing me to give lectures. Does that even exist? Probably not, unless I can find something for an academic publishing company. However, it seems even those companies want people with teaching experience.

Since I have my misgivings about teaching, I sense getting a master's wouldn't even be worth it in the long run.

Here are my questions:

- Does not having a master's preclude me from even getting administrative positions (marketing manager, writer, etc.)?
- My concern is that working in an administrative role -- say, as a writer for the publications department -- is not "academic" enough in nature. Will I feel like I am working for any company in the private sector?
- Would a position like "instructional designer" be closer to what I'm looking for?
- Do I have a naive view of what working in higher education is really like? My concern is that I am using my experience as a student to fuel my interest in working in an academic setting, and I will be in for a completely different experience that will have me itching to go back to private.

I look forward to your replies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:04 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
Keep dreaming. I suggest that you wake up and stop seeking shortcuts and avoiding reality. I know everyone wants to bury their head in the sand, but in the long run that will hurt you more. Confront reality head on. Think about how to advance your career instead of hiding out in what you percieve as a safe haven. It's time to cut the cord as they say.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:57 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
You should know a lot of entry level "soft" professional jobs at universities are sort of earmarked for recent grads and spouses of professors. They do this to manipulate their job stats by giving new grads that could not find jobs a 1 or 2 year stint as an admissions officer or development officer, so they are counted as employed. The spouses get a job preference to help recruit professors to move to the campus. You can't stick an spouse that is an English major in the IT department, but you certainly can put them stuff like marketing or development. So it doesn't surprise me that you'd have a hard time finding positions at a college. If you are really interested in a career in an academic environment, you should network with the head of the department of wherever you went to school and see if they can mentor you to do the things that you need to do. For example, there could be a trade association that a lot of college marketing people go to and is a big source of networking and job interviews.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
My experience in higher ed is contrary to that of slimo4. Very few jobs go to following spouses or recent grads. Also, in my experience, few entry level jobs go to internal candidates.

Yes, you are naive in the extreme. It is a job. It is work. While the product is "education," the business of education is very much a business. Unless you are faculty, forget about doing anything academic. If you want to mentor students, look into Student Development and a grad degree in College Student Personnel.

Your degree would obviously put you in the marketing and branding department, although entry level HR might be an option. Entry level admissions is also a possibility, as is alumni relations. Be aware that it is not uncommon for these positions to require experience or internships in the field.

The PR people/writers that I have known have all had journalism degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment