Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 AM

19 posts, read 25,559 times

Advertisements

I recently read somewhere that a resume should never use 1st person pronouns like I,we or me , however the resume should still be always in first person. I'm a bit confused and am not able to rephrase my opening paragraph, which reads:

"I am a Marketer, Entrepreneur and a Blogger. I’ve been marketing online for 9+ years
now and have launched several software products in past, that have grossed 5 - 6 figures in
sales, and have been a part of many other product launches. I currently run 2 high traffic
media websites and provide marketing consultation and services to my clients"

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times
https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu...arch_2014.ashx

Old 04-06-2015, 10:48 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Just a quick stab:

Experienced marketer, entrepreneur and blogger with over 9 years of online marketing experience. Led the launch of several software products grossing six figures in sales; and provided key support for various other product launches. Currently run two high traffic media websites and provide marketing consultation and services.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM

595 posts, read 1,255,381 times
You don't plenty of people who have been hired use "I, me, my, etc." Just as the experts say to always wear a closed toe shoe or structured jacket plenty of sandal cardigan wearers have gotten the job. Dressing for the position you want could make you stand out and make others feel you are stand offish and not a team player.

Too many of these rules are broken or erratically applied.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:14 AM

However, when I pointed this out at a job seminar I was recommended for home health care positions which I have never done and the starting wage was lower than before and only part time. I noticed this in their reference materials and wanted to know what was correct what was stated or what was printed.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
You don't plenty of people who have been hired use "I, me, my, etc." Just as the experts say to always wear a closed toe shoe or structured jacket plenty of sandal cardigan wearers have gotten the job. Dressing for the position you want could make you stand out and make others feel you are stand offish and not a team player.

I agree with this to a point. The key here is that what is acceptable/normal is up to the person on the other end reading your resume. So using pink, scented resume paper may actually work in your favor... but the odds on that is likely slim.

I've definitely seen narrative resumes where the narration is in the 1st or 3rd person. However, it is rare, and most are for contract work (and often responding to a RFP).

Old 04-06-2015, 12:57 PM

19 posts, read 25,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Excellent resource. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Just a quick stab:

Experienced marketer, entrepreneur and blogger with over 9 years of online marketing experience. Led the launch of several software products grossing six figures in sales; and provided key support for various other product launches. Currently run two high traffic media websites and provide marketing consultation and services.
Thanks a ton. You're awesome!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I agree with this to a point. The key here is that what is acceptable/normal is up to the person on the other end reading your resume. So using pink, scented resume paper may actually work in your favor... but the odds on that is likely slim.

I've definitely seen narrative resumes where the narration is in the 1st or 3rd person. However, it is rare, and most are for contract work (and often responding to a RFP).
Exactly as macroy said. I've been doing contract work and always used 1st person narration. I sent my previous resume (which had "I") to multiple companies and the response was low.

Also, do you guys think mentioning "entrepreneur" in the resume could go against me, since most of the companies won't consider someone who is self employed/entrepreneur (that's what I think)..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:06 PM

It's not saying first person, pink print or scented paper is the norm or preferred. Just that it's not the be all and end all. BTW, it's a warm climate here but many places want the collarbone completely covered. Tell me upfront, it's a dealbreaker for $10 an hour or less.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM

928 posts, read 1,100,947 times
Quote:
It's not saying first person, pink print or scented paper is the norm or preferred. Just that it's not the be all and end all. BTW, it's a warm climate here but many places want the collarbone completely covered. Tell me upfront, it's a dealbreaker for $10 an hour or less.
Yourposts are amateurish. There is an established format that gets resumes read. Using 3rd person, action verbs and quantifiable numbers is a proven way to get more attention. There are folks who win the lottery but that's not a great career strategy by any means. Atop giving out bad advice.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:22 PM

777 posts, read 1,871,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
The number of grammatical errors in the sample résumés is astonishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment