U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
32 posts, read 156,395 times
Reputation: 20


I would appreciate some feedback for my employment sitaution. I have been informed that I have a job offer in another state. I have been waiting for 7 1/2 months to get this job. I need time to fulfill my obligation to my current employer and also need time to relocate to the other state. I spoke with my future supervisor and I told him that I was targeting April 14th as the start date due to the above mentioned reasons. He told me that ultimately the start date is my call, but that they are understaffed and he would like for me to start in early March. I did tell him that I could be somewhat flexible and start at the end of March. Finally he asked me to think it over and get back to him with the start date. I didn't tell him that I could really just use a little down time in between jobs- starting a new job and relocating to a new area are going to be stressful enough and I don't want to be rushed in doing this- plus I may want to have a little time to relax and explore the new area where I'll be living before I settle on a place to live. I just don't feel that it's my obligation to start earlier than I wanted because they are understaffed, I feel that they should be recruiting more potential employees, not pressuring new employees to start before they want to.
Am I being unreasonable in wanting to stick to my April 14th start date? I understand that there are people starting in April and May at the same employer, so I just think that they should give me a little breathing room to settle my business here and relocate without having to feel rushed. I really don't feel that by sticking to the April 14th start date that the job offer would be jeopardized- but I don't want there to tension or uneasiness between my future supervisor and I because we couldn't see eye to eye on the start date.

Thanks for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 20,658,966 times
Reputation: 4997
My current supervisor was disappointed I couldn't start a week earlier...but he got over it pretty quick once I was in the door. If it's not going to jeopardize the job offer, I would not worry about it too much. However, compromising would show your new boss early on that you are a team player. Maybe compromise with an April 1st or 7th start date, if it suits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Location: Maryland
1,667 posts, read 7,952,150 times
Reputation: 1584
You didn't state what type of job it is,or what offer you are bringing to the table that your new boss wants, so I'll try to give my generic opinion. To be devil's advocate, I would say that this isn't time for spring break. If you can, jump right into the new job. Rent for 6 months to find best place near where you work and get familiar with area. You want this job, show it. The boss will realize that you've sacrificed for the new position, and will be considered for upcoming promotions if you can jump right in. He got to be boss by feeling that this business is the most important thing in the world. If you want to be an average laborer, take your time. If you're shooting for upper management, there will be many sacrifices. Your choice. But, in this day of mass layoffs and unemployment, if you had what it took to get your foot in the door, now is not the time to relax. Sorry for being curt, this is not "no child left behind". You don't need to be Machiavelian, but as Herbert Spencer said, "Survival of the fittest". The U.S. Marines call it "AIAO" (Adapt Improvise and Overcome).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 AM
10,744 posts, read 15,493,410 times
Reputation: 14462
You have not yet started but are already complaining about pressure and making suggestions on how to run the business? Do you really want that job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
60 posts, read 288,757 times
Reputation: 36
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have not yet started but are already complaining about pressure and making suggestions on how to run the business? Do you really want that job?
I would say that from Jan 15th to mid-April is a long time to wait from the employers point of view. I think they are being generous with an end-of-march timeframe.

I just had a similar experience, and ultimately I didn't take the job. I had the offer end of Jan and they wanted me to start 4 weeks later. Their "policy" was 10 business days from offer acceptance!

But I needed six weeks to move myself and family from New Jersey... wife, and a one and two year old. Time to wrap up loose ends at work, put the house on the market, find accommodations in Atlanta... and importantly... collect my 2007 bonus paying on Feb 29th. The new company had offered some sign-on, but it didn't cover the full value of the bonus.

I asked for the two additional weeks and they said "no", not negotiable. It's not like I'd be curing cancer in the new job (marketing gig at the big sugar-water company downtown). So I was left with no option but to decline the offer... I didn't want to forego my bonus... but more importantly... can they really not wait two weeks? Is six weeks from offer acceptance to start date too much to ask for? I became very concerned that I was not dealing with reasonable people. The money was decent, cost of living in Atlanta nice... but jeez, the company sure was wacky. I took the inflexibility as a bad sign and stayed in my perfectly fine but slightly lower paying position in the NE. Suddenly moving my entire family to a new city to work for the only consumer products company in town seemed risky, based on how I was already being treated like one among the herd even before offer acceptance.

P.S. I had been clear on mid-March from Day 1, even before interviews...

Long story short, your future employer is being more than reasonable based on my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Location: Seattle, WA
1,368 posts, read 5,786,180 times
Reputation: 533
I just got an offer thats going to have a start date sometime end of Feb.

I'd work out a compromise, I think 6 weeks is plenty of time to give notice, find a place, move and settle. 6 weeks from now is mid to end march.

Your boss is obviously willing to be flexible, but compromise and start off well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 19,916,274 times
Reputation: 3587
Offer to start should be 2 weeks if local, 3 weeks if a move is involved for most jobs. That allows you to give 2 weeks (never more unless contractually obligated) and a week to move. That is all you should need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Location: southern california
53,698 posts, read 70,219,660 times
Reputation: 45362
IMHO until there is offer and acceptance with start date, wage, and location, its not reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM
5,244 posts, read 4,129,420 times
Reputation: 1831
In my opinion, it is standard to give a current employer a 2 week notice. It is up to your current employer to find a replacement within that time or whatever but you should be okay w/a 2 week notice. That said, a job relocation would be done after that. If they are moving you, they know what is all involved and they would probably give you at least 1 weekend to visit, find an apt, make arrangements to get movers. If they are not moving you, they still know it does not take 2 months to move. I agree w/another poster that this is not a "break" for you, this is a job that you have been waiting for you. Now that you have it, you want it to wait for you??? You should have known what you were getting into when you decided to relocate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
245 posts, read 789,521 times
Reputation: 77
We are faced with the same issue...as of today - if my husband receives his OOT offer, my suggestion is an April 1st (first Tuesday) is the best time for the family as a whole.

so 6 weeks for us total

2 to current employer, 1-2 weeks to get house ready for sale and on the market
1 week to move from DET to CLT and 1 week contingent to start early just in case the move is smooth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top