Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am 24 years old and have had several jobs before but now it seems that no matter what I do, how hard I try or how much time I put into filling out online apps that I am getting no where. Now I personally think that online apps are worthless but I do them anyway. One reason is because every business I go into says "Apply online".

I attempted suicide in 2011 by overdose after losing my last job but unfortunately after I went to sleep I woke up and out of no where vomited up everything. I had no money, no car, no credit history, nothing. I still have none of those things and wake up daily wishing I had succeeded in my previous attempt. I do not want to rely on anyone to sustain a decent living, I would rather die. For some reason I cannot get the courage to try again.

I have no emotions left, I can't cry anymore, my mind is completely blank. I do not have much of a social life but I am a quiet and reserved person anyway, it doesn't bother me that much. I have been living with my mother since we moved to North Carolina around 2006. My father passed while I was in my last couple years of high school, he left me a little over $20,000 but my mother took every last penny and bought herself a nice new SUV. Even though there was nothing wrong with her current vehicle and told me "I have been taking care of you my whole life." Also, "I have spent more money than that buying groceries while you are living with me." All because I said, well if you've given me the money, I wouldn't be here living with you. I said that because she started ranting about me not working out of no where. Not believing or not caring that I am trying.

I am a cigarette smoker. "But wait, you don't work, how do you afford to smoke?" I go out at night to a few places and take the tobacco out of the previously smoked cigarettes in receptacles and roll it in papers... pretty sad I know. At this point I am just flustered, I contacted a temp agency today even though the last one I applied at went no where. I am desperate.

After e-mailing some rep back and forth she tells me that someone from the main office would e-mail me shortly, great!

Then I receive this:

Greetings,

Thank you for interest in this position. We tried contacting you at the number provided but we were not successful. For more information about our positions or to schedule an interview, please feel free to submit your resume or contact our National Recruitment Center at the information below.

....I never provided a phone number.

I'm not pandering for attention I know there are other people here that share my frustration and I just wanted to share my story up to this point. The advice I would like is, how do you stay busy? I feel so drained and tired even though I don't really do anything but apply online and walk for about 3 miles periodically to get pre-loved cigarettes, then back to my mothers laptop to apply on snag-a-job.

Happy late Eater also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
um, first off, committing suicide isn't about "courage", it's cowardly to try to escape life. In any case, see a professional about it.

Isn't there mom and pop stores there? I can walk into any dozen of them in town and talk to the owners/managers and at least get an interview. Might not get a job, but you don't have to apply online either.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:01 PM

115 posts, read 198,606 times
I understand. Sometime no matter what we try nothing works. Many people attempt to say get any job but sometime there literally aren't any jobs. Overqualified or not qualified enough is two walls that you're probably hitting. I get it. All you can do is keep trying. Trouble doesn't last always. Pray and if possible talk to someone you trust. If there isn't anyone talk to the Suicide Prevntion Hotline. Lifeline you can chat with someone online or call. I've been there and have felt hopeless and helpless and only thing you can do is not give up.

Try a new scene. When those thoughts come, go for a walk, to the library or park or watch tv anything to distract yourself.

Other than snag a job try indeed, careerbuilder and monster

Also try some government agencies such as the department of public services or your state unemployment agency for financial and job help.

Hang in there. Things will eventually get better

Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
If you are not getting any calls, your resume is terrible.

Go to career skills and job hunting groups. You can check out meetups, church groups, community centers, non-profits. There are many free classes. Attend 2 of them and start following advice. If the advice of one group works out better, keep attending that one. You can drop the other one.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Well I do agree about the online applications being worthless in the way of how long they take and pointless questions.. most time repeating.

anyways, dont give up! I have been submitting and calling nonstop looking for work. Starts to feel that somethings wrong with you, I havent gotten 1 interview and gotten several rejection emails! Please dont feel your the only one struggling.. your not. You need to stay confident, positive, because it will get better! Im a firm believer in things happen for a reason. The right thing will come along, but you dont want to miss it. Keep looking and trying!

Old 04-07-2015, 04:05 AM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Even a 2 hr a week min wage job will buy you a few packs of cigs, but more and more places are requiring employees to be nicotine free not just forbidding smoking on the job. More importantly, think of every cold, flu and more serious diseases you are risking by sharing smokes with unknown strangers.

If you are feeling blank, I think reaching out to the organizations already shared is a very good possibility. Have you seen the commercial with the young girls who start out with low personal goals but build up, that can apply to any gender, any age group!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:09 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If you are not getting any calls, your resume is terrible.

Go to career skills and job hunting groups. You can check out meetups, church groups, community centers, non-profits. There are many free classes. Attend 2 of them and start following advice. If the advice of one group works out better, keep attending that one. You can drop the other one.
Someone in this kind of position probably has worse issues than just a poorly written resume.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM

371 posts, read 886,447 times
Can you please tell me if you were laid off from your previous positions?

Thanks.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I'm very sorry to read your struggle has impacted you in such a serious way that you've tried taking your life. It sounds like you're depressed and could use some help. Please see if you can get some therapy without having to pay if you don't have insurance. It will help you get through the highs and lows of life that we all endure.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,295 times
It's time to explore your options. You have nothing to lose at the moment. But first, you need to fix yourself. You might need to talk to a non profit counselor or start reading up on some self help book to refocus on having more confidence and believing in yourself. You need to change your attitude and personality to something someone wants to work with.

Look for a trade and see if anything interests you. If possible, go learn that trade. My brother in law's best friend wasn't the smartest guy but he loves cars. Learn the how to fix cars. He makes his living fixing salvage car and selling it. He developed a long client base. Now he owns his own shop and has a crew. He paid cash for a $600K home a few years ago.

Have you consider doing odd things to get by at the moment?

Like just flipping things? Buy low, sell a little higher. An old friend of mine did that when he was in college. He was making good money too. Buying something for cheap at garage sale, thrift store, etc, turn around and sell it for more. Truth was, he was making more money than I did at the time and I had a full time job.

Another guy I met years ago tried to sell Kirby vacuums and wasn't doing too well, so he got himself a commercial carpet cleaner and hustle every day from door to door making a living carpet shampoo people's home.

You have to retrain yourself but have you thought about sales? Honestly, if you find the right product and place. It could be a life saver. I was looking to buy a car at a Nissan dealership years ago and I ended up having a conversation with my sales guy. His situation was similar to your's. With just a GED and dead end jobs after dead end jobs, he figure he had nothing else to lose. Car dealership is always hiring so he gave it a shot. I didn't buy a car that day. A year later, I went back to the dealership, he got promoted to sales manager. I guess he found his calling.

A college friend of mine was working at a hotel chain as customer service. Dead up job with dead end income, despite having a economic degree. He thought he would get into a management program but things didn't work out. So, he went and got his life insurance license to sell insurance. Struggled at first but when things started clicking, things just clicks. A year and half later, he got promoted to manager and that was a decade ago. Spoke to him last year at another friend's B-day party, he said that he's a regional manager now. That's where the money is at.

Now, these instances are rare and you may not get the same results because in life effort, will, determination, and luck matters. But hey, the old saying goes: if they can, why can't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment